xisto Community
poy

Dot.tk

all of these are great...but i didnt see anyone mention

http://www.noip.com/
'>No-IP

this is not the same as the other links that you guys have...instead a url redirection/shortening (which it can do i beleive) it redirects to an ip addres...i use this to host my site on my computer at home. my site is on my hard drive on a simple computer i built that has windows 2000 advance server on it...i used IIS (inertnet information services) to host a folder on the hard drive (folder contains my .htm files) it uses a port that i specify mine is XXXXX ;) (like id tell you) that allows my site to be viewd by anyone on my internal network by going to my ip address and the port and the page index.htm so id looke like 192.102.3.103:XXXXX/index.htm then with my router i forwarded the port (so that people on the internet/external network can access it). then all i did was go to no-ip.com and gave them my url (192.102.3.103:xxxxx/index.htm) and they forwarded it to a shortened url...which i selected oringinaldesigns.myftp.org ... and they also masked my original url

this site i believe works the same as the other...but offers a little bit more than some...and i prolly coulda used the other sites or anythign to do that same...but i prefer this site :D always allows for more options...

also they use an account...it is all free...you just have to sign up for an account and that will keep track of all the urls/ips or anything you have redirected...you can go in and modify them at any time by logging into your account...it is great B)

Dot.TK sucks. I've used it for many of my websites and I got annoyed by the delayed service. Oh yeah http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is somehow ...not registered? That's exactly what I got most of the time when I signed up for a Dot.TK website. That's why I moved to CJB.NET I think it's the best one because it's the most common compared to the .co.nr and .tt because those are forgettable. A lot of people remember cjb.net better but unless you can find a free .com host, .COM, .ORG, .NET are the preferable domains. All in all, don't go for the two letter domains because they will be easy to forget. CJB.NET is easy even though it's longer than most of them, but the .NET part just makes it easier. Short URL with them .vze.com .2ya.com ---don't use them, i tried them already and tried to get my friends and family to get to my site but they kept forgetting the ".2ya.com" thing, and also they wonder what it even means like .vze?! I think it's pointless. CJB.Net they won't question, they'll just simply go there.

I agree, especially when you can use uni.cc which also provides DNS, that makes it great! you can integrate it into your Xisto hosting, it also has no ads and it is pretty speedy. Fast sign up too and in my case, fast domain propagation, even though i live in a different country :oIf you are looking for a good free domain service:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i dont know if it is just me but everytime i go into a dot tk domain i have to disable norton :o i never had to before i now a mate who stopped using .tk because they kept putting pop ups on his site if there was a free domain i would go for .co.nr they are the best. in my opinion

I'm not sure if this is old or maybe new to many of you but yea http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en does give .tk urls out for free and you don't have to have any banners on it if you wish not too. Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose but time :o Keep in mind that if you don't get enough hits they will kill your url. Hope this helps people who were looking for a free url redirection.

The problem with this is that people with embeded ad blockers (like me) wont see the page because the embeded ad blocker thinks the whole page is a ad so you just get a completly blank page.

.tk is greatDot.tk

I don't know how recently any of you have used .Tk but it's great now. I signed up for an account and I was even able to adjust their DNS zone records to point to my DNS servers. I also like how you don't have to use .Tk's name servers. I have yet to see any ads and I am even a part of their ambassador program (bit of a ponzi scheme but good nonetheless).I have three domains pointing at my servers: michaelwashere.Tk maldridge.Co.Cc and maldridge.Veeserve.ComOf the three .Tk is the fastest followed by the co.Cc last is the one that actually goes with the server (maldridge.Veeserve.Com)

-reply by Michael

about dot tkDot.tk

I like dot tk too but how do I add ports to it like I would just use the default port 80 but mine and my brothers xbox uses that port and it needs to be set to the pc but then the xbox;s wont conect proper so I usein port 81 and it works good when I use http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ but how do u add port numbers to tk's site?

-reply by Terry

I like http://www.co.cc/ the most because you can redirect to your site and you can either have it do a redirect to your exact domain, or have it keep the mydomain.cc. I noticed I get traffic from co.cc, either through their site, or through search engines.Another thing is basically.. if i wanted to create a subdomain on my website for someone else, and I didn't want people to know that they were coming to my site, than I could just give them a link to that domain.For example...mydomain.comPerson subsection is:myfriendsarea.mydomain.comThe domain I give people:myfriendsarea.co.ccWhat people will see:myfriendsareas.co.ccAnd then through .htaccess you can just have all your links look like they are actually on that domain. So then your friend can get a free fake domain and be hosted on your site.This could also be a service anyone could offer.. and charge a few bucks a month for it.I tried dot.tk but it didn't seem to work for me.

Edited by Xarex (see edit history)

before co.tv becom premium, i like it so much. . .But now, dot.tk become the best for the simple way to register (imho)

Wow, do .tk domains still exist ? Last time I remember seeing a .tk domains was like 8 years ago. These domains were a real plague 10 years ago, they were mostly full of viruses, adware, spyware ... and any sort of malware you can possibly imagine. And don't be fooled, there is no such thing as free domain names. Go check out the source code of your webpage once it's on a .tk domain. I'm pretty sure there's some nifty javascript added to it ;) . If not, there's probably another catch.