xisto Community
poy

Dot.tk

I'm not sure if this is old or maybe new to many of you but yea http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en does give .tk urls out for free and you don't have to have any banners on it if you wish not too. Give it a shot, you have nothing to loose but time :D Keep in mind that if you don't get enough hits they will kill your url. Hope this helps people who were looking for a free url redirection.

well, yes I have one (finaldesign.tk) but anyway, they are pretty ok, because there is no advertisment as you say... But there is another free url provider, it's http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - and if you just want to shorten some long url, there is http://www.urlsnip.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

freedomain.co.nr is quite good, I use it, bu it is not ad-free. They don't put forced ads on your web site, but you are required (according to the Terms Of Use) to put a small banner that would link to their web site. So, anyone who doesn't have this, better put it :D

Another one is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but they are not as good as they used to be. They change the favicon of your web site, and also put pop-up ads, which is above all acounts.

I used to use another URL redirection site called Has.it which is great but the site itself lags with so many users so 56kers may find it hard to even sign up. So far, dot.tk is still the best but it has advertisements too. As in pop-up windows that advertise dot.tk themselves. It's pretty easy to keep your hits up for dot.tk anyway since there really is no requirement, you just need some activity within your site. You get a free email redirection too which is pretty neat!

No offense to any of you dot.tk users ... but I really hate dot.tk. I'm not saying that they're a bad URL redirection service but they leave extra pop-ups after leaving the website. However, I don't suppose they're that bad considering that they don't actually place ads on your site.If take my advice, you should use Co.nr. They are definetly the best. They don't place ads or pop-ups on your site which leave it as perfect as ever. And what is more similar to Co.uk than Co.nr! However, you do have to place a 88*31 button on your website but you can just place it on the bottom where hardly anyone glances at! :D

I used to use Dot.tk but then I found CJB.net. Basically the same service, except better. If you go with their free URL redirection, you're stuck with ads unless you pay. But I use CJB.net for free domains since with all of my sites, I don't want to keep paying $8 bucks a year. Plus, they can't put ads on when you have it setup with a host (I use a CJB.net domain on Xisto). But the down side is that they only have room for 1 DNS server. There are also no hit requirements. You just have to login once every 90 days to keep your account active. Other than that, if you want an actual free domain, it isn't bad! Who needs .com anyways?! :) lol, but it is good just for the domain.[N]F

I use shortURL, and is verry good. Thgey have MANY features. There are:
.Many Sub-domain options:
-yourname.shorturl.com
-yourname.2ya.com
-yourname.vze.com
-yourname.1sta.com
-yourname.24ex.com
-yourname.morroz.com
AND MORE! There are 25 options!

.Suport for WWW:
If the user puts www. before the adress of your shortURL, it goes to your page normaly! No 404 Errors!

.Path Forwarding:
If you have the ShortURL yourname.vze.com and the real URL of your site is

hosting.com/members/yourname and want to acess the diredory /joe in your real URL, you can create a link to yourname.vze.com/joe.

.Prefix Path Forwarding:
The same of the above feature, but is like this:
To acess /joe, point the brouwser to joe.yourname.vze.com.

.Prefix Forwarding:
If you point the browser to yourname.vze.com or to joe.yourname.vze.com, you will go to the same point: the main page of your site.

WARING: Chose this feature or teh Prefix Path Forwarding.

.URL Masking:
Normally, after your ShortURL.com forwards to your real URL, your real URL is then shown in the browser's address bar. Turning on URL masking, allows you to keep your ShortURL in the address bar by using a hidden frame trick. This frame is invisible to the user. Then, if visitors bookmark your site, they bookmark your ShortURL, and search engines will link to your ShortURL as well. 95% of our users choose to use this feature.

.Frame Kill:
Frame Kill forces your site to pop out of any frames it may be loading in. For example if another website links to you and opens your site inside their frame.

How does this work? If you have URL masking turned on, we insert JavaScript code into the hidden frame. If URL masking is off, we create an invisible and temporary page loading the JavaScript to first pop out your site then use HTML to forward the user. This process is invisible to the user, other than seeing your site pop out of a frame.

Usefull to LYCOS users.

.Traffic Reports:
With a ShortURL address you will have access to traffic stats with daily and monthly reports displaying unique and raw visits and referring URLs. We also calculate your unique/raw ratio and daily averages.

The Referring URL Report allows you to see where your visitors are coming from! An hourly report displays all the URLs that have sent traffic to your ShortURL address, as well as a list of keywords used to find your site in search engines.

.Mirror Management:
If you have mirrors of your site you can use your ShortURL to balance traffic between them, or provide redundancy.

This can be done two ways: 1) You can have ShortURL randomly forward to a mirror, weighing any URLs you wish to get more or less traffic. 2) Or, have ShortURL generate a page, providing visitors with a list your mirrors to choose from along with a description for each one.

.Private Networks / Specific Ports:
If you have a home/office network, and you can get your website to load:
ip-address-here/ then you can point a ShortURL there. If you need to get around a pesky port 80 block, then you can setup your server to work on another port (ie. 81) and include the number in the target URL by using:
ip-address-here/

ATTENTION: shortURL puts one little, verry little frame on bottom of your page, nut if you upgrade to Premium, it disapears.
Get the Premium by 2 manners:
Paying
or completing one of the partner campains. It consist in completing a survey, or sign up to one site, etc...

shortani.gif
shortURL
Free Short URL since 1999.

shorturl.com/

i've tried shortURL.com, cjb.net, dot.tk, and i must say that all of them aren't good. But for a free domain i'd prefer cjb.net but that's it. i think that people should not be that cheap unless you have a newbie website and want to get a subdomain, then it's ok. but if you have a professional website looking, you should get a .com domain. godaddy.com is cheap only 3 dollars a year. or 10 i think but it's still cheap compared to others. .tk is short but who remembers it (from a web surfer point of view)

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with those of you who have tried and subsequently moved away form cjb.net and dot.tk. Their phenomenal popularity allows them to get away with forcing pop-ups and other ad banners to gether revenue. Agreed, they *do* inform the user of these pre-conditions, so the user is fully aware of what s/he is signing up for.

As an alternative I'd like to present these two options:

Uni.cc

ne1.net

both have similar ad-free URL redirection and of course they're quite short.

freedomain.co.nr is quite good, I use it, bu it is not ad-free. They don't put forced ads on your web site, but you are required (according to the Terms Of Use) to put a small banner that would link to their web site. So, anyone who doesn't have this, better put it B)
Another one is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but they are not as good as they used to be. They change the favicon of your web site, and also put pop-up ads, which is above all acounts.

If I remember correctly, there is a way in javascript to kill pop-up adds on your site. Not that I remember how to do it.

.co.nr, for me are great. I haven't got round to applying with them, but only having a small button on your site to advertise them is great.

dot.tk does have an intro advertisement. You need to click on the skip before you get into the site.

If I remember correctly, there is a way in javascript to kill pop-up adds on your site. Not that I remember how to do it.

Yea there is a way to get rid of them but the web hosts find them and find a way to prevent it. I tried a code on 100webspace to get rid of the top banner but it didn't work. I tried all the other ones including a Javascript code thing and still didn't work. I think that once they find a hole they'll fill it up.

I used to use dot.tk, untill they started they started showing you information about their affiliates before they actually show your website. It's better to pay for these kind of services, and it isn't that expensive.