xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vicious_AD

Is It Just Me, Or Does Onling Gaming Hate Macs? no free mac mmorpgs?

It seems that no matter how much I google it,, I cannot find a good free mmorpg for mac. Is it really that hard to port things to macs (really, is it? I know little of porting)? There's always runescape, but it's full of idiots that will call you a noob just for being a slightly lower level then them, and who wants that? There /was/ planeshift, but when they upgraded, it's like they forgot about the mac version or something. The forums on their site /says/ there's a mac version that runs now, but I can't get a hold of it, and the one in their downloads section is still the old one that doesn't work on their new servers. There is dofus, but really the only thing you can do on it is fight.so my questions are these:Does anyone know any good, free, mmorpgs for macs?Does anyone know what's up with planeshift?Thanks in advance.

Well the answer is simple ...Online Gaming Companies dont bother to make much titles for MAC. MACs are a minority and it would take alot of effort to posrt games to Mac and make money off of it. Companies prefer to add extra things in their games for PC rtaher than do porting. That said there are some big name titles avialble for online gaming but they are very limited. And that too because the companies making those games can afford to reach minority of Mac ..for the sake of it..not cause they make profit..atleast thats my assesment.If you are a gamer the sad truth is that you have to be PC-Compatible and you have to be in in Window$

Worse yet, try it running OS 9.1... there are lots of stuff which is unsupported. Even stuff written for Macs is only available for the OS 10.

Yeah it's a valid point. Macs dont seem to be made compatible with any games anymore. just because the vast majority of users dont use macs it doesnt mean that game developers have to just chuck mac users out of the picture altogether!Not that it really effects me because im not a mac user anyway but I can understand your frustration.

They need to start releasing all the mainstream games for mac's before people will start making free quality games for macs... people like having there products seen by the masses and if the mainstream companies are ignoring the mac users there are obviously not enough to warrant creating games for, so most people will stick to pc too.

I'm not exactly sure if you're looking for a browser game or a standalone program. There is obviously World of Warcraft(the biggest MMORPG in the world) I play Runescape a little, but I'm not low level so I don't have the same problem that you have. =p

Another good online game is Vendetta. Visit: https://www.vendetta-online.com/

Good Luck and happy hunting.

Mac doesn't have many games and the ones that they have aren't too popular. Why? Because gaming is not a big thing (reason) why people buy Macs. People buy them for their performance not to play games. Personally (having both a Mac and a PC online) I prefer the Mac when I am trying to get stuff done (movies, photo editing ect) but when it comes to utilities (in your case games) the PC is the only way to go. It should be easy to connect to the Internet if you already have a provider just get a router. You could download java which will open a slightly larger selection of MMORPG games for Macs (I cant think of any off the top of my head but I know you can program it to connect to a database I am sure their are games out there...)That’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear (most Mac users get mad when they hear that they need to use windows), but I don't think there is a way around it unless you get the Mac that also runs windows.Sparkx

Oh, how I Laughed.

Is It Just Me, Or Does Onling Gaming Hate Macs?

First of all, Sparkx, or whatever, a utility and a game are two different things. Second of all, pretty much any game by Blizzard will run on a Mac. As for the comment "Macs don't have too many games and the ones they are arent too popular": I have, on my mac, D2, WoW, Warcraft 3, C&C Generals, all the Call of Duty games, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, Quake 4, Doom 3...Are these games unpopular then?

It's very very easy to make games run on both PC and mac. A lot of companies, however, have a kind of golden handcuffs deal with Microsoft that means they can only make them compatible with Intel PCs.

It's a crock of crap, but that's the way it goes. Macs are growing in popularity - Just go into any Apple store and look around for a small form of confirmation on this.

And for all the retards who think Windows based PCs are better than macs, let me tell you this: I never get lag. I don't NEED anti-virus or anti-spyware programs because I never GET any: There ARENT any for the mac (that I know of) Leopard (OS X) is amazingly easy to use. There are no load times. I don't need to uninstall a program before it goes away: I just delete it. I turn on the machine and in less than 5 seconds I'm in the OS. Plus, there is no such thing as a blue screen of death.

Sorry, tell me again why windows is better? Heh. But this isn't a rant, it's just a random little note from me...

-reply by Lord VileCore

GET BOOT CAMP WITH WINDOWS XP CD.

Is It Just Me, Or Does Onling Gaming Hate Macs?

Boot camp is a download for macs that can you give another program other than the mac side, you can download the windows xp and play as much online games as you want.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

But you have to buy the windows xp cd from a apple store.

Hope it helps!

-reply by Julianna

My kids are into this new online game called Rune Scape and since they kept using my computer to the point of me having to kick em off mine which is a MacBook, I just went on eBay and bought the kids their own used laptops which are iBook G3's and now I am having the issue of getting the upgraded browser installed due to fact that these are running Mac OS X 10.3.9 and the requirements for the browser is 10.4 or higher. So now I need some quick suggestions, have any? Can I do something to make the computers work for these games?Mary in Camde, Michigan USA-question by Mary Welden