xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ccb_v2

A New DS Around The Corner?

Long-awaited slimline Nintendo DS could hit shelves within weeks.

A number of independent sources have suggested that a redesigned version of Nintendo's DS console will be unveiled next week, with new more compact hardware expected to replace dwindling stocks of the current system.

Rumours of a redesigned DS have been circulating for several months, but received a boost last month when Japanese magazine Famitsu reported that a Nintendo hardware redesign was in the pipeline - which instantly suggests the DS, since the GameCube is to be replaced by the backwards-compatible Revolution later this year, and the GBA was redesigned as the Game Boy Micro only a few months ago.

Nintendo's US marketing manager Reggie Fils-Aime also confirmed late last year that a redesign of the DS was on the cards, and now leading Hong Kong based videogames import retailer Lik-Sang has reported that the new hardware will be unveiled on Monday in Japan.

Lik-Sang's report ties in with comments made by a Japanese retail source who spoke to GamesIndustry.biz this week, saying that stock levels of the Nintendo DS continue to be low in the wake of the console selling out over the New Year period, but that Nintendo representatives have advised them that a major announcement will be made shortly.

UK retailers we spoke to this afternoon, however, claimed to have heard no information from Nintendo regarding any imminent redesign or change to the Nintendo DS strategy in this territory, but were aware of persistent rumours of redesigned hardware, with one saying that he had heard from a major publisher that a new DS would be on shelves worldwide "by E3 at the latest" - referring to the major industry trade show which takes place in mid-May.

The move would make strategic sense for Nintendo, which has sold over 13 million units of the Nintendo DS worldwide in the past year, and is believed to have fairly low levels of stock of the existing hardware in the retail channel in most of its major markets at present.

It also ties in with the company's past behaviour - the GBA SP, a major redesign to the Game Boy Advance hardware, was also pushed into the marketplace early in the new year to capitalise on the low stocks of existing hardware after the holiday season.

Nintendo itself has yet to comment on the rumours, and is unlikely to do so until an official announcement is made in Japan next week.

Notice from twitch:
Even though you put the source, you still need to put all copied content into quote tags.

I'm not really a DS fan to begin with but considering it's size and the fact that it's only been out for a little over a year now, do you REALLY think that we already need one that just a little bit better? I could understand if it was like the way the original playstation 2 was in size before they re-evaluated how to make it about 3 times smaller just by taking out the power source the fan and a couple other things but just how much can you do to a handheld that wasn't that big to begin with?

Same with Marche00. I'm not a big DS fan either. Even though I think that Nintendo did the right thing when designing a new console with dual screens, the Nintendo Revolution console is just around the corner from now. But if more people have bought the DS then why would people buy the Nintendo Revolution? This is because it might be a waste of money or because children's parents may not let them buy another console.But about this new DS design. I can't believe that within months of releaseing the first DS, Nintendo wants to release another version so soon. At what more can they improve with the DS? It already has nearly all the features of every portable console put together and much more! I think Nintendo is only doing this to compete with Sony's PSP. Ever since it came out, more people have been buying that than the DS and I think that Nintendo is a bit jealous.

Actually the worldwide sales for PSP vs DS are within a million units... at least they were a month or two ago. They both had about 14 mil units sold.While I agree its not needed, its a smart strategy that nintendo has always done. I mean gba, gba sp, gba micro? Come on, you can't say them selling the super micro version of the gba that alot of people already have 2 versions of is a required upgrade ;)Nintendo makes a KILLING by doing this, and until people stop buying them why would they stop releasing them haha. Personally to me it means the original drops in price, and if I decide to buy one I can either get one cheaper, or a nicer designed one. It doesn't affect those who have one, and those getting one for the first time now get a nicer design. Seems fine to me B) PLus they need to keep bumping hardware sales for their handhelds until the next actual gameboy comes out.

I don't really like this new slim and portable DS. I mean, wouldn't that mean durablility would me minimzed now?! I thought the DS was slim enough, but now this huh... I don't know... Well, whatever makes the crowd think "oh, something new, I want!" If they decide to buy it, then whatever. Though I think it's replacing the old units right? Hm.. I guess it's best to have this big one that I have, the original one, than these smaller slim ones. And yes, they do make a killing doing this. GameBoy, SP, GBA, DS, and some other ones that I'm too lazy to mark down that I'm sure I'm missing. Micro I believe? Whatever. Have fun Nintendo, it's working haha.

You can't really say smaller = less durable. I've seen stress tests done on the iPod nano (tiny little thing) where they basically ran over it with a car and it still ran. Obviously the screen was busted, but that'll happen to a device regardless of the case size. As long as a company uses the right materials they can reduce a devices size dramatically without it having a detrimental effect on the durability.Also, a smaller size doesn't necessarily mean a thinner case. The parts inside could be smaller, or laid out more efficiently, giving the illusion of a thinner case when in fact there is just less internal room needed for parts. I'd guess in this case, thats not what is happening, but it's a possibility.