xisto Community
ccb_v2

Stopping Time

most people would agree that if you could accelerate closer to the speed of light, you go through time faster. again, a lot of people say the universe is expanding therefor everything is moving, very fast. well if you were to get on a rocket ship, it would already be moving because of the expansion, if you were to go against the expansion the same speed of it, you would reach a true 0 velocity. so you wouldn’t be moving, and everything else would. Basically everything around you would just stop, because you would be going to slow. well everything except light would seem to just stop.

You make a good point, but how will or when will we try or test your theory on it? and also when we stop time, how will we get it to move again? I mean i'm just wondering how this would really work if we did it or test it and what would happen. How cool would that be to stop time! Will you be able to move or change the movement of a person or thing when time is stopped?, like the in the movie ClockStoppers. Also remember even if this is possible, then either the goverment will go secret on it or try to keep it from going out to the public, mm.. i wonder if they've already did it.

And if you managed to stop time, would you continue aging? Or would you age faster or slower? That's one that my astronomy professor posed to us in class once, for whatever reason. He didn't really answer the question (good thing, too - my head already hurt by that point, hehe), but it's definitely an interesting one to think about. What if, for whatever reason, you aged faster? If you actually got time to start again, and came back to Earth, you would be super old and your friends wouldn't even recognize you.Or, better, if you managed to either stop or reverse the aging process ... wait...maybe *that's* the reason that the guy in charge of Virgin is investing all this money in space travel.

You would actually stop frozen in time - from the Earth's point of view anyways.

Let me clearify things up a bit.

As any object approaches the speed of light, the 'time' they experience tick slower than 'time' for a stationary object. This is known as time dilation.

However, if you were to look at the object from a stationary point of view, 'time' would appear to be frozen, but for the object itself, you would be experiencing 'time' that is faster - like watching a video on fastfoward.

Let me give a better example - you have a spacecraft with a human onboard, and this spacecraft can travel at velocity of light. This spacecraft will take off from earth and travel 20 light-years.

During this time as you are observing the spacecraft through a telescope, it'll appear time in the spacecraft have stopped - or slowed like nothing is happening at all on the spacecraft. On the spacecraft, as the human is looking at the earth via a telescope, it'll seem like he's watching time lapse video of earth - as weeks passing by in seconds. This does not mean the human onboard the vessel will stop aging. It simply means, as the human travels back to earth, decades or centuries will have past by on earth but to the human, it only took him years.
So compared to earth, the human will have stopped aging (relatively, since he still aged compared from the moment he left earth)

An example of time dilation can be found here. Time dilation webpage

And a layman's guild to time travel could be found here. Time travel

Oh by the way, time travel has already been accomplished technically. Although it wasn't much, I believe the person who holds the record for travelling forward through time is the astronaut who spent the most time on the space station MIR. I couldn't find any information on this astronaut or whatever his name is, but I think after spending close to a year or more onboard the station, he gained like a fraction of a second foward in time.

Heheh.... I can't stop imagining the possibilities of being able to move faster than time :D. You can be in more places at the same time, you can see bullets coming :D;) (the .... cough...matrix). Woa...

most people would agree that if you could accelerate closer to the speed of light, you go through time faster. again, a lot of people say the universe is expanding therefor everything is moving, very fast. well if you were to get on a rocket ship, it would already be moving because of the expansion, if you were to go against the expansion the same speed of it, you would reach a true 0 velocity. so you wouldn’t be moving, and everything else would. Basically everything around you would just stop, because you would be going to slow. well everything except light would seem to just stop.

1064335613[/snapback]

well, hm, yea. but when first cars are made, people drived very slowly about cca. 30-40 km/h and they believed that if they go faster like, 100 km/h, a human body will be destroyed to pieces... so what makes you to believe this? all of that are just teories, without any scientific facts... If I had diploma of astronomic phisyics would you believe me, if I say that there is life on mars? :D

:P Someone hear about John Titor, the guy that says he travel in time with an general electric time machine?? :), in some internet site are the time machine's specifications, and the original post from him...

most people would agree that if you could accelerate closer to the speed of light, you go through time faster. again, a lot of people say the universe is expanding therefor everything is moving, very fast. well if you were to get on a rocket ship, it would already be moving because of the expansion, if you were to go against the expansion the same speed of it, you would reach a true 0 velocity. so you wouldnât be moving, and everything else would. Basically everything around you would just stop, because you would be going to slow. well everything except light would seem to just stop.

1064335613[/snapback]

This is of course complete nonsense. The physics that says that relative time passes faster at higher velocities is inextricably connected with the fact that velocity is relative, which means there is no zero velocity. Furthermore the expansion of space is not the same as relative velocity and in fact the apparent relative velocity due to the explansion of space can exeed the speed of light. This results in a horizon which we cannot see beyond and that horizon is shrinking because the expansion is accelerating.

This is at least the current understanding of the situation as I have read about it. It seems to imply some contradictions to me so I will do a little research to see if I can clear this up and post again later.