xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webdesignunlimited

Socket 478 Or LGA 775? I need help

Hi,The situation is that i've got a Dell Dimension 3000 PC, and want to upgrade it. This basically means buying a new case and motherboard and then transfering RAM, etc... to the new motherboard. The only thing is that my computer has a 2.53Ghz Celeron processor, and i want to fit that into the motherboard until i can get a P4. But the thing is, that the motherboard takes the LGA 775 socket, and so i want to know if i could fit the 2.53 Ghz CPU into a LGA 775 socket, or if it fits into the 478 socket.

The LGA 775 is the newer socket and as such will offer the most options for upgrading. The 478 is by no means outdated yet since there are many new processors still being made for that configuration. I would probably go with the 775 since all of your favorite P4's are availible in that package.

I've been running a P4 1.7GHz in the 478 socket package for about 4 years now. I am also looking to upgrade and have many options for P4 processors for my motherboard but I think I'll go ahead and move to the newer socket. The hardest part about upgrading for me is that my motherboard has a 400MHz Front Side Bus so I either can't use many of the P4's on the market or I won't get the full potential of the processors I upgrade to. Definately no HT. :D

Also, I'm still running PC133 memoery so I'm pretty far behind on that aspect. Good thing I have 512MB of memory to make up for the lack of speed.

I also suggest learning more about your options by visiting the Intel website

Happy Upgrading. :D

vujsa

I don't know why you want to upgrade but according to zdnet your pc should have 256 ram right? If you really want a good performance out of your pentium 4 you're gonna buy, you should get more memory, at least 512 I think. Also, when you're buying a new motherboard you also have to get a new videocard, unless you want to use the onboard VGA.PS. Why would you want to get a new case for anyway? With all the hassle that comes with building stuff in you might as well get an entire new setup.

the LGA775 is the most futureproof socket intel has (not taking their freaking chipchangingpolicy in account :D ).Best thing is to get a motherboard that has a PCIe slot, so you could upgrade later to a newer (better) card.hint, hint, amd, hint, hint :D (I just couldn't resist ;) )