xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bash18

Have You Heard Of The Blue-ray

have you heard of blue ray...

articlefrom bluray.com

Blu-ray Disc

Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format jointly developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of the world's leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers (including Apple, Dell, Hitachi, HP, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson). The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25GB, which can be used to record over 2 hours of HDTV or more than 13 hours of standard-definition TV. There are also dual-layer versions of the discs that can hold 50GB.

While current optical disc technologies such as DVD, DVDÂąR, DVDÂąRW, and DVD-RAM use a red laser to read and write data, the new format uses a blue-violet laser instead, hence the name Blu-ray. Despite the different type of lasers used, Blu-ray products can easily be made backwards compatible through the use of a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical pickup and allow playback of CDs and DVDs. The benefit of using a blue-violet laser (405nm) is that it has a shorter wavelength than a red laser (650nm), which makes it possible to focus the laser spot with even greater precision. This allows data to be packed more tightly and stored in less space, so it's possible to fit more data on the disc even though it's the same size as a CD/DVD. This together with the change of numerical aperture to 0.85 is what enables Blu-ray Discs to hold 25GB/50GB.

With the rapid growth of HDTV, the consumer demand for recording HD programming is quickly rising. Blu-ray was designed with this application in mind and supports direct recording of the MPEG-2 TS (Transport Stream) used by digital broadcasts, which makes it highly compatible with global standards for digital TV. This means that HDTV broadcasts can be recorded directly to the disc without any quality loss or extra processing. To handle the increased amount of data required for HD, Blu-ray employs a 36Mbps data transfer rate, which is more than enough to record and playback HDTV while maintaining the original picture quality. In addition, by fully utilizing an optical disc's random accessing features, it's possible to playback video on a disc while simultaneously recording HD video.

Blu-ray is expected to replace VCRs and DVD recorders with the transition to HDTV over the coming years. The format is also likely to become a standard for PC data storage and HD movies in the future.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

bash18

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
Once again this article was entirely copied (verbatim) from the site mentioned above. But since you made an attempt to cite the original author's name and source site and the fact that you're new here - you're getting off with a verbal warning only. Be aware that if you'd copied the material and NOT mentioned the source, it'd have been considered plagiarised and you'd get a strong warning in such a case. Too many warnings lead to a ban.

Now since this article wasn't written by you, you cannot be granted any points for it.

Reducing Hosting credits worth 9 days

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Quotes please .. Kinda Surprising that blue ray is taking so much time to come out .. it must be hell costly i bet .. plus FYI blue ray disks would come in 25GB and 50GB .. thats like 100,000+ songs aint it ?RegardsDhanesh.

I assume it's taking a long time to come out for many reasons, basic ones like ensuring the tech works rather then release it buggy and get flak (they have no competition out yet so no need to rush it) and they are also probbaly trying to extend profits on DVD generation stuff as long as they can, why cut their DVD profits when they wont sell any less blu-ray's by waiting.Until HD-DVD's are out, blu-ray will be the standard, and I don't think HD-DVD has a chance of hurting blu-ray much. Blu-ray has much stronger backing then HD-DVD and with the release of the PS3 people will be able to get a next gen gaming system AND a next gen movie player all in one since it'll be able to play blu-rays, thus making a fairly substantial chunk of people be ready to buy blu-ray shortly after it is released.

Considering that HD-DVD is an inferior format to Blu-Ray, I don't see HD-DVD really catching the following that Blu-Ray will. I heard a rumour that Blu-Ray wasn't going to catch on for the sake of no backwards compatibility with DVD media, but I doubt that's the case, as say, the PS3 is still going to be backward compatible to play PS2 discs...And those discs just happen to be DVD media...enough said.

This actually is a good valid point infact .. PS3 having a backward compatibility or not .. what if the guys at PS decide not to make it play PS2 games on a PS3 due to graphics or hardware limitations ? Ofcourse hacks are available and will be available then too, but as a Console giant as PS i'd rather put a function that accepts DVD (PS2 games) and also support for Blue-Ray disks .. Who knows, maybe in 2 years we might be playing flight simulator as a 3d virtual game in our rooms, and to hold that content .. HUGE amount of space is required .. there comes in blue-ray and HD-DVD .. RegardsDhanesh.

have you heard of blue ray...

bash18

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
Once again this article was entirely copied (verbatim) from the site mentioned above. But since you made an attempt to cite the original author's name and source site and the fact that you're new here - you're getting off with a verbal warning only. Be aware that if you'd copied the material and NOT mentioned the source, it'd have been considered plagiarised and you'd get a strong warning in such a case. Too many warnings lead to a ban.

Now since this article wasn't written by you, you cannot be granted any points for it.

Reducing Hosting credits worth 9 days

1064335120[/snapback]

Thanks for leting me know + letting me off...

Im'not quite understaning it....

(reducing histing credits worth 9 days) + (if i mentioned the source and author will i be banned, or dont i get points...)...

thanks

bash

Considering that HD-DVD is an inferior format to Blu-Ray, I don't see HD-DVD really catching the following that Blu-Ray will. I heard a rumour that Blu-Ray wasn't going to catch on for the sake of no backwards compatibility with DVD media, but I doubt that's the case, as say, the PS3 is still going to be backward compatible to play PS2 discs...And those discs just happen to be DVD media...enough said.

1064335156[/snapback]

What does the XBOX 360 Use -

I know It Has Wireless Remotes using Bluetooht 2,

but whats disks do it take...

thanks

bash18

The major techincally issue is backwards compatiablity. There are a lot of people with a lot of DVD's that are not going to want to abandoned their movie collection. That alone is what makes HD-DVD a real contender for the next generation of DVD's. Working in the video production business, we are drooling over the thought of 25 or 50GB discs. That would be great to have! But just because it is the choice of the PS3 does not mean it will defeat HD-DVD as the format of choice. Take the number of houses with both a PS2 AND a dedicated DVD player. How many PS2 owners do you know actually use their console for playing DVD's? How many more straight out DVD players have been sold compared to PS2's? I think the big issue they are working on is somekind of transitional technology that would be able to select laser type and play Blu-Ray and older DVD's. If sony can do that and then LICENSE the technology, they will be ahead of the game. Just remember, most people considered BETA MAX to be a far superior technology to VHS, yet which one won out in the end?

Thanks for leting me know + letting me off...

Im'not quite understaning it....

(reducing histing credits worth 9 days) + (if i mentioned the source and author will i be banned, or dont i get points...)...

thanks

bash

1064335176[/snapback]

Okay here's the thing:

When you post stuff that you copy from other sites, you NEED to put that material between QUOTE tags - as I did for you above. Also along with that, you need to put the Source Website from where you copied that article from - the link needs to be direct, i.e. one should be able to access the article with a single click.

If the source isn't mentioned, it is assumed that you're trying to copy someone else's work and trying to pass it off as your own - which in other words is Plagiarism. If you're found plagiarising, you receive a very strong warning here.

Since in every case - you DID MENTION the source of the article, you weren't accused of direct plagiarism. But even in that case, you forgot to enclose the articles between QUOTE tags - which brings us to the second point.

The copied material has to be mandatorily enclosed between QUOTE tags. It is very important to do this, as our Credits System evaluates your article based on inclusion of such tags and grants you the appropriate amount of credits to you. In case you omit the QUOTE tags, the system is fooled into believing that the entire article is your original work and grants you a lot more points - which is unfair. In such cases, the whole credits you'd earned for the post are deducted from your account. This is exactly what I meant by "Reducing hosting credits by xxx".

These are two very important points you always got to keep on mind while posting here. Abuse of these rules invariably leads to Warnings and too much abuse earns a ban.

As I said earlier - the favourable point in your case was you mentioned the source in every case. So you were excused from the strong warnings. But you lost out on those points since you failed to include the copied parts in QUOTE tags.

Hope this clears up things for you. Any further queries, post back and I'll get back to you.

Regards,

m^e

Yea I didn't mean the PS3 supporting the blu-ray would guarantee its win, what I meant to say was it would help alot. With the ps2, dvd was already well on it's way into the market and alot of people already had dvd players, however the PS3 will likely come out when blu-ray is still in its infancy and thus it will help alot of people get a blu-ray player earlier then they might have otherwise.And to answer the question about what the xbox360 uses, currently it uses standard dvd's if I'm not mistaken, but they will be releasing an upgrade so it can use HD-DVD's, at least that was the plan last I heard about it. If that has changed someone'll probably correct me shortly.

The Blu-Ray can hold up to like 50 or whatever gigs and I agree it certainly will be better than anything else at the moment. The only problem is how much will each product cost? blank media, games, and movies, how much will those be >_< I can only speculate it'll be quiet the money because of the storage.

Actually, while the first gen of them will be more then current, I cant see it being any worse then when dvd's first came out. There are trends, cd's originally were a buck or two a disk for 650mb and then like 3-4 bucks for 700mb and RW ones,then they were like 10cents a disk when dvds came out at a couple bucks a pop for the basics and a few bucks more for dual layer ones. Now Blu-ray's will probably be a couple bucks a disk now that dvd's are down to a quarter a disk. Could be wrong but the market controllers realize people will start using a new tech much faster (thus allowing them to maximize profits faster) if they make it easier to get started with the new tech money wise.

First off the XBOX 360 just has a DVD rom in it, they are proposing the upgrade to an hd-rom, but was not shipped with it, and HD vs Blu-Ray, well, even if HD is inferior to it, which it may or may not be, depends on who you ask, there is going to be a HUGE following with PS3 something that probably will be the downfall of HD DVD, however, companies like BestBuy and such are going to support both, i guess it will come down to who releases more quality media for it first... personally for my own recordings, I am waiting for the holographic drives to come out this year, 300+gigs and then up to one terabyte within three years, like OMG rofflecopters to that one!

Alright here is what I know about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray (BR) has the ability to be backwards compatible, should the device manufacturers wish it to be so. So that being said the BR drive of the PS3 will not be the reason that the PS3 wouldn't be backwards compatible.

Now on the comparison of BR to HD-DVD. HD-DVD9 uses the standard red laser of the current DVD format but uses a higher compression Codec. This still only allows 4 gigs of data to be burned on a single layer DVD and 9 gigs on a dual layer.

There is a second Blue Laser DVD format that was proposed by NEC and Toshiba that would allow current manufacturing lines to be used and thus allow cheaper manufacturing of a new format but it doesn't seem that it will make it.

For more information read the page at this LINK.

With the 4/9 gig limitation and the problems associated with high compression codecs I personally see the HD-DVD standard lasting to long due to the fact that it wouldn't allow HDTV and High Resolution movies to work to well on DVD's.

As for the cost of the units and media, as stated before in another post or 2, as more of the tech hits the market and more movies come out in the BR format you can expect the cost to come down.

For more specific information on the Blu-Ray standard here is a LINK to a FAQ put up by the Blu-Ray group.