xisto Community
iGuest

How Can I Start On Game Programing help plz

i just walt to make gamesi know some basic programming and i do the grafics myself but i still cant find a reliable machine to make my games...i mean like i have tried different progs like DarkBasic,Macromedia flash,c++but with none of them i dont th power i want...i only once found a good prog BlitzBasic3d but i cant fnd a cracked version and the demo version has a code limiter...so if there are any1 who can help me or suggest something plz pm me...

First of all I would like to discourage you to use any cracked or pirated softwares. Either you buy it or better ..use open source alternatives.I know its very appealing to give things a try b4 u buy them..thats why all good procuts have evaluatin periods.As for serious game programming ..just make up your mind what you really wnat to do. There are so many things , like enginer devlopment , modeling , AI.As for engines you may want to be really good in C programmin(not C++ there are subtle differences ..even though C++ is superset of C , its mostly way of thinking ..way of programming). Infact with a good grip on C you can do almost any thing with Computers. But C will help you in Graphics (OpenGL, DirectX) and General Game Engines.As for the power you want (which i guess is power of rapid devlopment..ie to make your ideas realize easily and without much effort) you would probably be better off learning to use pre-made Libraries and Engines. Big Companies like Epic Software sell their engines for very high price (retail value of UT2004 gaming engine was 350k $ last time i checked) But you can find low end and free/open source engines to play with. Since most engines depend on C/C++ you will need a grip of the language. Finally , Game Programming has emerged as a subject in some colleges/universities (i heard on such program in Canada). You may want to check out their course content to get a feel how things go in the subject

You need a good C skill at first. Then you need to learn at least 1 graphic engine. Have a look at DirectX (for windows, fast) and OpenGL (muti-platform, open source). They're the most popular ones. Read the SDK document carefully before beginning. Otherwise, you'll meet lots of troubles during progress.

C programming is the best solution, because compiled programs go incredibly far faster than interpreted programs.And, of course, you need to practice a lot. By the way, most of the universities now ask their student to write down games, because it's a good way for learning ; and it's rather difficult if you did not learn the subject.

I`m new at this too. And i can deal a bit with DirectX, but that`s no easy fo me, i can say I think that DirectX is not very hard, anyway for me I am learning how to deal with it very fast. But what is better DirectX or OpenGL? May be i should try another one (openGL)? What are advantages and disadvanteges of OpenGL? I don`t know a lot about it, and may be they are absolutely different and OpenGL is much better than DirectX? Please, i`d like to know oppiniions of professionals. And what kind of difficulties you talked about, PureHeart?

i like Visual Basic 6 but thats just me. If you want a easy to use interface where you can code and drag and drop things to make it code for you i'd try game maker(gamemaker.nu). RPGMaker2003 is a pretty good program also. Easy to use interface no coding knowledge needed and its free.P.S. gamemaker costs $15 to register but for the un-registered version theres no time limit you just get less functions(registered allows you to play cds and call particles to the screen).

Firstly one of my mates has a cracked version of blitz 3d...secondly using one of those programs isn't programming... it's like playing a game... if you are just starting don't expect to write a game like diablo first off... cause no one really can... game companies have lots of people working on the projects all at once... the best way is to just make simple fun addictive games in VB or even better these days FLASH... would be a good start off point... if you must use games packages... AGS is very good can make sierra style games with only 1 week of learning. But really if you are dedicated you should do a course in programming.. and then be around other programmers and you'll get good eventually.

First of all, if C++ doesnt give you power then you can go to C, the first thing to start making game is to create a game design.Activities involving game design are : story, lore, storylines, characters, maps, game analysis.The second stage are : requirement analysis, cost estimation(you want to estimate how long will it take you to finish), environment (what is the implementation language, the infrastructure if you are creating a multiplayer game).The third stage is to find someone who has the same game interests as you, nothing is more enjoyable than working in a team.The fourth stage is to get some funding or sponsors.The fifth stage is start making your game.

First of all, if C++ doesnt give you power then you can go to C,

I'd say it's the other way around... C++ has all that C has and more (like classes for Object Oriented programming) and if you know how to move your way around you can avoid a WHOLE lot of pointers, which for some reason I fail to understand makes some programmers get all scared up.

the first thing to start making game is to create a game design.Activities involving game design are : story, lore, storylines, characters, maps, game analysis.

Indeed, it is pointless to start making a game if you are not absolutely sure what you want to do. If you don't think up thoroughly, you'll just end up giving up in the middle. No need to get through every little detail, though. Work out the basic game mechanics, find a suitable (i.e. plausible and feasible) setting for the game story (if any) and basically figure out what puts it all together.

The second stage are : requirement analysis, cost estimation(you want to estimate how long will it take you to finish), environment (what is the implementation language, the infrastructure if you are creating a multiplayer game).

If making a game for fun, I'd say all you actually need to know is how much time you're WILLING to invest in the creation process and the language you will use (ask yourself questions like: "Can I do it with this?", "Am I fluent in this language?" or "Should I lose a few more weeks to learn this language because it fits the job better?"). Requirement analysis can't be done effectively without crippling the game before you even started coding. Unless you know the limitations of platforms you are expecting it to work and the limitations of the language itself.

The third stage is to find someone who has the same game interests as you, nothing is more enjoyable than working in a team.

Definitely! :P

The fourth stage is to get some funding or sponsors.The fifth stage is start making your game.

You can ignore the 4th step if working for fun! :o

http://saltworld.net/forums/ is the best source for amateur game design. I personally suggest RPGmaker. It's the most versetile and fairly easy. You never have to write a line of code. You just have to know what goes with what (click interface) and they have lots of recources. Gamingw.net doesn't have a very friendly staff, but their recources are wonderful.

Read 1 or 2 C++ Books. Then familarize yourself with java and php. SHould be easy after you learn C++. Don't bother with Visual basic. Some don't even consider it a programming langauge. If yoiu're serious about creating a game, don't depend on VB otherwise VB is the way to go!

i havent fully read all the other posts, but for game programming i advise you to start in a simple language, and forget about making engines, there are engines already on the market for indi(independent) game makers, and those are the rule of the market, like torque, blitz, darkbasic, and some others,

go see darkbasic.com, its really great and you can have a fps made in no time with fps creator, or you can learn to programm in a basic style with very fast results, since theyre engine is BASIC language with inbued directx 9 commands, great community by the way, look for an user called "supremacy", haha, really, very good way to start is at those guys site, and offcourse, at gamedev.net, theres also some indigameforums.com or something like it,

cheers
darkbasic.com or thegamecreators.com

so ive read the posts and im sure you want make a game the ways theyre telling you to, you must start small, go from 2d to 3d and start with a procedural language, dont go diving right trough c++, youll get really confused,

and in realation to some vb comments ive seen like

Read 1 or 2 C++ Books. Then familarize yourself with java and php. SHould be easy after you learn C++. Don't bother with Visual basic. Some don't even consider it a programming langauge. If yoiu're serious about creating a game, don't depend on VB otherwise VB is the way to go!

i strongly disagree, vb is very powerfull, sometimes even faster then some c++ compilers ! and very easy to code to, and the ones that dont consider vb a programming language are not worth listen, also, there are powerfulls engines that easaly wrap around vb6, i remenber playing a lot in vb6 with one great engine, truevision3d.com , i thinks this was it, very powerfull and fast!

theres always preferences and divergencies in programming languages, and game making is a flammy matter, ive been there, you really want a good advice ? go learn c#, its the future.