xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SunBlind

My Tutorials Site... ... Coming Very Soon!

Being on Asta again has got me back into making tutorials - that's the only way I can get people to talk to me - a couple days ago someone asked me if I had a website with my tutorials on it, and I said "no," to which he replied, "You should make one, then."

So I did.

I just finished the layouts, so I don't have a live demo yet, but here are some crappy screenshots. You might have to zoom in if you use Firefox. I stuck with my "trademark" teal scheme (I just love that teal!), but I exchanged the usual lime green for orange and more white. The layout isn't terribly big because I am going to have the tutorials open in a new window. I am going to change one thing though: the advertising section at the bottom. It didn't seem all that big until I sliced and saved it, so I'll be taking about 200px off of that. This is the index page and the listings page, respectively:

Posted Image Posted Image

Features of the site

Site Content: Tutorials, downloads, and help section (forum) for Photoshop presets (styles, brushes, actions, etc.), PHP/HTML/CSS/JavaScript, free graphics and PSD's, link directory/exchange, and a graphics request section.

The Tutorial Pages

As I mentioned earlier, the tutorials will open in a new window (after clicking the "Read It" button shown in the second screenshot). In this new window there will be an example of the tutorial outcome (i.e., style on text), step by step instructions to recreate the example, a feedback section where visitors can leave comments/rate the tutorial, and a tutorial view counter. There will also be the obligatory "Print," "Bookmark," and "Send To Friend" links as well.

I think this project will turn out quite well, especially if I can get a few people to help me out with maintenance and the addition of resources. I want to get this site up as quickly as possible, so instead of taking a couple weeks to create scripts for the submitting, sorting, and publishing of tutorials, I think it would be faster to do it by hand. Let me know what you think about the concept and layout! If you would like to be a part of it, or submit a resource, PM me with the details. My sincere gratitude in advance...

-§ Rae

By the way, some of you may think that in the second screenshot you see the date "12.31.06..."

But it's not really there. It's just a figment of your imagination.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Being on Asta again has got me back into making tutorials - that's the only way I can get people to talk to me - a couple days ago someone asked me if I had a website with my tutorials on it, and I said "no," to which he replied, "You should make one, then."

So I did.

I just finished the layouts, so I don't have a live demo yet, but here are some crappy screenshots. You might have to zoom in if you use Firefox. I stuck with my "trademark" teal scheme (I just love that teal!), but I exchanged the usual lime green for orange and more white. The layout isn't terribly big because I am going to have the tutorials open in a new window. I am going to change one thing though: the advertising section at the bottom. It didn't seem all that big until I sliced and saved it, so I'll be taking about 200px off of that. This is the index page and the listings page, respectively:

Posted Image  Posted Image     

Features of the site

Site Content: Tutorials, downloads, and help section (forum) for Photoshop presets (styles, brushes, actions, etc.), PHP/HTML/CSS/JavaScript, free graphics and PSD's, link directory/exchange, and a graphics request section.

The Tutorial Pages

As I mentioned earlier, the tutorials will open in a new window (after clicking the "Read It" button shown in the second screenshot). In this new window there will be an example of the tutorial outcome (i.e., style on text), step by step instructions to recreate the example, a feedback section where visitors can leave comments/rate the tutorial, and a tutorial view counter. There will also be the obligatory "Print," "Bookmark," and "Send To Friend" links as well.

I think this project will turn out quite well, especially if I can get a few people to help me out with maintenance and the addition of resources. I want to get this site up as quickly as possible, so instead of taking a couple weeks to create scripts for the submitting, sorting, and publishing of tutorials, I think it would be faster to do it by hand. Let me know what you think about the concept and layout! If you would like to be a part of it, or submit a resource, PM me with the details. My sincere gratitude in advance...

-§ Rae

By the way, some of you may think that in the second screenshot you see the date "12.31.06..."

But it's not really there. It's just a figment of your imagination.

1064334670[/snapback]

Might I suggest that you make your font changeable when someone tries to change the Text Size from the View dropdown menu (in IE, that is). I tried to increase the font and nothing changed. Perhaps you have styles on your html page or the text is really an image?

Also, when I moused over the top-left tab at the very top of the page, my printer icon kept covering it so that I could not click on the first link. Perhaps other people have the same problem?

Finally, do you know when you might have content for your site?

Thanks! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

First of all, the "text" is in fact an image, so you can't increase font size, you'd have to Zoom In. Secondly, they are both screenshots, so you can't navigate the site because they're only pictures.I was having a little difficulty with configuring the display boxes for new content (the orange things that said "Read It") so I've doen away with it completely and am now setting up a CMS to handle the tutorials. Hopefully, everything will be operable by Monday.Thanks for your interest :D

Just a little update:PHP Nuke was pissing me off, so I installed phpBB2 and that was that. All that's left is to install a few more mods for the rating and bookmarking, then add some starter topics. It should be functional within the week, so make sure you stop by and say hi!