xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Houdini

How Could I Produce This Effect? Want my own design kind of like this

Here is the example because I can not even attempt to explaing it or how it was produced. I am not an artist but can follow instruction...so here is the image!

Posted Image

This is from a theme for phpBB2 called Cyan Glass (thereis also red, green , blue, orange and yellow), but with a different css file for each color theme.

I'm not a Photoshop expert, but I've done my share of modifications and I'm pretty sure I could recreate that, or something similar. It probably involves a lot of blend modes and gradient maps. Now when you say that it uses CSS files for the different schemes, do they also contain separate images as well, or is it all one set of images with 3 different CSS files? If there're 3 different sets of images, that sounds pretty normal. If there's only 1 set of images then the graphics could've been created with a color-to-transparent gradient, or vice versa, so you get the different colors from the different CSS files by changing the background color of the table.

Was that difficult to understand? I'm sorry, I ramble :/

Anywhos, if you give me a few minutes I'll make a style and a tutorial real quick that'll produce that effect (or something as similar as possible), at least for the forum style. Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to try to recreate the logo since I'm working on my tutorials site, but maybe tomorrow :D

Haha, I got it! It's not entirely perfect... But hey, what really IS perfect, anyway? I made a zip file for you (no bugs, I swear) with a PSD, a style set, and a little tutorial on what I did. I hope you like it, Photoshop lagged and froze my computer for almost 15 minutes and I had to reboot so YOU BETTER BE HAPPY WITH IT!

Just playing, have fun and good luck :D

Hmm... Seems either uploads aren't on or there's a CHMOD issue:

"THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error."

Oh well, I'll put it online: SunBlind's Cyan Glass

First of all, you'd think someone would appreciate quick responses in a help forum :D And I wasn't online all day yesterday, that post happened to be the newest when I logged on :D

You guys are qwik to respond, don't you do anything besides set in front of your computer and wait for questions? lol.

There are a couple of reasons for quick replies, one is that most people here try to be helpful, and two it keeps hosting credits up (don't want to have your hosting suspended).

SunBlind thanks for the response, but what is the .asl file it has an icon of a Photoshop Elements (that's what I use) but will not open? There are image folders for each color (red, green, blue, yellow, orange, and cyan) I haven't looked too much at the .css files I just know that each style has its own style sheet. I will check out your site because I can hardly draw a stickman. I can alter hues and stuff but when it comes to layers and masks and all that stuff I have absolutely nary a clue!

I am technical and not very artistic at all, that is why I write code.

Oh dear, my apologies! I assumed that you had Photohop 7 or higher, how stupid of me *slaps head*I don't have any experience with Elements, I've been a PS7 person for 5 or 6 years. The .asl file is a style (I don't know if you have those in Elements) it's basically a saved preset of blending options (for drop shadow, inner glow, overlays, etc.)If Elements does implement styles, you can't open it directly... You have to save it into the Presets folder (for me it's C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Styles) Then when you load PS, in your styles window load the "SunBlind's Cyan Glass" style and apply it to your shape.Since you didn't know what the .asl file was, I probably just told you all of that for nothing :DLet me know what kind of blending options you can apply in Elements and I can give you the settings, rather than the file. Or if you look in the PSD, you should be able to see them there.

Actually I found out what it was because Elements added it to my styles like this

Posted Image

Now all I need to do is figure out how to actually use my program, it is basically Photoshop but without all the super duper things that would come with it.

I have lavers and the filters and pretty much the same things as Photoshop but have had it so long I don't even remeber what the real differences are but I can tell you that Adobe makes it.

Well that's good news, I think! I can't see the image you posted, though. But did you get it figured out? If the style thing since isn't working for you, just open the .psd and you should see the effects of the style shown on the layer. Then if you have a Styles palette (the little window that lists all the styles you have installed) click on the "new" icon (it's the little square) and it should ask you to name the style. Let me know if you get it, or if you want I can walk you through it on msn, yahoo, or AOL instant messenger :D

Well that's good news, I think! I can't see the image you posted, though.

But did you get it figured out? If the style thing since isn't working for you, just open the .psd and you should see the effects of the style shown on the layer. Then if you have a Styles palette (the little window that lists all the styles you have installed) click on the "new" icon (it's the little square)  and it should ask you to name the style. Let me know if you get it, or if you want I can walk you through it on msn, yahoo, or AOL instant messenger :)

1064334798[/snapback]

Hi, I'new to this forum and am just poking around. I wish I could SEE the design your talking about. I love trying to recreate other peoples designs. What a great way to learn the different ways to use photoshop

Ive been using photoshop for a while now and i would probably be able to recreate that. Looks to me that SunBlind knows how its created and exaclty what i think its made of. Basically all you need is alot of gradient usage and probably the Dodge tool and Burn tool was used to create this image for better effects of the image. Once you master these techniques its pretty easy to re-create. Nice one SunBlind and good luck Houdini with the recreation of it :o