xisto Community
warbird1405241485

Moderators Decreased ? or is it something else???

Ey all, yesterday when I was looking in the member list I noticed something strange, the number of moderators seemed to be decreased, maybe it was already for a long time and I just didn't noticed it, maybe not. But I can't find any new moderators. Is it because the Xisto community is getting smaller (I've found it less busier then usual the past few months) and don't need more mods or is it just that there aren't any people around here who are good enough to become mod? I know I wouldn't be a good one, but there are quite a few people who I think would be good mods. Any explanation please?-=jeroen=-

Usually new mods are invited after another mod or admin recommends that person to become one. I don't have a explanation though for why there are less new mods invited though.

Well, both HTML_Guru and twitch(guy) have been made mods in the last 6 months. twitch was made a mod just a few weeks ago. As far as the lack of new mods is that we currently have enough for the workload. We seem to have fewer spammers coming to the site these days so the need for a lot of moderators ins't required. Additionally, there have been many tools added to the forum to assist the staff and members maintain the forum. The report post feature was upgraded and now give use a better means to check the report out. The old system sent each staff member a PM then the first one to read the PM could either resolve the issue, leave it alone, or pass it off to an admin. This was done with notes in the post and PM's so it could take a while to get resolved because no one was sure if it had been checked by other staff members. The new system lists all of the reported post with the report and a link to the post. There is an option of deleting the report, leaving it open, or closing it. This way the staff member checking the reports can see which ones are unresolved.The credit system makes our jobs easier because it automatically filters out spammers because it takes a spammer so many posts to get enough credits for hosting. When a staff member sees a new member applying for hosting and sees that they have a large post count, they can be sure that the posts are very short. Checking those post usually confirms this. Then just deal with the junk posts and get rid of the spammer. The Hosting Application Script provides new users with more oppurtunities to read all of the required information prior to requesting a hosting account. Further modifictions to the script have added another level of checking the user by checking their hosting credits prior to generating the application. This gives the user yet another oppurtunity to read the required information prior to applying for a hosting account.One other step has been to post topics in various places on the forum to trick new users into reading the required information prior to requesting a hosting account. These posts use creative titles to lure the new user to the post. This is for people that arrive at our site thinking that this is like MySpace or GeoCities. This Has redirected many users to become good posters or new Xisto members.vujsa

I would never dare to tell anyone how to confirm people into authoritative positions, but considering the massive input here, and the experiences I have had in the past 5 years of hosting sites, unless you know these guys very well, I would keep them at a distance. Promote those with whom you talk to and not by posts or e-mails.It took me 2-3 times before I learned not to had out promotions easily. It's just a suggestion, that's all.RELIC

Fortunately in our case - every single person who's been promoted to an authoritative position had a terrific posting record to go with it. That has always been our first criteria - coz only those who're able to make such posts, can infact identify the good ones next in line as well as help in weeding out the bad ones. Am happy to say that not for once our trust/faith has been misplaced :D That in itself says a fat lot for the wild bunch we got as mods here :D