xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Houdini

MxBB Portal: A phpBB2 Based Portal

Ha anyone tryed the mxBB Portal that integrates with phpBB2? It allows you to have a Portal kind of like PHP-Nuke or Mambo or XOOPS. What you do is set up one database that mxBB and phpBB2 share, then you install first your phpBB2 forum, after that you install the mxBB Portal.

The neat thing about it is that you can use all the mods for phpBB just like you would in the standalone verion. This is because except for the integration of the mxBB and the phpBB the forum is still standalone.

I have set the system up on one of my servers and am still learning how to use it after running PHP-Nuke for about a year and a half mostly because it does use phpBB for the forums and I like the phpBB. You can see how a site like it workswith Easy MOD already installed and Advanced BB Code box and the File Attachment MOD, with more coming at this LINK and if you want to try the software for yourself then you can go to the home page HERE. If you like phpBB and all the MODs that are available for it and are thinking about a portal then you might want to visit those links.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

Nice Script Houdini .. I might wana try this out .. but the last time i wanted to go solo with only a phpBB2 board and apply MODS like attachment mod .. i screwed it up like crazy ..

This is a CMS portal similar to Nuke i suppose ? Anyways i'll give this a try .. but wouldent stick to it because as the lazy bum i am :D i prefer modded versions of a forum .. reason being that after testing and changing/editing files just to get the hang of "What is PHP" .. i managed to ruin installations or damaging the DB etc ..

But i must say these guys have done a great job .. looks neat and eazy .. btw just a small question thought u might know .. what do these mean ?

pafileDB

paFileDB sub-forum hack

Knowledge Base

Knowledge base is something where words or keywords are defined at large .. what do the other 2 mean ? Just a n00b question :D

Regards

Dhanesh ..

Actually the Knowledge Base is more than a definition of terms, it is what you make it. Like the Knowledge Base with Microsoft It explains or clarifies an area of knowledge. It might be an article on how to back up your XP operating system after you have installed a Service Pack in the event you ever have a hard drive failure and want your XP just like it was prior to the crash. An encyclopedia might define term and also give examples but a knowledge base would be a module that anyone can contribute to that show how to lets say use a particular PHP function or a JavaScript that does something useful.

The other two PafileDB and ProfileCP are modules that;
PafileDB

This module adds an advanced download manager, featured with permissions and more.

ProfileCP

The ProfileCP module adds an extended profile manager to the portal.

The attachment MOD is difficult to install in you are not used to installing MODs, and it is one of the first MODs that I ported from phpBB2 to PHP-Nuke which made it very difficult to install, since I had to rewrite and alter a lot of the file in order for it to work. With mxBB though you can use any MOD written for phpBB2 ncluding Easy Mod which installs many MODs with the click of your mouse, a MOD that would take up to an hour to manually install would only take a minute or two with Easy MOD and it does it all for you (problem is that not all MODs are compatible and may not install with it).