xisto Community
Bio1405241516

What Are Your Opinions / Views About Oracle ?

What can you say about Oracle. I never used it so i want to hear from experts what is Oracle like :-)

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
Topic title edited to suit the nature of content better. In future try to make your topic title more descriptive.
Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

It's wonderful for enterprise-level application. It's also very powerful. The oracle has some extra tools for developer (form builder , for ex). Nowaday, Oracle is the best Database. Even better than MSSQL. Anyway, it not for personal use and small project. Because it require lots of system resource. And the price, not cheap enough for individual developer.

And the price, not cheap enough for individual developer.

oracorp trusts individual developpers, they can try oracle for free. The licence is very expensive, but they trust you, they know you will not take the risk of using it on a production site without having paid the product.

Oracle has made recent moves to sort of support open source databases. Oracle is a good comapny to work with/for .But I guess being a big corporation they can never get away with finger pointing. There would always be people saying Oracle is evil...becuase they make money.Personally i liked their move of giving out free 10g DB for Linux (atleast small eval version)its good times for database learning students like me :D

10g DB for Linux (atleast small eval version)

It's a full working version. And it's not limited to Linux. You say the reason why you want a free copy, explaining that you want to learn how to develop on big RDBMS, and the oracle sales reps can give you free access to Crosoft Windows version, as well as to Solaris or AIX version.

What can you say about Oracle. I never used it so i want to hear from experts what is Oracle like :-)

Notice from miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG:
Topic title edited to suit the nature of content better. In future try to make your topic title more descriptive.

Oracle is a power beast. It can perfom alot of functions and the most important thing it can offer is the automatic expansion of its data system that can bypass the maximum limits given by the host operating system.

Example is using Oracle on an OS with a file size limit of 10gig. Ordinary database system will stop storing data when its data file hits the 10gig limit. On the other hand, enabling the big file system on Oracle will trigger Oracle to manage its own data file and all its operating related files will be stored inside its big file data.

It is like having a whole new operating system inside a single file.

---

One of its major advantages is the stored procedures. Using stored procedures enables the programmer to develop smaller program codes with high end functionality.

Stored procedures are data program codes that we call directly from Oracle. This program codes run over Oracle itself allowing a faster response time for critical data sensitive functionality..

---

Oracle is also highly compatible with Java compilers and program since one of its main engine is the sun Java. A lot of its library is also written with Java.

Oracle was partially released as an open source though I have no idea on how much was made open. Never have the time to check it out.

---

Oracle management is critical here since if you cannot fully understand its functionalities, you will end up with an overkill database system that functions like an access database..

---

despite all of its benifits, I still use mySQL since 90% of what Oracle can do, the new release of mySQL can also perform and best of all. mySQL have oracle functionalities but 0 of oracles cost.

:o they also both run on a wide varity systems. If you are a big company trying to find a great database solution and a person to point fingers at in cases of errors, then oracle is the best solution.

From my understanding. If you need "big" then think "big". Oracle is the way to go if you're a huge company. But for most small-medium sized business, and personal use, the license fees are just too high to be of any use. There are plenty of free/cheap solutions that work very well.I had the privledge of using oracle in one of my college courses. It seemed to be very well-rounded, but I'm not very good at Database Management, and definately not a database administrator, so I couldn't take advantage of all the features it offered.