xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mysyasir

Winfile.exe: Can Someone Please Help Me Removing ? Can someone please help me removing?

Hello,I am using Windows XP Professional SP2. My computer has been infected by winfile.exe. when i used a usb flash stick yesterday. Someone told me that this is a harmful virus. Can someone please tell me what is the danger due to this and how can it be removed? I will be thankful to you.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

I'm afraid that the removal method is quite long and tedious and beyond the scope of this article.

However you can read a full-blown article on this at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

What their threat metrics say is that this isn't a very harmful worm - it's got quite a low threat count in all groups. However, the files it infects are beyond repair.

As per their suggestion a good standard AV should be able to remove this worm for you. Maybe others can point you to a better and easier method of removing this.

Let's see if Ewido can weed out all the bad files. Download Ewido and install it. Check for updates. Don't run it yet.

Boot into Safe Mode. Run Ewido full system scan. Remove whatever it finds. When it's done, restart and go back to Safe Mode again to run Ewido a second time. See if it still finds any bad files besides the usual cookie files.

If you have an antivirus program installed, update it and see if it can detect anything.

Ewido is a 14 day trial program, but if you go over the 14 day trial period, it will become the free version. I recommend keeping it along with the antivirus program you have as it's compatible with most antivirus programs and also a good alternative to have at your side.