xisto Community
PureHeart

What's Installed On Your System?

I'm having a study about uncopyrighted and copyrighted software usage.I'm writing this to ask all members of Xisto about what you have on your computer. In some country, people prefer using uncopyrighted software. In your reply, please include

1.List of copyrighted software that you have+ price for each.

2.The total value of uncopyrighted software on your system(if there's any)(you DON'T need to list the name of them)

3.Percent of copyrighted software that you use (based on value, not number).

Hi!I from Russia. And though my country has "piracy" reputation, software which I use is license or free. It speaks simply - i don't have own computer at home and I use at job and home corporate notebook, the software on which is paid by firm :huh: Licensed:MS Windows XP Professional (preinstalled)Kaspersky AntiVirus 5.0 Workstation (~40$)MS Office XP (~200$)MS FoxPro 9 Professional(~600$)Borland Delphi 2005 Enterprise (~2800$)Adobe Photoshop CS2 (~570$)free:Kerio Personal Firewall 4.1Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0ICQ 5 LiteNetBeans 5.0Denver 2 package (personal local web-server, based on Apache)Opera 8.50RSSReader 1.0.88.0many small free tools

Maaaaan, I'm not on my own computer right now, but I don't think I could help you out much regardless. Firstly, I don't know the price of half the software I've boughten over the years anymore, I could estimate but it'd probably all just be $50 a pop guesses. Also, if someone were to have illegal software, they probably wouldn't have gone out to check the price beforehand, especially on pricer items like photoshop which is known as a fairly pirated piece of software. I'll still take a look once I'm back on my own system and throw a list together if I remember, but I have a feeling some people such as myself won't be able to give you accurate info :| Unless I'm just dumb and everyone memorizes he prices of all their software except for me heh

Well, I am from Lithuania and not much home users buys the software legally when they can easily download it through an lan ftp or dc++ etc. but now the laws and stuff, almost all the offices and stuff needs to use legal software.. or to risk.. anyway, here is what I got:MS Windows XP ProFree:Opera, FirefoxThunderbird,X-Chat 2Gaim, SkypeGimpFree PascalPHP DesignerNotepad 2VLCQuintessential Media PlayerFilezillaD-ToolsWAMP ServerMySQL AdministratorOpen Office 2PuttyClamWin Anti VirusSpy Bot Search and DestroyAdAwareWinUAEAdobe ReaderGoogle TalkGoogle EarthCelestiaCHMOD-Winand many more tools I rarely use, so I won't even list them.So yeah, I like to use Open Source and Freeware software, I have some Shareware which license I think I am prohibiting and I use Nero which I did not buy and some Games, but that is all, so to confess I never paid for Software on Windows, I am a long time Linux user.

Ah, I didn't mention my system.

Softwares (Copyrighted)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 2

Fedora Core 4

Ahead Nero 6(CD-Burning Software)

Norton Internet Security 2005

PRTG Traffic Grapher

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional

Vietkar9

Opera 8

Firefox 1.0.7

Development Tools

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - Express Edition (include VB.NET, C++, C#, J#...)

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Express Edition

Graphics Server .NET 3.0 for Express

NetBeans 4.1

Sun Java Studio Creator

Java Studio 8 - Enterprise Edition (I got this directly from SDN)

Borland JBuilder X

TortoiseCVS

Apache HTTP Server

PHP 4.0.2

100% piracy here in india..
i have not bought a single software.. so i dont know whats their cost :)

Quite the same situation here in Bosnia and Hercegovina. Any software you can by for about 1$, if you pay more you are just recommended yourself as fool.

Pakistan's pretty much the same. even ifyou wanted licensed software, hardly anyone sells it, other than operating systems:Copyrighted:XP ProPhotoshop CS2DivXTotal CommanderPGP 9Office 2007Nero 6Free:BitcometDAPDVDShrinkDVD DecrypterRegionfreeFilezillaGIMPJAlbumWinRarWinampVLC Media PlayerMP3GainminiMIZEYpopsUncopyrighted: (gosh, I'm the first to actually put a price tag on it)$15,000 roughly

Well like most people on here I have an extensive list which would take me quite a while to post.But on my paid software list I would have to say that one of my favorites is photoshop elements. I got it in a bundle when I bought a new scanner, which given the price of a scanner it was a great deal. Since I'm not a graphic designer it's a great tool. It does everything I need it to.Some of my other free ones that I frequently include:Audio Archive Compressor (love it)FirefoxWSFTP (so old that it was free when I got it.)Winzip (so old that it was free when I got it.)DVD DecrypterFor several years I paid for all the adobe apps for video and photo editing. But the cost of keeping the software current kept getting higher and higher. So the versions I have at the moment I can honestly say are not licensed.MS Office Professional I also received free as I knew someone who worked for a company that was a partner to MS. They were able to pick up copies pretty cheap. (legal versions.) I believe it was $10 or $30 - given the actual cost of the program I consider what I got it for to be free.Excell is one of my most used apps.

Software including the OS I use don't really need to be licensed.. OS: Sabayon 3.25 (free)Amarok Music player (free & too bad it isn't available for my windows friends ;) )MPlayer video player (free)Azeurus file sharing (free)Opera 9/Firefox 2 (free)Games: Quake4 & ColdWar (free)GIMP for image editing (free)Beryl 3d desktop (free)gcc & qt for programming (free)And the best part.. I didn't have to install any of these.. except the OS! ;) Hmmmmmm...

MS Windows Vista Ultimate :PFree:Opera, FirefoxThunderbird,SkypePHP DesignerVLCQuintessential Media PlayerFilezillaD-ToolsWAMP ServerMySQL AdminOpen Office 2PuttyNOD32Spy Bot Search and DestroyAdAwareWinIsoAdobe Reader 8Google TalkGoogle EarthCelestiaCHMOD-Winand many more tools I rarely use, so I won't even list them.Open Source and Freeware software is the way to go :P

This is going to be a very short list.Licensed and legal:Windows XP Pro (main pc)Windows Vista Home Premium (Laptop)Xilinx ISEMultisim 2001ModelsimI use a lot of freeware applications, but I'm not going to list them because I have too many of them :P . I only have like 5% of software for which I have to pay and 50% of that isn't legal (I'm not realy proud on that fact, but as a student I just can't afford everything I need/want)

I would understand especially when you are a student. Not that I'm encouraging not buying software, but think about it. There's so much freeware around and of course open source application. Sourceforge is one of the website I usually visit. And here are the list of software in my computer.

Microsoft XP OEM
FileZilla
FireFox
ThunderBird
Xammp
Open Office
7-Zip
GIMP
Active Virus Shield
Putty
Google Talk
Itune - all time favourite