xisto Community
soleimanian

Create A Hidden Folder

Create a hidden folder

this way is diffrent from common hide command in folder properties

There are many utility programs that allow you to protect, encrypt and hide your folders

But these programs are expensive and may damage your system

You can windows XP ability to create hidden folders, follow me

1- create a folder

2- right click on folder and select properties

3- select customize tab and click on "change icon", a dialog box appears

4- click on an empty area and click ok

=================================

Posted Image

====================================

5- now, you should rename your folder, press F2 and then hold down ALT and type 255 and finally press ENTER ;):)

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Oh man, this is great! Even though it can be seen in Windows Explorer if you select everything, Total Commander doesn't see it :confused: I am not quite sure how can this be possible, but I guess you won't tell us any details (if you know) :D Anyway, if there was karme here, you would get one point more from me.

CREATING A HIDDEN FOLDERCreate A Hidden Folder

That is not working!

To Create A Hidden Folder,,,

1. Make A Folder

2. Right Click On The Folder

3. Click "Hidden" On the General Tab

4. Press Enter

*To View the Folder*

1. Type the Adress/Location Of The Folder in The Adress Bar (Drive:/Location/Name of The Folder) e.X. C:/Documents and Settings/123

-reply by Darwin

This works because you are giving the folder both a completely icon, and an apparently "blank" name. The name is blank because 255 is the ALT code for a null character, which although is a real character, is not displayed like a real one. You can use ALT-0160 as well.

Just a note that on Linux you can hide files and folders (though I don't know that efficient) by adding a dot in front of the name of the file or folder.

OK, this is only for lazy users or for non-root users.

Standard Linux users work in a command-line window, and if they type "ls -l" they will not see your dot-something folders or files.

But if the same user types "ls -al", the "a" standind for "all" he will see all the files, including the files and folder whose name start with a "."

From a philosophical point of view, this hides files to non-experienced users, you cannot hide files from experienced users.

And you don't really need to hide folders from Linux newbies. When I create a stander folder named "/usr/lib/useles_things", very few people are able to simply see that this folder exist, is a non-standard folder and would go and see what is inside it. That's why I never need to hide my Unix private folders, nobody would have idea to go and look inside them.

HiThis how to make a hidden folder on macOpen Terminaltype "cd` where ever you want your folder"(without the quotes)type "mkdir ".My Hidden Folder"(without the quotes)type mv "Existing Folder" ".ExistingFoldertype mv ".My Hidden Folder" "My Hidden FolderTo access the folder open finder go to the menu highlight go move your cursor(mouse) to the right click Go to folder and type in the path for the folder that you just made in terminalByeP.S. Hope this works

P.S. Hope this works

The current topic concerns Microsoft Windows folders.Your trick is a Unix newbie trick.
All non-newbie Unix folks know this trick and they type "ls -a" instead of "ls" and see the folder.
Could you please try your trick on your Mac and verify that, also on the mac, your "invisible" folder is seen when typin "ls -a" or "ls -al" ?
Regards
Yordan

This topic made me laugh and recall my past memories. I used to do this trick in my school labs. We had to use the same PC for every lab session. I used to make many such folders in D drive (the PC's only had C and D drive), that is one folder named with one null character, the second folder named with two null characters and so on. Students from other batches had there C programs on the PC. Myself being a humble naughty person, used to cut paste their user folders in to these invisible folders. These guys knowing that some mischiefs would have done it, used to literally open each of the invisible folders to find their user folders, and sometimes I even used to make invisible folders inside another invisible folder! I saw a guy doing this when we were leaving the labs. Lol, he probably didn't heard about windows search or windows explorer. Anyway, I did till him about it another day.

this does not work if u click view all folders

That is not working!

"To Create A Hidden Folder,,,

1. Make A Folder

2. Right Click On The Folder

3. Click "Hidden" On the General Tab

4. Press Enter

*To View the Folder*

1. Type the Adress/Location Of The Folder in The Adress Bar (Drive:/Location/Name of The Folder) e.X. C:/Documents and Settings/123

-reply by Darwin"

you can see the folder on the sidebar if u click folders

I know one with DOS command. Another i know is by with softwares like file and folder protector. And many similar softwares which allows folder security. Some take advantage of login system. And display only the folder to particular user. Though instead of using such softwares command line trick is always useful and handy too. I'm looking for such tricks on linux. But linux is more handy with user group management. users can't delete or modify roots folder. So hiding it is not possible at first place. That's one good thing about linux.