xisto Community
PureHeart

Can I Access MySQL Database From Outsite, Directly

I'm going to make an OFFLINE FORUM. So I want to know is that possible or not. My paid host don't allow that. How about Xisto?

We can imagine a lot of ways of making an offline forum. For instance, sending mails and receiving the answers. So, first of all, we must see what PureHeart means by offline forum.

OFFLINE FORUM is a kind of forum run on client. It will download all the new threads and posts of the forum at one. After that, the user can disconnect and do things on the copy of forum (on their local machine)(reply, create new topic, for example). This will save BW and connecting time. After that, they reconnect and send all their work back to the forum. An OFFLINE FORUM is going to be used for my Dial-up users, because they're charge based on time of connecting, not BW.

Then all they need is to query the database with the new messages which should be nubered sequentially so the query would only download those posts which were entered since their last visit, you would have to have a means of letting the database know what the last message was that was on their machine, the database does not care whether or not the user that is quering them just now came online and will fulfill the query and be done with that request. The database itself is always online but with the users intermittently accessing it is of no matter.Instead of acting like a normal server the forum is actually being used like a mail server but how it is being used doesn't matter even if a user is constantly online but does not make a request for data then the database as far as it is concerned they are not there so I really don't see what the problem with the offline or limited use of the database is you would just fetch all the new messages then log off and the database could care less as well as the user.

YES YES YES :huh: I mean YES you can ..

All you gotta do is from cPanel MySQL DB Setup, add the hostmask which will be allowed to connect to your DB.

If you want all users to be able to connect to this DB, your hostmask should be %.%.%.%

and if it is only a certain segment from IP range say, 213.214.x.x - you do 213.214.%.%

That'll enable you to connect - for hostname, set your subdomain's name and port should be 3306.

To test your configuration and remote manipulation of your databases, I recommend this tool called SQLYog - a real power-packed MySQL Administrator Tool, the lite version of which is freely downloadable at https://www.webyog.com/

If you set up % as access host won't people be able to manipulate your database (yes there is a password, but it would probably be in that offline program, right?+ people would be able to query your database till it crashs?

The password which is store in the program is for an read-only account.The program will submit information via HTTP instead of direct query.I've never thought about that before. I may make some query time limitation in the program.Thank you ruben.

+ people would be able to query your database till it crashs?

It's the same thing with your web access, people using a trainer like "loadrunner" will be able to query your database site until it crashes.

See if someone wanted to crash you DB - one could easily do it with a massive DDoS attack. On the other hand, if you want people to be able to access your forums - you need the % hostmask. One way to stop such activities would be to have some sort of a good router with DDoS preventive mechanism - along with that use your OS Firewall rules to limit the number of connections on a per IP basis. None of these techniques are 100% foolproof when used alone - but a clever combination of all might just help you pull through :huh: