xisto Community
Neverseen

Some Strange Problem

Hello there,
In fact I've got some strange problems with my hosting. A couple of months ago all worked (almost) perfectly and I had about 30 or 40 unique visitors per day showed in Analysis and Log files / Web/FTP Stats of my cPanel.. then one day I was on my cPanel to check how many visitors I had and it showed ZERO :D That's just impossible that noone visits my website anymore, because I stil have new entries in the guestbook and I stil receive the emails that people send from my website's contact form... So I visited my own site myself and the stats showed "1 visitor today" then I sent the link to some friends and asked them to visit my website to check if their visits will be detected, and what do you think my stats showed ? "1 visitor" ! Next day I tryed to access my website from university PC, when I got back home I've checked the stats again, and there was ZERO visitors :huh: So this means that my visit from university wasn't detected by the stats system and only the visits from MY HOME PC are detected :) And this problem is not only with "Web/FTP Stats" thing, but also with "Latest Visitors".
Also another problem but that I think is related with the one above. Let's imagine I've connected to my FTP using FlashFXP , created a folder and uploaded a rar file (or whatever extension you want). So the direct adress would be http://myDomain.com/myfolder/myfile.rar Now when I'm trying to access this direct link (or even the folder I've created) from my PC, there's no problems, but if I send this link to someone, or try to access it from anywhere else than from my home, it will show "file not found" :P By the way, if you access the site itself (I mean http://www.mydomain.com/) from anywhere it will be showed normaly with all images e.t.c..
I have no idea how this could have happened. If someone knows how to resolve that, it will be much appreciated.
And yeah, also another thing. Some months ago I've created a subdomain and redirected it to my little free hosting I have from my ISP. It worked perfectly for about 2 or 3 months, and now it refuses to redirect :P

Maybe you are looking at the "unique visitor" counter. Then, all the people from your university will be coming from the same IP address (your proxy address), and all of them will count as a single one.

Just one thing to add although you might have noticed it already, updates in Cpanel are refreshed automatically after every 24 hours last time i checked i believe.

I think this problem is related to the DeviantArt problem i had a couple of months ago. I used a dynamic IP with my ISP so my IP is constantly changing everytime i go on to the net. I tried to sign up for DeviantArt but it said my ISP has been blocked because of some other person trying to create multiple accounts using the same IP. OK, so this is really stupid, i tried using another computer of mine going on the same ISP - obviously, same problem. But when i used the school computer to sign up, it worked. The school computers used the same ISP company but of course, a different plan. I'm not sure how this works but hey, doesn't this sound familiar when trying to relate to your problem?

The server might have detected tons of people from the same ISP but when they detected your college ISP, they gave it a 1. I'm not exactly sure about all this either. Maybe you should try using an external counter/hit counter. Here's an example:

http://www.sitemeter.com/

Use it not as a permanent stat counter but more as a temporary one to compare cpanel's counter to this other one. Hope this helps!

interesting but even though everyone is using a computer at the university it will still have its own unqiue Ip number.but a good suggestion that techo said get a site counter (use one the one in the cpanel set up to make it quicker.)

Although your feedbacks were not usefull, thanks anyway for your time. First of all, it doesn't matter if my university has only one IP or more than one IP. As I've explained in my first post, I've sent the link to some of my friends and they all live in different places, and some of them even in different countries, so it has nothing to do with my university's IP. And EVEN if my university had only one IP, it wouldn't be the reason, because I'm 100% sure that there's a lot of people all over the world that are visiting my site everyday, and I still have 0 visits on my counter. Now about the sitemeter. Thanks for suggestion, but I know that this kind of thing exists and I would already install it longtime ago if I wanted to, so there's nothing new or useful for me either. What I was expecting is a solution of this cPanel problem to get it working correctly as it was before. I though there are some experienced people on this forum (because Xisto's target is to make a QUALITY forum with QUALITY users and QUALITY posts), but it looks like I was wrong. So for now I'm still at the same point and almost hopeless to find a solution here. Just a little bit of hope is left that some nice and intelligent guy will read this and will give me some usefull advises. :huh: Pease out.

what kind of statistics are empty ?

On my cpanel I have lots and lots of statistics, for instance thousands of pages visited in november and december, here below is a screenshot of the type of statistics I have on my cpanel :

Posted Image

Which statistics are empty in your cpanel ?

Yordan

oh well... still having problems here. Now when I'm trying to access my cpanel by http://myDomain.com/cpanel it doesn't even let me in.. but if I connect through Xisto's IP there's no problems.. and by the way, now when I connected by ftp there was no counter problem ! But here comes another major issue. When I'm trying to see my own website, I see some cPanel message which says: "There is no website configured at this address. You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site." But when I send the link to some of my friends, they say that they can see the website and that all seems to be normal ! How is it possible ? Does anyone know what does this reaction of the website to different IP's mean ? Please help ! Well I'm transferring my domain atm and changing the hosting as well, but Im still with Xisto now and when I send the link to my friends , they see the site which is hosted here at Xisto.

oh well... still having problems here. Now when I'm trying to access my cpanel by http://myDomain.com/cpanel it doesn't even let me in.. but if I connect through Xisto's IP there's no problems.. and by the way, now when I connected by ftp there was no counter problem !

But here comes another major issue. When I'm trying to see my own website, I see some cPanel message which says: "There is no website configured at this address. You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site." But when I send the link to some of my friends, they say that they can see the website and that all seems to be normal ! How is it possible ? Does anyone know what does this reaction of the website to different IP's mean ? Please help !

Well I'm transferring my domain atm and changing the hosting as well, but Im still with Xisto now and when I send the link to my friends , they see the site which is hosted here at Xisto.

1064333999[/snapback]

This page means that your "index.html" page has disappeared. Have a look with ftp or with cpanel or with what you want, to verify that your main page is still there and is still named "index.htm" or "index.html", and that everybody has reading permission on it.

Regards

Yordan

Yordan, I really appreciate your advises, but one thing which is funny is that you don't read the whole messages I post :D Looks like you read only some of the first lines ;) If you read carefully, you'll see that "index.htm" couldn't have dissapeared, because my friends still can see the NORMAL website and now they have no problems with viewing it. BUT, some days ago I've completely reinstalled my Windows XP, and now I can see the website :P Funny, eh ?! And the stats work without any problem now. That's some really strange ****. I have no idea what the problem was, but at least the problems are gone... and also from 2006 I'll be with my new paid hosting so I hope this was my last problem at Xisto :D

I think I know what your problem is but I'm surprised it is still a problem after all this time.When we (Hosted Sites) move from on server to another like we did a few weeks ago (upgraded servers), our data is left on the old server and copied onto the new server. The old server keeps whatever IP address it had while the nameserver is pointed to the new server's IP address. Usually, not everyones service providers, local systems, and cache get the new information at the same time so there is a chance that new information is added to the old server by some even though the new server should be running. Kind of like giving a change of address card to the post office but not getting any mail for the first few days at your new home while they figure out what to do with you mail.Now this is where things get interesting. If you access your FTP account via IP address and don't update that IP address when the server is changed, you can actually upload files to the wrong server. The same is true if you access the cPanel with an out of date IP address. You could actually be looking at the stats from your website as it is used on the old server which would receive 0 visitors because the domain should point to the new server.If you log into the cPanel and look on the left side, you will see the name of the server. If you see "panda", you are on the wrong server. We are currently on "gamma" server. Now here is the kicker, you may be the only one on the wrong server in fact, I even hesitate to suggest that this is the issue since it has been so long since we moved.Now if you are accessing the wrong server and if you can only access via the IP address, then you'll need to request that you service provider update their DNS information to fix the problem. You may also need to flush your DNS information from your local system.The fact that you get a "There is no website configured at this address." message leads me to believe that "panda" server is now offline so you can no longer access it. You need a way to point your system to the correct IP address for your domain name. Like I said everything you have described in your posts is a symptom of this problem but I can't believe that your requests are not being directed to the correct server yet.I can not give you the instructions you'll need to fix the problem but now that you know what the problem is, I hope you can find a solution.vujsa

If you see "panda", you are on the wrong server.

I had that problem with my forums, because "panda" was hard-coded in my progs. After the site migration, the forums and the photo galleries stopped working. Everything were corrected when I coded "localhost" as server, instead of "panda".