xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saxsux

Yahoo! Launches New Security Centre

Yahoo! have recently launched a new security centre in which "youâll find help and advice to keep your PC safe and secure". It's available at https://uk.antispam.yahoo.com/

My first impression is that the page seems to be sponsored by Symantec. The entire right-hand side of the page seems to be dedicated to Symantec stuff, which is terrible if a Yahoo! user has McAfee, ALWIL, or some other security software, provided by anyone other than Symantec, like me. The article of the month is also provided by Symantec. In fact, it seems as though almost all of the content on the site is provided by Symantec.
The rest seems to outline Yahoo!'s security policies regarding spam, etc and seems more like a front to get more people to sign up for Yahoo! Mail than anything else.

To be honest, all the information on the site is either easily available from somewhere else (eg Symantec), or seems to be terribly biased in Yahoo!'s favour.

In my opinion, this new Security Centre is a waste of Yahoo!'s server space and bandwidth, and a waste of anyone else's time. The people that benefit from it aren't the end users, who visit the centre, those that benefit are Yahoo! and Symantec.

But, that's just my opinion. What do you think?

A few obversations:Is this a UK only site/service?The second is never underestimate the stupidity/ignorance/nieveness of computer users. After following computer security for a few year it still absloutly suprises me how unprotected many Internet users are. Only by sheer luck do many users dodge the bullet of complete system comprimise. The information may be basic to us and can be found virturally anywhere on the web, but to some users this information needs to be blasted to them. All Internet users need a level of education when it comes to computer security. The more places the better. Perhaps this one page can save a few people for certain Internet doom.In short, I like it. This should be plastered in more places.