xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pokbunnag

PHP Vs. Asp.net: Which Is Better ? PHP vs ASP.NET

Between PHP and ASP.NET, please tell me what is better? I know that php is quite easier and there're many free host and it's opensource. But ASP.NET can do web services (I don't know php can or not)So please help me to find out what should be the best.

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

It depends on your need. For a small/personal sites, use PHP. For a large/commercial site, ASP.NET is a better choice. Something to know :There're more open source script for PHP than for ASP.NETMost hosting provider (include Xisto) support PHP.ASP.NET is more expensive.And finally, PHP doesn't support Web Services (up to now).

And finally, PHP doesn't support Web Services (up to now).

1064332785[/snapback]

What exactly do you mean by web-services ? If it is XML-RPC, and SOAP or the WDDX (Web Distributed Data Exchange) - the precursor of SOAP - then PHP supports ALL of them presently. Also alongwith PHP use can use the PEAR and cURL libraries to achieve immense flexibility and perform any given web-service.

even though i never program in asp have some experiance with php i have to agree with pureheart, you want to use php for smaller sites like forums or fan sites or something like that. and use asp like bestbuy tyle websites that selling nothing but products.

Not really - whatever you can do with ASP, can be easily done with PHP - so nothing's stopping you from coming up with a site that's fully PHP based and yet capable of e-Commerce. Biggest difference is, ASP will run only of IIS - which I find a pathetic webserver and limits you to code only on windows. On the other hand, php will run on both windows and *nix and in fully compatible with Apache. So there.

There's something that make ASP.NET better, the way page called. In ASP.NET if there's about N (a very large amount) people access the same page, it just like one people do. But in PHP, system overload, because PHP is just a server-side scripting language. It's not a real programming language yet.

What do you mean? ASP.NET can end the session after a specific time. This can be set. I'm not know how to do it exactly but I know that's possible. My friend did it before, in one of his project.

Cool cool :) The debate's getting HOT :huh:I'd still argue for PHP - ASP.NET is restrictive in many different ways. If you weigh the advantages and disadvantages of both - PHP would come out a clear winner by a big margin. Moreover - as I said earlier, ASP(.NET) limits you to using ONLY Windows Platform and IIS Webserver. I don't think one has to mention - how buggy and unstable are both - so whatever advantages you might get in volume page handling, is all lost because of it's inherent instability. So there.. Lets have some more fors and againsts - and keep on your best behaviours.. no abusing from any quarters please

i would go with PHP. I have started learning it and it is the best so far for me. Even though i do create my sites in frontpage and some features need asp, they can easily be done with php, but with a little more coding as frontpage adds the code automatically to asp scripts. Also as m^e said its a pain to run it on a windows server. Apache is far better and is freely downloadable, but with windows iis... I had my windows installed from a computer support service, and i didnt get the windows cd with it. So im stuck i cant and dont want to use iis even though there are few features that will be handy, apache is the better over that and so is PHP.ASP and IIS are not freely downloadable PHP and apache are.