xisto Community
Jguy101

Question About Linux And Goback

I'm considering setting up my PC for dual-boot, with Windows XP and MEPIS Linux. However, I have Norton GoBack, which boots up before Windows does.

What I'm wondering is, does anybody here know how this would work? I want to keep having GoBack boot at startup, so I can always recover my system if I get a Windows virus. But, I'm wondering if GRUB would boot before or after...if afterwards, it's be fine. But if it decided to boot beforehand....I may not be able to get GRUB to boot...and may even end up having a useless PC. >_<

So....anybody know much about this?

I think you'd best install Windows first, then Linux so GRUB becomes the boot manager by default. Finally, install GoBack, so that the GB bootup manager is the very first thing on your MBR.I'm just surmising all of this. But I'd love to hear the results as and when you decide to try it jguy!

Actually....What I'm doing is a little different, but gives similar results. Now, I don't know for sure, because I don't dual-boot, but I would assume that GRUB wants to be first to boot, seeing as it is a bootloader. I'm not familiar with GoBack at all though...one possibility is that GoBack might run after GRUB only when you boot Windows. I myself would prefer this to goBack running before GRUB. A possibility though..is that if GRUB goes on your MBR, and you install GoBck, which I'm guessing goes on your MBR, it might overwrite GRUB. I'm not sure myself..But..here is what I do that yields a somewhat similar result:I'm running Debian Linux, and it takes up my whole drive, and I have GRUB written to my MBR. I run Windows 2000 in VMware within Debian. VMware has a feature that allows for "snapshots", which if something is going wrong with my Virtual Windows installation, I can load a snapshot for it to fall back on to return to a working state. (Surprisingly, Windows seems to run a lot better in a VM than natively...)Just my 2 cents.

norton dont seam to say on their site exactly how goback works. what you need to find out is if it has some kind of bootloader in the program, you say it starts before windows but what exactly do you mean.if you were to do the linux install and not install grub then you could try and use the windows bootloader becasue that would be after this norton program.also mepis linux looks a bit odd. id stick with one of the more famous distro, especially if this goback program becomes a problem.try searching the gentoo forums for this. im sure you will find something.

As things stand Norton GoBack does not support dual booting even windows partitions. The earlier version 3 when it was still Roxio GoBack did. Never has GoBack been able to support Linux partitions and linux boot loader like LILO or GRUB.

Link here

UPDATE:I just re-read the support article. Apparently, Norton GB 4.1 *does* support dual boot OS, but it should be installed separately on both Win OS.

The simple answer....Each Disk has only ONE Master boot Record (MBR) and then has one Boot sector for each partition.Normally, GRUB is installed to the MBR.Grub can then load linux, or chainload the windows boot loader on the windows partiton Boot Sector.SOOO....If you have 2 hard disks...Install Gub to the MBR of the one disk, And GoBackk to the MBR of the windows disk, then set the bios to boot the linux disk first.Grub can then load linux, or chainload GoBack from the other disks MRB, which can then Chainload Windows booter from the boot sector.If you have one disk...You will need to have GoBack on the MBR, and install grub to a partiton boot sector.then configure GoBack to boot windows. or chainload Grub from the partition Boot sector.I know all this talk of MBR's and Boot sectors sounds confusing, but its actually quite simple.I can provide all the help you need configureing and installing GRUB, but you will have to figure out GoBack by yourself.Basically, you just need to learn how to chainload in the correct order :huh: