xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darkool

Pentium 7.1 GHz Overclock

An Chinese Overclocker was able to transform Pentium 4.670 into a pentium 7.1 GHz. To Work at this frequence he was using a ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard and Corsair PC2-5400UL memorys. He was unable to star windows and a benchmark was made.

amasing :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

cheers m8

PS :When do Pentium will do something like that ? LOL 2035 ?

It looks like the guy is using bloody liquid nitrogen as a coolent man this guy is one serious dude but how would he do it I mean wont the thing crash after a certian speed? he would have had to manually configured the voltage on his mb to have done something this extreme right?

Why didn't he just buy a new part for the computer, instead of doing so much work to try to improve the speed?

He was unable to star windows and a benchmark was made.

Did you mean he was unable to start windows? Then where did that screenshot come from?
BTW, this guy's Japanese.

Why didn't he just buy a new part for the computer, instead of doing so much work to try to improve the speed?

Did you mean he was unable to start windows? Then where did that screenshot come from?

BTW, this guy's Japanese.

1064332578[/snapback]

sorry my mistake , i mean that he was ABLE to Start the Windows

That's so great ! But this's not a new news anyway, right? I've read it somewhere on the net lastweek. What do you think about overclocking guys. Is it good or bad for you. I think there's no reason for that. The CPU is fast enough for most of us, nowaday.

I guess he did it just to be doing it. That's pretty nifty though, considering I've never overclocked anything. Is it very hard to overclock your cpu? I heard ATI cards had a built-in overclock feature with their video cards. I thought that was kind of a neat feature. Is it just changing jumpers or something?

This is very interesting! Wow! 7.1GHz?? I never heard of this before although I have been interested in overclocking for some time. The bad thing about overclocking is it can really damage your computer (CPU & Motherboard mostly) because of the increased voltage that needs to be applied to the CPU & RAM, not to mention additional cooling needed due to increased heat generation.Some motherboards allow you to step up the CPU and RAM voltage to allow overclocking so it really depends on what board you have.

PS :When do Pentium will do something like that ? LOL 2035 ?

You only need a very nice cooling system. Big bucks.
I know a guy who uses water cooling system, it goes at least 2 or 3 times the regular speed of his Pentium 4, but he spends like 200 extra bucks per month, when he DOESN'T use so much his computer.

I guess he did it just to be doing it.  That's pretty nifty though, considering I've never overclocked anything.  Is it very hard to overclock your cpu?  I heard ATI cards had a built-in overclock feature with their video cards.  I thought that was kind of a neat feature.  Is it just changing jumpers or something?

1064332596[/snapback]

Haha no it;s not that hard as you might think before it was all in the jumpers well some of it still is but brands are making it easier and easier ATI automatic overclocking is still a pretty new feature Nvidea came out with it first in their firmware so ati made a come back by including it it their X series and cpu can now easily be changed by changing the multiplier in you bios settings although you wont be aloud to make much of a difference with an intel board and processor becically the board will check the recommended speed and if it notices that it's above or below that it'll thats not right and refuse to start or keep crashing it self untill it's changed to it's recommended multiplier

Won't do much for me seeing that I swear by the Intel board in my computer...But I can't say I've been having any problem running at normal speed, but I do understand the urge to push the envelope.But really, how easy is it to take a screenshot and modify it? This doesn't convince me.

I don't want to know what his liquid nitrogen bill is....It doesn't surprise me that you could boost a Pentium that fast. I remember seeing the first 1Ghz chips in 1997 when I worked for a small DOD research company. I think the average PC was around 100Mhz iirc. We get sales people into our company from Intel and AMD about every month or so trying to get us to switch from PowerPC Macs to anything based on their systems. Since we are in the video production business, Final Cut Pro is a staple...Lightwave rendering times on a PC vs. Mac doesn't pay enough to warrent us using more than the 4 PC's (including the 2 OSX on Intel boxes we have)...Anyway, the sales folks have hinted that they most Pentium IV chips could be clocked to 5 or 6 Ghz with proper cooling. 7.1 doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility either and that some of the stuff in the development labs can run at 10Ghz+ now. How much of that is true, and how much of it is sales BS....Our Front Office staff now either have iMacs, Emacs, or even Mac Mini's now. 1.25ghz G4 with 512MB is plenty to run Quickbooks and MS Office for their needs and should be for a few years to come. Now our video editors and animations gurus can always use the latest and fastest...anytime you can shave an hour off of rendering or more, that's an hour that a project is completed and we're on to the next project. But unless your an uber gamer or just want bragging rights, what's the point? My Dad still checks his Email on a 56k modem and an AMD k6-2 400 with 96MB of shared ram and Windows 98. Most of us would scoff at that, but it is good enough to check his email, stocks, and read up on the latest news. Processor speeds today are at least 4 years before mainstream applications become bloated enough to require a faster processor.

I can say definitely that MY Intel is unsafe to overclock. If it hardly is able to run at its rated 3 Ghz on an Intel 915 board without extreme cooling, how the hell am I supposed to overclock it?

to unimatrix above.yes, i agree, and i am glad that for the past years the old saying has gone "the more MHz, the better" :huh: