xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jguy101

Email Help

Well, with all the stuff about Google and privacy, I'm ditching my GMail account, and going with an account on my site. However, I want to use it with Thunderbird, and I've had problems with email adresses on sites I've been an administrator of before. So: what domains do I use for the ingoing and outgoing emails?

You just use mail.yourdomain.com for SMTP, IMAP, POP and everything else mail related. There's a tool which can automatically configure Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express for you. In your cPanel, look under Email Managment Tools, and go to Add/Remove Email Accounts.In the list, you should see your default email account (Your cPanel Username). Click the outlook button to the right of it, and you will have the links to download the Outlook Auto-configure tool. There are also the details for your mail server, as I mentioned above.Your email address will be yourcpanelusername@yourdomain.comIf you want to use a different name before the @ symbol, go to Aliases/Forwarding (again under Email Management Tools) and you can set up a forwarder to go to your defualt mail account.

Well, with all the stuff about Google and privacy, I'm ditching my GMail account, and going with an account on my site. However, I want to use it with Thunderbird, and I've had problems with email adresses on sites I've been an administrator of before. So: what domains do I use for the ingoing and outgoing emails?

1064332476[/snapback]

So, you need to config the mail client for GMail, right?

Incoming server : pop.gmail.com

Outgoing server : smtp.gmail.com

Username : yourname@gmail.com

Password : your gmail password

Notes:

You have to enable the SSL connection for both incoming and outgoing server. The port will be 995(pop) and 465(smtp)

No, he's ditching Gmail (why? It's fantastic!) and using his hosting account email address instead. He wanted the URLs for incoming and outgoing mail, so he could configue Thunderbird.Read the post properly!BTW, Jguy, you can acess your mail on the web too, if you go to Email Manament tools in your cPanel, and click Read Webmail. I recommend you use Horde, as it's better than SquirrelMail.