xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harkanwal

I Feel It Like A Bug In Windows XP, Do You? Bug in windows XP

Well guys try it down...make a folder named "Notepad" on the desktop in windows XP professional.now check out for source of any webpage you are visiting through "view source"guess what u get...its the folder named Notepad is opened instead of source code in a notepad window..try it out and tell me if anybody find why it is so...

I can't really prove it, but I think when you click view source Internet explorer searches the some certain windows folders for the thing named 'notepad' and opens up the first one it finds.And somehow it gives the desktop folder a higher priority than the c:\windows folder.Weird bug it is though...

Yeah, get firefox. IE su*ks. I tried to simulate that bug, but all It does on my configuration is nothing. When i click "view source" it does nothing, not opening notepad, not opening notepad folder. but still it's a bug, a stupid one I would say, but I think it's related to that "Start->Run" command in windows, because that is a way to start notepad, so if you have "Notepad" on your desktop, IE would run that folder instead of real notepad, because IE's process is runned under desktop... It's like when you have a folder under linux called fschk, and you have program under bins that's called fschk also. so you try to run it in shell, but instead, you get error, because of that folder... :huh:

Yeah, get firefox. IE su*ks. I tried to simulate that bug, but all It does on my configuration is nothing. When i click "view source" it does nothing, not opening notepad, not opening notepad folder. but still it's a bug, a stupid one I would say, but I think it's related to that "Start->Run" command in windows, because that is a way to start notepad, so if you have "Notepad" on your desktop, IE would run that folder instead of real notepad, because IE's process is runned under desktop... It's like when you have a folder under linux called fschk, and you have program under bins that's called fschk also. so you try to run it in shell, but instead, you get error, because of that folder... :huh:

1064332557[/snapback]

I would call this a bug, what I think happens if I recall correctly is that IE does not store the fullpath and name of the file you want to use. If it only stores notepad, it would rely on the name only ignoring extensions since the extension path would be used (in an order of preference too), I also believe you're running IE from the desktop, this would be the location that IE would be in when running it, so looking for notepad in it's current location first (on the desktop) would have higher priorty than using the path names, since it checks it's local place first, then if not found follows the path names through the order they were given looking for it.

What I'd like to know is, if you change the source code viewer's name to iexplorer would it run IE? Infact is that the case with any of it's choices, mail client, news reader etc.

I don't run windows, but that's the best explanation I can give about this.

Cheers,

MC

I don't get any error here. Everything's going fine. Harkanwal, you should reinstall the whole system whenever possible. That may also clears bugs and improve your system perfomance.PS : I'll tell my friend about that. Maybe they will try it.

actually it works on the standard XP as well but thats awesome though ahahaha, tried it on FF but i get the regular notepad. But I would have to go with IE programming error since your are operating the browser and its connected to the os meaning theirs a code in IE which links up to files on your system but how could you not differentiate from the .exe files and regular files? Also the Windows ME-XP has dynamic desktops which are used heavily for IE broswers.

but here are other files that i tried with it

winzip-got nothing

briefcase-got nothing

ms word-nothing

winrar=got nothing as well.

-----edited per user's request-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

He he.. Funny error. I could simulate it.What a stupid piece of code that must be which is running inside IE....Definitely a bug. What else could we call it?I use Firefox and Opera.... Opera in particular is one step ahead that all the other browsers... It had almost all the features of Firefox 2.0 more than two years back! :P IE browser really s*cks!

Can this bug be utilised for some type of malicious use. I am not really sure, but think about running this automatically while opening the source file in INTERNET explorer will open another file.Very poor.I find it very funny that this bug is not fixed even after many years of release.I don't have INTERNET explorer v7 so I haven't checked with that.Does this bug present in INTERNET explorer 7 too?

I have Internet Explorer 7 installed and did as said in the first post, but with IE7 it opened Notepad and showed the source of my viewed website.. But IE7 is so slow on web pages with a little more code, such as last.fm/user/.../ about 4 times slower than on IE6, never noticed that before..