xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prodigy-designs

Which Processor Is Better?

I dont know very much about the hardware side when it comes to computers, and I am looking to buy a new processor and mobo to upgrade from my current system. I have been looking on newegg and I have narrowed my search down to two differnt processors. They are both AMD 64 bit processors and one runs at 2.2 GHz with a 1GHz FSB and the other one runs at 2.4 GHz with a FSB of 800 Mhz. I want to know which one is better. It would be great if you could maybe try and explain to me what the difference would be. Thanks! Also, I see that some people recomend buying a thermal compound to lower the temperature of the processor and I don't know if it is worth buying some or not.

I dont know a huge amount about this topic, but I'll give my opinion anyways :) I'd say the 2.2 with 1GHZ fsb would probably have a bit of a performance boost above the other chip. a 200mhz increase in clock speed for the 2.4ghz processor isn't very much of an increase especially at those speeds, howevere an 800m->1g boost for the fsb is a 20% increase. While you obviously wont see a 20% boost in performance, I would assume that would allow the processor to work more efficiently with the power it has, rather then the 2.4ghz processor having a bit more power but not getting to take advantage of it as much.So in closing, my opinion is that the 2.2ghz 1ghz fsb proc would be slightly superior... but I'm sure some hadrware buffs will show up soon to agree or disagree with this sentiment.

the one major question I would have before jumping on the band wagon on this one is this...is one the new X2 processor while the other is the standard 64 bit?If the lower megahertz one is the X2 it will still out perform the 1000 Mhz one do to the fact that the X2 stands for "dual core"

The best way to determine is to actually see some benchmarks for a certain application (game,3dmark,application mark) on TomsHardwareGuide or ExtremeTech.com. To say that a certain aspect of processor design would outperform some other processor design would be insufficent. The interaction between hardware and software..OS and all the bundeled up things (including RAM , HDD ) make a crazy combination and no one can accuretly predict which one would be better. Any one who does so ...is SELLING it.

I dont know very much about the hardware side when it comes to computers, and I am looking to buy a new processor and mobo to upgrade from my current system.  I have been looking on newegg and I have narrowed my search down to two differnt processors.  They are both AMD 64 bit processors and one runs at 2.2 GHz with a 1GHz FSB and the other one runs at 2.4 GHz with a FSB of 800 Mhz.  I want to know which one is better.  It would be great if you could maybe try and explain to me what the difference would be.  Thanks!  Also, I see that some people recomend buying a thermal compound to lower the temperature of the processor and I don't know if it is worth buying some or not.

1064332190[/snapback]

Take the AMD 64 bit processors 2.2 GHz with a 1GHz FSB. They're better. I know that it will have a better performance than the other one.