xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Project Antilost: Started Again

Hi folks,

????[/tab]Shaking off all lethargy, we've finally decided to start Project Antilost for once and all again - and this time we intend to take it to the final stages of completion, whatever it might take.

For those who're new to this concept, I'll quote one of my old posts when we started working on this project last May (2005). Lack of time and work-pressure caused us to veer off from our objective - but we're back again and this time we plan to make it a giant success.

This is the first concrete step to be taken towards development of AntiLost - our dream. I've noticed a whole lot of confusion on Xisto regarding the purpose of this site and its exact nature. Here I'm going to make the first ever public announcement regarding whole issue. But first things first: My heartfelt and sincerest thanks and regards to OpaQue - our beloved Admin from Xisto and Xisto - without whom, this wouldn't have been possible. OpaQue donated the domain AntiLost.Com to this cause and triggered off the movement. Now, it is upon us to work together and make it a giant success.

AntiLost

????The whole point of trying to launch an OpenSource Collaborative Software Development Site was to create something on the likes of Sourceforge.Net, where a well-coordinated team of contributors from all around the globe strives to create new software products or enhancements to existing opensource ones. I've had this idea on mind for a long time, but wasn't being motivated enough to get started on this project. But now, it's a REALITY. :) More so, because recently I've noticed that there has been a huge influx of very well-trained programmers at Xisto - without who's support I wouldn't have dared to embark upon this venture. It's humanly impossible to organize and run something of such a huge scope all alone. My thanks to all of them for their active support to get me started in the first place.

What exactly will this site develop?

????Anything. Which means, we'll deal with any kind of software that our members want to actively take part in and develop as a team effort. Not only will this help in solving the endless jumble of code far quicker - but contributions from a solid global knowledge bank will make such software stand way out against its commercial competitors in respect of features & operability besides being provided FREE OF COST to anyone who wishes to download and use them. At the beginning - this is going to be primarily IN HOUSE, i.e. we won't be open for project hosting till we've run into a decent degree of success. Till then, we will concentrate our efforts on developing systems to either enhance our own boards at Xisto and Xisto AND host new projects for existing members of these boards ONLY.

What kind of Software Licensing Policy shall we employ?

????Since our ulterior motive is to run a site that houses OpenSource Projects, our licensing policies for each software developed and housed at this site will involve GNU GPL, OpenSource Copyleft etc. - all the free opensource licensing policies that will protect our software from being ripped off and commercialized. This means, any general user will have full access to our source codes as well. More on this later.

What needs to be setup at this site primarily?

????To run the kind of operation we intend to, we will need (apart from this board):

An opensource project manager software - that will enable us to track the progress of any under-development project, uniformly distribute workload, assign specific tasks to members, set immediate project goals etc. I've a few suggestions on mind. One is an almost completed stable production release of an opensource project manager named DotProject (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and another one is a partially designed one still in it's teething stages named SZProjectManager (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) - both written in PHP.

Other than that, we will also need some sort of a web-based interface for CVS (Code Versioning System) that will enable us to compare differences between the different code/module versions, effectively track changes etc.

Yet, a third feature that we will need to incorporate is a web-driven interface to some popular C++/Java compilers, wherein project members will be able to compile and check the output of short pieces code. This will be done in view of the fact that a lot of members whon't have access to a decent compiler at work-place or schools, where they might want to see the output of some sudden bright spark they had ;)

How can I contribute to this site?

????You can primarily contribute in the coding challenges that we're soon to take up - domains would include C/C++, Java, PHP etc. And if you don't consider yourself to be much of a coder, you're more than welcome to take part in the continual development/improvement of the site itself or even in the interface improvements of our various projects. If nothing else, you can chip in a little out of your valuable time helping us write project documentations. All are equally welcome - doesn't really matter where your skills lie. You can always contribute to some aspect or the other.

Best Regards & Best Wishes,

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

????So here we are seeking help open-handedly, from all of you who can spare a few minutes everyday in participating and helping us transform this dream into a massive reality ;)

[tab]Whatever walk of life you come from - whether you're a coder or a graphic artist, a web-designer or simply none of those - you can still help us go a long way by simply taking out 5 minutes of your valuable time everyday and taking part in discussions & development of this project. Everyone's welcome..

So do drop by at Antilost.Org. Hope you'll have an enjoyable journey with us.

Best Regards,

miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

As I said then, I will say the same now.I am not much of a coder, though I learned some PHP. My main focus right now I ActionScript2.0, XML (Flash as well :)) and graphics. My CSS knowledge is pretty much ok, though with CSS2 and 3 I need to brush it up again, but even the best of us use google every now and then. I think my best shot at contributing would be a user manual, the graphical interface and that's about it. Sorry M^e, I am just not that great at coding (YET- which is the imperative word here.) Also, I seem to seriously lack time to be here and be very present, so I don't know how that will work out. I have a few things on my plate waiting for me to finish them (eg. school LOL)

I'm definetly not much of a coder, but if I can be of any assistance I would love to help out. I might be able to help out with documentation - i.e. user manuals, production documentation, or even website management if you would like my help...I'll go register at the site and hope to be of help.

Lmao Dooga. So it was you who started the downfall ;)I for one think that it is great that AntiLost is once again on the road to success, I just hope m^e doesn't take another research trip :) .

Thanks to all of you for your active interest in this. I'm really glad to see so much of enthusiasm about this. On the other hand, I'd definitely like to see some more participation from other members of this site - we've plenty of really talented people here and it'd be a pleasure working with all of you.As I said once earlier - coders, non-coders, graphics artists, ardent gamers - ALL ARE WELCOME :) This is a collaborative project and any ideas you care to share with us can be beneficial for it. So don't shy away - join Project Antilost instead and be a part of this great movement ;)

I joined a few days ago too, but I was just wondering: would it be possible to make an opensource game section in the forum? I would realy appreciate that and so would be lots of other people. It's just a suggestion, say it if you like it, I would love to help you with it then.-=jeroen=-

Woah. I'm am super exitied about this!I'm going to join right now and start posting. I'm still a new coder but I'm pretty good at CSS and good at HTML a nd well it kind of stops there. Well no I have a little Python and Java but I'll try my best no matter what it takes. This will be awesome!

Well its late here, and i'm real tired, but i'm interested in this too. As many of the previous posters in this thread, i'm not much of an application programmer, but I can code a website pretty good. I also have pretty impeccible grammar... at least better than most. I'm always correcting my friends, then look like a hypocrite when i make a mistake. (ha, i just had to google for hypocrite)Anywho, i'll get myself signed up at the anitlost forums and hopefully tomorrow i'll be able to request hosting on this site. I'm looking forward to being active on both sites.

non-coders UNITE lets show that we are capable of contributing to a research program in ways that make us indespensable....lol. Comeone people lets get antilost off the ground an productive...I'm itching to do something away from my gaming and real-world job....lol

Hey m^e, I want to be a junior coder before I graduate from school. If we have some spare time, maybe I can come over to your place and learn computer languages from you. Or maybe you can just teach me something... like hardware stuff, assembling computers, etc.Anyway, I think this will need a VERY LARGE AMOUNT of work-force and time-dedication to pull this off. I mean, I know that you guys are not aiming to be as big as SourceForge.net, but something similar, right? Well, do not worry because I believe that AntiLost.org has potential to become a successful open source website.But, I want to at least get some training so that I can help better. I am not that great with Photoshopping nor coding (I just know basic HTML stuff). If you can recommend me what to learn or at least WHERE I can self-teach myself, then that will be great.Send me a PM, e-mail, doesn't matter. I will be glad to help! :huh: