xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

How I Can Connect To Server

I don't think you're allowed to run own java code on the Xisto servers, specially a chat server.

However, you can run your own hosted Java Applets as well as JSP Pages with Tomcat.

One alternative would be to use an IRC applet such as PJIRC and use one of the existing IRC networks to host your chatroom. An example can be found at: http://forums.xisto.com/misc/irc/

It's not allowed that as M^E said. You can't connect to your hosting account via Telnet. But, before few months I have sucessfuly telneted to my account, and logged in, system gave me a shell, and I could work on it... Strange? :)

It's not allowed that as M^E said. You can't connect to your hosting account via Telnet. But, before few months I have sucessfuly telneted to my account, and logged in, system gave me a shell, and I could work on it... Strange? :)

1064331793[/snapback]

Not really - you can use a SSH client to connect to your account (not Telnet - SSH, the more secure version of telnet) .. That is perfectly allowed - only that it's not enabled by default. If you request for it in the misc. request forum, you can get it for no additional cost. If it has stopped working for you, you can place a request again.

Now, when it comes to Chat Rooms - unless they're the Shoutbox kind, I'm sorry to say, it can't be permitted.. There are quite a few varieties of chatroom software out there - some like the shoutbox are slow and use MySQL to store the messages.. these are all right, as they consume very little server resource..

On the other hand, there are proper chat servers, which if installed will eat away a good part of the asta bandwidth and cpu power. These are not PERMITTED.

If you're trying to install the shoutbox kind of chat room - you SHOULDN'T need shell access. It can be uploaded along with your web-page.. As for the second type, as I said, you're not permitted to install..

You mentioned in your first post you've to run:

java -jar -server bribble-1.5.34.jar to start your chat room.. This sounds very suspicious to me... as for the shoutbox kind of rooms, you don't need to run any java code directly through the interpreter.. This will most likely start some service and open up ports for users to connect.

Ya I checked on your chat engine - it's called Bribble (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) - it's actually got a separate server that runs on a webserver and opens a specified port for users to connect with a chatbox client.

This kind of chat room is certainly not allowed here. You should look for some other alternative... I'd seriously suggest that you try PJIRC and host your chat room on some IRC Server.