xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

I Need Some Serious Help With Picking A Laptop...

Alright, so I've finally come to the conclusion that I want to spend some cash on a notebook computer. It is not going to be a desktop replacement by any means, I just want something portable to take to class, do some coding on, surf the web, the basics. It'll be nice not being tied to my desk when I feel like doing some coding or whatnot... the living room shall become my homework haven... Anyways I have been looking around for one to buy and comming up a bit short. Lots of choices and I don't know for sure what would be the best choice. The only real guidelines I have is that it should be around $1000 Canadian, have one of the better processor types (no celeron for moi), at least 512mb ram, and at least a 60gb hd. Screen size isn't important really and the lighter/smaller the better.What I need from you guys is any of the following:Suggestions for laptops that hit these criteria or betterOpinions on the budget Compaq notebooksOpinions on the Dell Inspiron 6000 line of notebooksOpinions on the Toshiba Satellite line of notebooks (the $1000 range ones obviously)Opinions on Acer notebooksI've found lots of compaq and acer ones that 'look' like they'd be great, but I've heard bad things about them in the past so am unsure about their recent hardware. The Dell Inspiron 6000 looks to also be a great deal but other dell's I've used or seen seem bulky and put off alot of heat. Then the toshiba ones look amazing and I've onyl heard good things but they're hard to find in my price range without taking a heavy hardware hit.So basically any and all comments will be greatly appreciated. Comments on which mobile processor to go for, models of laptops you've used or own that fit my criteria, any general suggestions or comments, anything to help me make up my mind. Too many possibilities are ruining my ability to make a quick choice haha. So yes, thanks in advance to anyone who gives me some info to work with :)

I bought this Compaq Presario in August and haven't had any problems with it ... works perfectly for Web browsing, basic Web page design, gaming (mostly older titles), word processing, music (iTunes), etc. It's a pretty good notebook for the $800 price tag (before mail-in rebates). I would suggest taking a closer look at the Presario line.Or, you can always go to Dell. We have a Dimension desktop at home - have had it for about three years now - still love the thing. I know that's not the same thing as the Dell laptops, but I figure that if they can get a desktop right (and do it affordably), they probably have at least a clue about laptops as well.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I've really been watching the presario's, they're looking like a strong contender. I really dont need alot of power in the notebook, ram and hard drive size are some of the big factors. As long as the lappy is snappy responsive for normal tasks that would likely be enough for me, especially once I get linux on it.Anyone else have opinions?

I wont recomend Dell i think they are much overpriced... About the other computers i think Acer is great, realtive small prices and good qulative... One last think , wont recommend a 12 inch display... it's way to small for normal use i think

^^ I don't agree. I RECOMMEND Dell because it's the best laptop I've had. I had Sony, IBM and Dell. Sony is the worst from the three. IBM is very good but Dell is the best. Trust me, buy a Dell laptop! :)

I agree with Yacoob dell does a lot of things to cut back on costs and it seems to be working to me you get a resonable amount for what you pay for, Dell also has good costomer support it's user friends, thier site offers maximum customization and good batt, apart from that my bro has a toshiba sat, man the speakers on that thing is the bomb, serious he turns them full blast no distort and is LOUD for laptop speakers also the sat, has a nice panel in the front so you can close the screen and still control your music (I dont know about you but I love music so...) I really wouldn't go near a compaq (I just dont like them but thats my opinon) and Acer unless your looking at expensive stuff

I agree with Yacoob dell does a lot of things to cut back on costs and it seems to be working to me you get a resonable amount for what you pay for, Dell also has good costomer support it's user friends, thier site offers maximum customization and good batt, apart from that my bro has a toshiba sat, man the speakers on that thing is the bomb, serious he turns them full blast no distort and is LOUD for laptop speakers also the sat, has a nice panel in the front so you can close the screen and still control your music (I dont know about you but I love music so...) I really wouldn't go near a compaq (I just dont like them but thats my opinon) and Acer unless your looking at expensive stuff

1064331692[/snapback]

For once James agrees with me! And Jeigh, here's a good Dell Laptop you can consider: :)

Dell Business Notebook

Product/Service Name

Dell Inspiron 6000

Function/Applications

The InspironTM 6000 has something for everyone.

It incorporates IntelÂŽ, CentrinoÂŽ, Mobile Technology and optional Genuine WindowsÂŽ XP Professional to provide wireless connectivity anywhere.

Wireless access is available with improved battery performance versus its predecessor.

The new InspironTM 6000 has stunning 15.4" widescreen displays, 30% more information than a standard 15" screen; ideal for viewing multiple documents at the same time and working with large spreadsheets or toggling between photo editing applications.

Differentiating Features

Inspiron⢠6000 IntelŽ PentiumŽ M Processor at 750 Genuine WindowsŽ XP Home Edition (English).

1Yr Limited Warranty with Next Business Day Onsite Service.

512MB (2 X 256MB) DDR2 SDRAM 100GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive Internal 24X Max DVD/CD-RW Combination Drive 15.4" Ultrasharp⢠Wide Screen XGA TFT Display resolution: 1280x800.

Source: Dell.com

If you look at all the specifications, you can see that it's a great Laptop to have!

Yacoob

I agree with Yacoob about the Dell Inspiron 6000. It's a dream to have that! :)

Here is a review of it:

You can see more on the Dell Inspiron 6000's wide screen than on most other 15.4-inch displays thanks to its WUXGA resolution of 1920 by 1200 pixels. In fact, you can work with higher-resolution photographs, more spreadsheet columns, and more tiled documents simultaneously on the Inspiron 6000 than you can on some 17-inch wide screens. (The Inspiron 6000 is also available with a 1280-by-800-pixel WXGA screen or a 1680-by-1050-pixel WSXGA+ screen for $150 less or $50 less, respectively.)

This 6000 has a lot more going for it than just its extra-high-resolution screen. We didn't test the 6000's standard six-cell battery; but we did test the nine-cell battery (a $99 option), and it lasted an impressive 5 hours and 7 minutes on one charge, making the 6000 an excellent candidate for the road--if you don't mind its 7.5-pound weight (sans power adapter). An extra-fancy external power gauge helps you keep track of when you'll need to recharge.

The Inspiron 6000 is a smoothly designed, handsome laptop with a sloped front and cream-colored trim. Our unit had a multiformat DVD burner, plus FireWire and TV-out ports and four USB 2.0 ports, all placed for easy use. The 6000 accepts user upgrades easily. Like many laptops, it has two memory slots located in a compartment on the bottom of the laptop. But instead of residing in dovetailed slots, the modules lie side by side--an unusual arrangement that makes them more accessible than most. The hard drive is a breeze to remove, too: Just unscrew its bottom panel and tug the drive out through the right side of the case. Though the optical drive doesn't have a lever for popping it out, you can boost it out by its lower edge after removing a security screw on the bottom of the case.

The 6000 disappointed us in only a few areas. We missed having an external switch for controlling Wi-Fi scanning (you have to use a software utility instead). And the 6000's memory card reader accepts only Secure Digital cards for exchanging data with PDAs, cameras, and other digital equipment, leaving Memory Sticks, CompactFlash cards, and other media incompatible.

Our biggest reservation, however, relates to the Inspiron's keyboard. The layout is typical of a Dell portable--well designed and roomy--except that <Delete> is buried in a cluster of <Fn>-size keys. Two big, easy-to-press mouse buttons complement the touchpad. But the keys on our test unit were so stiff initially that we had to type forcefully. As we continued to type, the keyboard seemed to limber up, and we made fewer mistakes. But we still felt that we had to type more carefully than usual, not a good omen for a long-term relationship with a keyboard. If possible, try out the keyboard before buying.

You'll like the 6000's panel of dedicated CD controls and its surprisingly good stereo sound. (Only one other model in our roundup, the Fujitsu LifeBook N6010, offered better audio.) There's no instant-on button for playing discs without using Windows, but you can play CDs while the lid is closed, because the music buttons and speaker outlets remain exposed. Pressing one of the buttons momentarily lights the entire music panel's bright blue LEDs, a helpful feature in dark environments.

The 2-GHz Pentium M 760-equipped review unit did well in our speed tests, earning a WorldBench 5 score of 89, about 8 percent above the average for systems equipped with the same processor.

An Acrobat manual on the hard drive covers the 6000 thoroughly, right down to coverage of how to install new screen hinges and a new keyboard.

Upshot: With its extra-high-resolution screen and terrific built-in speakers, the Inspiron 6000 would be ideal for getting work done or watching movies.

Source: PCWorld.com

Now I don't know any other laptop that can compare to this! This is the best! ;)

Yea the 6000 was actually the Dell I was planning to get if I get a Dell. My only worry about it is it seems kinda heavy/bulky size compared to the others I've been looking at. My main reason for getting a laptop is to be mobile with it... I know I can't get an ultra thin and light one since I'm working on a budget but I might go with a slimmer and lighter model if I get the chance. But don't worry youre opinions are noted and Dell is a strong contender in my mind :)