xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shooting Star Haven

Ipods Are Overrated seriously, they are

In today's music industry, the iPod is the most popular MP3 player. They cost around $200. But the only reason people would shell out that much cash for them is because of the name. People want to join the crowd. They care about having what is "in."And if you don't believe me, just look at the iPod Shuffle. You can't even choose your song with it. And it doesn't even store as many songs as a generic MP3 player you can get with $40.So my point is, if you don't have the funds to buy an iPod, you can settle for any other MP3 player. There's probably no difference between them except the name.

I completely agree with you. Many of my friends have Ipods, but I feel no need for one. I have a $70CDN mp3 player that holds about 110 songs. I feel no need to go buy an MP3 player that can store as much information as the hard drive I have. It's completely in the name, it's a trend. Just like people will buy the latest clothes that are in, or listen only to the top 40 music charts.

Well, I believe iPod is a overrated, even though I own one.Mine is an iPod Mini, it holds 4Gb and it is more than enough. I believe big 20Gb iPod and iPod photo are really overrated, but iPod mini is just perfect, it has good amount of memory and its design rocks :), small and light, also holds some cool games and is pleasing to the eye as well as to the ears.Now, generic players in general do not have much memory, most i've seen is 512Mb. Another MP3 player is the Creative ZEN, which costs around as much as iPod Mini but is a little bit bigger and has 5Gb of storage.In conclusion: thumbs up to iPod Mini - - thumbs donw on all other iPodsAnother thing: I love the clickwheel thingy ;)

Overrated? Personally, I don't think so. It looks nice, and works pretty darn well. Although, it's supposed to be really easy to smudge the shiny backs...

But is it overpriced? Definitely. I mean, $199 for a two-gigabyte iPod Nano? Geez...for that same price, you can get a six-gigabyte Zen Micro from Creative Labs.

Well,I say they do because they don't hold that many songs nor are they are any big so why should people have to pay 200 cash for the ipod.The company needs the money to support the system used to make the ipods hold the mp3s as the mp3s themselves take up alot of space,even on a computer. I just like the fact that you cxan choose from more than just white colored I pods because its just too dull with a white and black ipod.There like a bunch of colors to choose from though. Whats up with the little mp3 player creatures.I forgot what they call it on the comercial but anyways,it sounds like a bigger version of the Ipod except that they take up more space than ipods do. All in all,the Ipod is good but they should improve it some more.

The good things about the iPod:– it has a good reputation, you know, you'll buy it and be happy with it.– it looks good. cmon most mp3players are big grey metal-things– it boosts your social status. probably the biggest reason for all the losers out there..– they are and are in some ways still innovative.the bad things:– the style boosts the price– they break too sometimes– everyone thinks you are one of the social losersI have an iPod shuffle (it was a gift, so why should I say no, better than the cd-player and the giant headphones I used before) and I am actually happy with it. It works, it is small and the sound is good. But it broke 4 times already. But I got it back on warranty always.Facit: You buy an iPod because wanta) to be a cool guy:) not to worry if it is good quality etc. (problem with no-reputation things)c) the design so hard.

I bough a £50 stick mp3 player.. it broke after 6 months, one of the push buttons wore out (it was stick on maximum volume)the shop had soped selling that mp3 player, so replaced it with a differant one of the same price, 6 months later, that stopped working. it doesnt even turn on, and as before linux kernel saw the device as a "USB *bottom* storeage device" it now sees it as a "IRQ ERROR, Usb device refuces to accept IRQ-7,8,9,10 etc etcv address"So although i agree the ipdo is a little Over the top....i've learned that brand names can be important for quality.ALSO, Ths ipod integration with programs like Amarok is very cool, woo Linux.I actually prefere Amarok to iTunes.

linux kernel saw the device as a "USB *bottom* storeage device"

ROFLMAO :) .... I wonder how much '*bottom*' it can store ;).

Ipods Are Overrated

You know what... you are SO right! iPods, in my view, are a ridiculous waste of metal (or whatever they're made of) and money. And, it seems to me rather strange that Apple can keep coming up with new versions, oh, just every other month! If you ask me, it looks like a marketing point to get people to continuously spend money just so they have to spend money again to get the newer version. And, they're apparently addicting, so it works.

But all that says is that there are consumers gullible enough to drop money on machines so small, you could swallow them.

Hehe... you know someone's got to have tried it...

I agree with this, they are completely overrated and under powered.

When I got an mp3 player I bought a neuros 20gb. Even though it was bigger in physical size, it was better. It had a built-in FM broacaster so I could listen to it through the car stereo without a tape adapter, it had a FM tuner that you could record off of and it had a on-board mic to bootleg your favorite shows, as well as a line-in to record off of. Plus it played MP3, WMA, as well as OGG! How many mp3 players cover OGG? Certainly not the precious iPod!

Now to get the FM brocast to stereo or record from mic with an iPod, you had to buy overpriced attachments and that was on top of the rediculous 300 price tag (for 20gb at the time, I think it's lower now).

How much did I pay for the neuros? 200. Clearly, you waste a lot of money on a over-priced, under-powered status symbol when you buy an iPod.

Oh, don't forget that regular use and recharging of your iPod caused the battery to wear out in a year to year-and-a-half. If you called apple, they wanted you to pay a price to have it replaced that was near the price of a new iPod! Not that my neuros didn't have the same battery-wearing-out issue (it's un-escapable with these devices) but how much did they want to replace it? 9 dollars. Apple are real rip-off pros.

So yeah I agree, and BTW if you want a neuros they are actually selling the 80 gig models for 200 now because they're closing the mp3 player division in favor of another product. You can buy one of their closeouts at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I bought a Zire 31 with a 512meg SD Disk, and I just use that for playing mp3's. Not only did it cost a lot less than an Ipod, it can do stuff! Why spend all that money for just an mp3 player? I guess it depends on how much you use it....

Not only that, it came with a 128meg cheap-o mp3 player! :)

I don't need a ton of space for mp3's, if it can hold a CD at a decent quality, I don't need all those gigs of space.

I think IPods are a waste of time, no offence to all those IPods owners out there.The newest IPod comes with 60gigs? Come on, who's really going to go through 60 gigs of music or videos in a day anyways? Unless you spend like half your week travelling and a portable media player is absolutly necessary for entertainment purposes, I just don't think an average person can use that kind of capacity.The other thing that I don't like about IPods are the batteries.Its built in and after so many charge cycles, the battery loses effectiveness and although there are third-party battery replacements, it isn't good as the original. (Plus changing the thing is a pain)Last of all, everyone has one - just another one of those trend things that I can never get used to. Don't get me wrong, I love gadgets and techy stuff, but the IPod isn't one of them. Seems to me 6 out of 10 people have one just cause it's the "IN" thing to have.

iPods are seriously a joke! I agree. Everyone you see has one, and I just don't get it. For the size of a player, I think you totally get ripped off, its all for the name! I own a sony vaio which has a 40gig hdd, with color screen. I personally think I would perfer this over ANY iPod. I mean soon they will have iPods that are phones! and not just phones with iTunes either...

iPods are seriously a joke! I agree. Everyone you see has one, and I just don't get it. For the size of a player, I think you totally get ripped off, its all for the name! I own a sony vaio which has a 40gig hdd, with color screen. I personally think I would perfer this over ANY iPod. I mean soon they will have iPods that are phones! and not just phones with iTunes either...

i totally agree with that. Think that Apple has great advertising service and naive(ok most of them are) people buy everything what they see on tv or somewhere else. if i speak for me, i had never listened music for 40GB, so i don't know why i should buy iPod.