xisto Community
jedipi

I Just Got A Email From FBI

I have been getting spam emails with Zip

attachments containing .exe files all day.

It's getting ridiculous.

The first email said it was the FBI and

my IP was logged on illegal web sites (which might be true...)

but then directed me to open the zip file to see the list...

I can't believe people still fall for this crap.

Those who use winblows should delete this kind of email after you received.

I have been getting spam emails with Zip attachments containing .exe files all day. It's getting ridiculous. The first email said it was the FBI and my IP was logged on illegal web sites (which might be true...) but then directed me to open the zip file to see the list...

I can't believe people still fall for this crap.

I opened one in TextEdit just to see what was inside... just a bunch of gobbledygook.

Sure glad I don't use winblows right now.

-----Merged with above-----szupie

Sorry...worry quotation....

here is the correct one

Dear Sir/Madam,

we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.

Important:

Please answer our questions!

The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,

Steven Allison

*** Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-

*** 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 3220

*** Washington, DC 20535

*** phone: (202) 324-3000

Yeah, my dad and friend got those emails too. At first, my dad thought they were caused by cookies or spyware that got on the computer from my sister using Hotmail and Yahoo! Mail. But then, we found out they were viruses...luckily, his old Dell paperweight didn't get infected.

Well, there's no way that they could have done any damage to my friend's computer. .Exe's don't fare to well on PowerBooks, do they? :)

I have been getting spam emails with Zip           

attachments containing .exe files all day.           

It's getting ridiculous.   

The first email said it was the FBI and   

1064331043[/snapback]

Hummm.. I got the very same mail on four different occasions during the course of yesterday myself. A friend of mine called me up long distance to find out what the FBI wanted with her too, so I told her to just send it to thrash.

What I find quite amazing though is that this bit of spam managed to hit so many e-mail addressess so very quickly. And, I've scanned my computer for malacious code and adware since and come up zilch. Makes me wonder if I've got some sort of key logging software on my computer or maybe my browser history is being accessed and the e-mail is being sent to me by my own system. Now that's a thought.. :)

really if the FBI wanted to contact you they would storm the house with guns pointed at you and have the road block off in a 10 square mile radius, only a idiot would think wow they FBI found me better open it, really the hacker sending these has to be even more stupid, fbi sending email to people.

well, those emails are really funny to me, I remember a lot years ago when i just got into the internet, i got an email from some guy from africa, that he has got an bank account and he wants to share it with me blah blah, well I think many of whom got those, i was reading it with interest then, but after my brother said that it was spam, i laughed out of myself.. :)

yeah the infamous africa spam email, their was so many variations to it, you kind of feel sorry for the guy trying to get your credit card and bank info.

those 'africa spam's have tricked a surprizing amount of people. there is a whole criminal industry in one african country. Which has produced so much money there are gangsters livving in mansions, and having young l33ts working away at night in internet cafes for a split on the profit.i remember years ago when the internet was really new and no-one had even heard of spam we got one of those, and my dad printed it off and almost took it seriously, not through stupidity but inexperience of the internet. shame spam isnt are rare as that today.

Ok, just a few questions!

1) Does the email come from a @fbi.gov email address? I never met an agent, but I am sure they have emails ending in @fbi.gov or maybe .mil or some other TLD restricted to just the government. If it comes from "fbi@yahoo.com", there is something wrong there! duh!

2) Are people really that stupid to run attachments from someone they don't know?? You hear everywhere, and I educate people, NOT to open ANY attachment from someone you don't know, just trash it, or run a virus scan as the last time I checked, a program once downloaded cannot execute itself without a command.

Also, there are several things wrong with the email. The whole English is too basic for government. I'm sure they've all made it out of second grade! Second, this is the Government and they don't send emails... if you really were on 30 illegal sites, the FBI would be at your front door, not your inbox!

[N]F

here I've gotten those same emails, from the CIA purportedly instead. THey are pretty good for catching the average computer dummy, because they spoof a government address as the sender. but if you look in message properties, it gives you the actual domain and email it was sent from, which has nothing to do with the CIA or FBI. I've actually had to rush over to co-workers computers and stop them from installing the worm that comes along with it, they got all freaked and thot it was actually the government. message body said something like, "your IP has been logged downloading illegal stuff from 30 sites, please fill in the attached form."total B$, but it's amazing how many people will swallow it hook, line, sinker.

I am living in Austria - a German speaking country - and I have gotten similar emails with reference to the BKA in Germany, which is an institution similar to the FBI in the States. An Austrian citizen in Austria getting an email from a foreign governmental body? Did a NS lookup. It came from a ADSL customer deep in the Austrian province.Conclusion (as has been stated before in this thread): This is a worm. Don't worry about it. Just don't open the attachment.Yes, this is not even a nice try, this is just stupid.

The Internet has a term for this. It's called Social Engineering. Basically, they send you some kind of email like this and they try to leech some information about you, like your password and such. Some hackers use this wily method to get people's passwords. Telemarketers do so too. I believe the guy who went down in history for this is Kevin Mitnick. I did a report on him for school once. Mitnick managed to even hack Pac Bell using his skills in this field. He's in jail, I think. When Mitnick gets out, he's going to publish his book called The Art of Deceiving.Social Engineering is partly based on trust. It is the natural human mindset to trust people at times. But yeah, if something like this worked on Pac Bell, this probably would work on others.

I got one also. Straight in the trash it went. I don't open much of my mail, I belong to too many game and other sites that send me lots of spam. Always tell friends and co-workers make sure I know its you, don't use your friends e-mail address or I will just trash it. I use a code word in the subject line with close friends and family.Lynna

It's sad though how these people are just trying all sorts of ways to get us to open those emails with files they send. I found my very old account and when I looked in it I saw about 100 emails saying stuff like that. Also, there were many stories out of random from so muich people, and messed up words at the bottom of their message. This is quite redundant and easily avoided by people who know what it is. For those who are computer illiterate, they might open it and boom, you're gone. Same thing goes for AOL IM, don't click on pictures that end with .com please :)

People who got infected, READ THIS !

The virus you are talking about is the W32.Sober worm. Probably the W32.Sober.X version. It is a mass-mailing worm that an own SMTP to spread itself. Also it will cause you security settings to lower so it won't be detected. It's send as an attachment on an email that's written in English or German. The latest version is send with a mail that seems to come from the FBI and ask you to answer the question list attached to it.

This worm isn't realy dangerous for your computer except for the fact that it can cause bad performance because it's mass-mailing itself but it will search your computer for email addresses to send itself to and you don't want everybody to know who you're emailing with are you ?

If you computer DOES get infected for some reason it's not very hard to remove it. Just download the removal tool of Symantec and your done with this stupid little ****er.

Symantec removal tool:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/