xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Opengl Or Direct-X?

Which do you prefer? OpenGL or DirectX?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for OpenGL as it is a open standard.It can be used in any platform.and I am learning OpenGL..:)

ok having your own 3d engine as an option is acceptable..u caouls hev said 3rd party library...but none of the above or text based shound have been an option...if some one says text based , or none ...guess what he is saying...he doent need 3d ..or to vote...sorry had to say this...another thing. DirectX is also an Industry Standard..its properiety but still industry standard (the fact that there are like zillion jobs for DirectX programmers)

I voted OpenGL alot of the old PC games use this, games that I grew up with. But it has its limits.In the other hand alor of the new video games are using DirectX. Thing is i dont know much about it.

I like OpenGL because it's open : Open Source, Cross Platform . Those also make it a standard. When using Directx, we can't understand how it work. We just can use its API. But with OpenGL, we know what's happening. We can do better programming work, make better 3d App.

I run a FreeBSD + GNU/Linux system.. need i say more.I dont see why anyone would purposly lock themselves into MS only platforms.However, i do remember the halfLife hads, where in the advanced graphics options you had a choise of "Sotfware, OpenGL or DirectX"Have you guys ever played UT200X on both windows and Linux platforms ?in windows, the game runs DirectX, in Linux it uns OpenGL.the graphics look exactly the same.there's a sligh performance boost under linux.. but its hardly a fair test, as im running 64bit gentoo on a Amd64 machine, vs 32bit windows.Back on track.... The performance and quality of OpenGL and DirectX are almost identicle, but openGL has the added bonus of portability.if MS made directX Open.. or atleast portable.. then it would be a very difficult decision.HOWEVER... the Cedega team have done well creating a compatability layer to run directX on Unix / Linux. Maybe one day they will manage to write a native DirectX kernel driver??dont hold your breath.... but anythigns possable.

I voted for OpenGL, due to i know more about it than about directx, well i do not want to repeat other said comments. :)

OpenGL definetely gets my vote here for all the above reasons and a few others.I guess the best point about it is indeed the fact it's cross-platform and since I tend to use Linux to code a lot more than Windows, yeah it's good! :o

I voted for Direct3D. Direct3D is designed to be a 3D hardware interface. The featureset of D3D is derived from the featureset of what hardware provides. OpenGL, on the other hand, is designed to be a 3D rendering system that may be hardware accelerated.