xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Hardware On Ebay: Why Crazy Prices?

i was just browsing on ebay for pc bits and i came across offers like these: #1 #2 #3 could someone explain to me what is going on with these pcs, possibly some experience of such sales. they look like really good offers, basically postage for an unwanted pc - either take parts and scrap the rest or run a few home servers. i would be interested. or do you think they are stolen. i cant figure these out, either people have too much money basically throwing these away or there is some scam. thanks

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

You won't be able to determine if these systems are stolen unless you have the serial numbers (and of course that the real owner has actually reported them stolen).These sellers *could* have ripped off these computers, but another (very likely) possbility is that these sellers know that the computer systems are going to have pretty high bids by the time the auctions close. A lot of eBay bids that start at one penny, or even one buck, end up closing for a lot more than that. Especially right now, with people starting the holiday shopping. If you *do* buy any of these systems, or anything else that you find on eBay, be sure that you use PayPal to make your payment. PayPal's buyer protection is usually said to be outstanding, and you have solid records to support your position if something goes wrong.