xisto Community
vdhieu84

What Type Of Google Search Result Is This? Strange looking google result

I just happened to google around and searched the term "photography online", for short, look at this link Google Search for: "photography online".

Notice the first result right after the sponsor link box and the tip thing, is a strange looking result (at least for me, this is the first time I saw such result). Can anyone explain?

Edited by miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG (see edit history)

If by strange result you mean this (the first result listed):

Posted Image

then even I'm wondering WHAT THE HELL is that.. really, I haven't come across something as strange as that ever before.

1064330633[/snapback]

I haven't seen that before...

but another question... How do you get screenshots of the website next to your google results?!?! :)

And how can I get that? ;)

well i have not seen this before too, but I think it is just some feature, but i don't think it is superbly useful :)

hmmm .. The screenshot of the website is indeed useful, hope m^e gives away the secret soon ;). But the thing about the search result is kinda weird. Its the first of its kind i have seen. Maybe it means Online for X days/ years ? or how many people online ? :) ok weird ! .. Btw .. m^e keeps the calculator in his taskbar for instant access :P .. and the amount of asta windows that are open ;) , NOW i know why some like the tabbed feature of FF :P .. RegardsDhanesh.

hmmm .. The screenshot of the website is indeed useful, hope m^e gives away the secret soon ;). But the thing about the search result is kinda weird. Its the first of its kind i have seen. Maybe it means Online for X days/ years ? or how many people online  ? :) ok weird ! ..

It's easy as hell - but works only with Firefox. It's a simple Firefox extension named GooglePreview - which you can download and install from: http://searchpreview.de/

Btw .. m^e keeps the calculator in his taskbar for instant access :P .. and the amount of asta windows that are open ;) , NOW i know why some like the tabbed feature of FF :P ..

Regards

Dhanesh.

1064330673[/snapback]

hehe - as you can see I'm a very busy man. The calculator's there coz I need to use it every 5 mins to calculate Bin/Hex stuff for coding. Going through Start Menu was getting to be a massive pain.

So are some other utilities like Notepad2, an extremely lightweight but much advanced version of Notepad for quick editing of stuff.

The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest program of all times, small, fast, without frills! Notepad2 tries to follow this principle, it's a small, fast and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages. More information: Notepad2 FAQ, Notepad2.txt.

Posted Image

You can grab it at: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Another text editing utility I use is TextPad - which allows you to edit multiple files together - also extremely useful for coders.. (also with syntax highlighting)

TextPadÂŽ 4.7.3 is a powerful, general purpose editor for plain text files. Easy to use, with all the features a power user requires.

Posted Image

Source: http://www.textpad.com/

I use the firefox tabs to their fullest extent - otherwise how do you think I cope up with modding a bunch of posts together .. and replying too :P

Wow, that's weird. You have to use calculators for coding? My goodness... I like geometry but not algebra. Hmm... anyway, that's some cool stuff. And I have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER about that "Photography. Online: 2" thing. Never seen that before.Like some people said, it could be something Google is working on, but who knows?

Hey guys, I found a page of similar type while searchning for Belgian Languages

Posted Image

This shows something extra added by google in the same big bold black.

Seems like some new google feature where in they add some extra relevant information about the keywords you searches. This case is ok - but I wonder what that Online: 2 for that Photography search was for.

Thanks for the heads-up m^e, that extension is a cool little tool. loved it. now i can actually see the preview of sites i visit ;) I did search for alternatives and came up with loads of similar extensions, but with added features. FF Rocks, Google rocks more :)And about the google function, i think you are pretty right, cause today at college i gave a search for "Internet Explorer IP grabbers" and i got something similar for the first search page. Anyways i think the 2 refers to the pages cached ?Aww aww ... I feel honored ;) .. i see my post on m^e's desktop .. lol , and yeah .. i did d'load that notpad2 proggy, quiet a useful one, i am using that now on.RegardsDhanesh.

Seems like some new google feature where in they add some extra relevant information about the keywords you searches. This case is ok - but I wonder what that Online: 2 for that Photography search was for.

1064330886[/snapback]

The "Online: 2" means that on the website where the link goes to, at the time it was cached by google, 2 users were online, as can be seen at the bottom of the cached page. Easy, isn't it? :)

I don't know why it does that.. I mean I'm used to Google interpreting the search results before it searches (like calculator etc.) but this obviously is some kind of a bug, because it gives uninteresting websites priority, that they don't have at all.I can't re-use the result you had for "belgium language" that you had m^e.The Online 2 could also mean the two galleries that are online.

Arrrgggghhhhhh....
No offence, but stuff like this really annoys me! Can none of you read?!?
https://www.google.co.uk/help/features.html%23qna

It's part of Google Q&A. Google obviously misinterpreted your search for "Photography online", and displayed how many people were shown as being online on a photography site it indexed.

To be honest, Google Q&A is pretty useless. It doesn't pick up half of the queries you want it to, and it picks up things it shouldn't, as you have demonstrated.

Anyway, hope this has cleared things up.

That weird line you saw was a feature that google put in to give you answers to your questions quickly. It's kind of like the Encarta feature in MSN's search. I think that google goes through all of its indexed pages and search for keywords that seem like a definition, then store the phrase and its definition in a large database. (for example, the word "japan official language" would have a definition of "Japanese" in some sites) When ms^e searched for "belgium language", google thought that he was asking a question, and used its answers database to answer it.I think the photography thing was an error in trying to interpret the website. Maybe the website once said "There are 2 photographs online", and google thought it was a definition to "photograph online". Then, when you search photography and online, it would give you the answer. That's my theory.

This is a pretty good way to get your site top in results, isn't it? as this bug shows, it is not made by hand and well you can exploit it.