xisto Community
Sarah81

Anyone Know Latin? I hate this class so much

Okay - this is for anyone who might have studied Latin for whatever reason.I'm taking Latin to fulfill my foreign language requirements so that I can get my degree three semesters from now and get out of here ("here" being university).The reason I got suckered into taking this stupid language is that this university offers it as an intensive course. I take two semesters' worth of Latin in one semester. I'm in Latin 1-2 right now, almost done with it, and am going sincerely crazy because I. Don't. Get. It.Anyway...my question for y'all is: what helped you absorb all of the things that you just *have* to know if you want to actually translate anything (like, say, the final exam)? So far, here's what I've been doing. I'm hoping that there are some other, more effective ways to help me retain this stuff so I don't flunk out.-Flashcards (somewhat helpful for vocabulary)\-Repeated writing and saying aloud (to help memorize declension endings, conjugation endings, etc.)-Translating the sentences in my textbooks (which the teacher gives for homework) but then going and doing the extra practice sentences in the back of the book to help solidify the stuff that I allegedly know.We *had* a study group, but it fell through so we've called the stupid thing off for the rest of this semester (a couple more weeks).

Just like how I study French, keep reading and try memorising as much as possible.Latin, I don't consider as a fully ceased language. There are still potential. A few include:- Latin is the basis for at least 5 of the world's main languages. English, French, Spanish, German and Italian.- Latin is interchangable, making translations between the Big 5 Languages.- If you know Latin, and if you are a Linux freak like me, you can send an email and talk to Linus B. Torvalds about techie business. He did say that he studied Latin and would love to talk to anyone in Latin...anyways, good luck!xboxrulz