xisto Community
plot

Windows Live Messenger 8 The new MSN

Everyone welcome the new MSN, which Microsoft has called Windows Live Messenger. This will be the next-generation MSN Messenger. The name is new, but it will still be free to download Messenger and use most of its features. And there will be some remarkable new ways to instantly share and connect with friends. Which pretty much means the butterfly has been retired. This is going to be one step Microsoft is taking in putting together Windows Live. Windows Live. So the things you care about - your friends, the latest information, your e-mails, powerful search, your PC files, everything â comes together in one place. This is a brand new Internet experience designed to put you in control. And this is just the beginning â you'll see many more new services in the coming months. Once windows live is implemented everything on your PC will be related to every on the internet! Windows Live includes such things like

Window Live Mail: Itâs all new web mail, built from the ground up. Preview your e-mail without loading a new page each time (like OutlookÂŽ) drag and drop messages into folders, and generally power through your e-mail in a flash.
Picture this: You search for a restaurant with your phone, then click on the result to be connected immediately. Plus, you can see detailed maps, driving directions, and moreâall formatted to fit the screen on your mobile device. The things you should have to help protect your PC, but probably donât because theyâre such a hassle. Stuff like virus scanning, firewall settings, tune ups, and software backupsâtied up with a bow and delivered to you in a friendly, easy-to-use package that runs quietly in the background.

After the announcements November 1st about Microsoft's new "live" services the company held a press conference detailing all the products in the Microsoft Live platform.

The company demo'd what is set to be Windows Live Messenger (the next generation of MSN Messenger). Similar to what we exclusively revealed months ago (Wave 11), the screenshots show a simplified interface and a fresh coloured feel. The next generation Messenger is expected to beta within the month and Microsoft's MSN team is aggresively seeking new testers for the upcoming client. Windows Live Messenger is expected to intergrate better PIM functionality, Skype like calling features, Windows Live Local intergration and better support for MSN Spaces.

I am currently a beta test and I just had one problem, the client was loaded with a whole bunch of junk I didnât need (search bars ads ect..) luckily some1 had made a patch to remove it all and after being with WLM8 for almost 2 months its definetly something im looking forward to and I surly cannot wait until microsoft releases their Live protocol

and here are a few screenshots
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Well, first of all thank you for introducing it. As a beta tester you are in some way affiliated to MS, so I'll be careful with what I write ;)

First, though, a question: why did you not make a regular screenshot? If I am not mistaken, these are pics taken from the screen with a digital camera...?

I have been using Trillian 3.1 Pro, until I found out that it is not fully compatible with MSN's video chat feature, a thing that I like a lot. So I asked a friend who uses IM a lot and he said, "MSN messenger 7.5 with the messpatch (http://www.mess.be/) and that works just great no popups no adds etc.." Which I did and BINGO! no mor frickin' ads. I am ads-allergic, as you might tell from my post here.

Some features look interesting. I wonder when the day will come when users outside the US have all these local amanities available to them.

Beta testers get accepted not so easily by microsoft, unless its a public review. Like the Live Mail, it was a public beta and almost everyone who signed up for the beta test got a chance to see the mail in action. As for the Messenger 8, M$ has already supplied a beta download link. Maybe they didnt want the leak to go over head.I tested the Messenger 8, and i kinda feel it needs a serious revamping thought, even though its changed a hell lot, the GUI needs to be improved for user compatibility. Many users dont know what some of the MSN features are, they need to put in tool tips and descriptions rather than use full memory while running messenger.The only 1 feature that i liked was the introduction of "Offline Messages". With the Yahoo+MSN joining hands, i guess things would be better and easier now between the 2 clients. Yahoo rocks in VoIP and Msn in its IM service, so when both the giants are joind together, its like a beer fest in the desert. Just hope that this time M$ dosent screw up with the bugs and viruses.RegardsDhanesh.

By changing the MSN protocal version, you can get MSN 8 Beta to work without being a beta tester, although be warned Microsoft could cut your account from their system if you're caught.I used the beta last night and yeah its got UI improvements, one or two new features but it is very resource heavy, maybe its just the beta but to run that at speed, make sure you have plenty of ram in your machine, it likes to slow things down.It has a share folders feature, potenitally just a file sharing directory on your computer, I can't see the music industry being happy about that.Oh and its orange. (changeable)

i think it would be interesting the idea of a new msn messenger cz u get bored using everyday the same software for some months. hope microsoft continue renewing her products and increase their quality. i will surely download this and tell you my comments.

fotisp, what would there be to improve on a chat program except for the chatting? It's way too bloated for a mere chatting app, seems like they are more and more integrating surfing and chatting to keep users with them. And of course, the default skin is ugly.

Wooooooow.....it's even more ugly than I expected it to be. I seriously wonder if microsft targets the younger kids with this interface. I can't imagine any grownup to actually like such a hideous creature. :|

lmao....i think they are doing thier best to make the interface user friendly because its not that complicated, my 8 year old brother could understand it fairly easily