xisto Community
Cassandra1405241487

My Little Windows Discoveries

I am giving this thread such a vague name because I am planning to use it to tell people about occasional odds and ends I find out about Windows, either Windows 2000, which I mainly use, or Windows in general.Today's discovery, and the trigger for this thread:Anything running through the Windows 2000 "Scheduled Tasks" by default creates a summary (but very useful) log. It is a text file stored in %WinDir% , and can be accessed, aside from more conventional means, through "Advanced|View Log" in the Scheduled Tasks pseudo-folder.Among other things, it is useful for a very quick check on scheduled backups, since the backup setup I'm working on now uses the Windows Scheduler for its actual scheduling.

Yeah, they are brilliant. I've used both of them in the past and they've been great.Something I've found quite useful in Windows is the User Control Panel. Not the one you see in CControl Panel; there's another one.Click Start>Run, and type "control userpasswords2".It's amazing, some of the things you can do with it! You can make the Guest account an administrator!

I prefer to use X-teq X-Setup. Although a paid version called X-Setup Pro v7 is available by default, the prior version v6.3 Freeware is magnificent in the ways in which so many applications and Windows can be tweaked. I especially liked its "Record Mode" where it allows you create a snapshot of changes made to the registry and allows the user to roll back the tweak if so required. With so many tweaks available, the integrated search function helps to narrow down the plugin that will make the change you desire. All in all, very good software.

/me points to TweakUI/TweakXP.

Download it. Use it. It's great. ;]

1064331530[/snapback]

TweakUP really is great utillity, it has united all stuff for windows, either technical or settings, there is everything at one place, and easily accesible, plus some more tweaks, that you can't do in windows controlpanel itself... :) mychoice.

Yeah, I knew that. I don't know why though.You also can't name a folder ".SOMETHING", if you do you get an error message/dialogue box thingy telling you that "You must type a file name"It seems that Windows treats the folder as a file when you rename it. But, if you do give a filename and extension (eg naming the folder "something.txt"), it's still a foler, it doesn't turn in to a text file. It must be a bug in Windows.Is there any reason like that why you can't call a folder "COM"?