xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
altsr

New Game: Sudoku

There is a NEW game in town.

Its SUDOKU.

This game is about patience and strategy.

Everyone all ages can play this game as it is considered a universal game without language barriers.

Posted Image

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

altsr ... If you are introducing a game could you... Umm lets say Explain the point of the game, How you play it. Rules (So on, so fourth) Because just by saying what you said might intrests us butyou don't have enough detail.

ok...sorry for the lack of information.That's all there is to it.There's no math involved.The grid has numbers, butnothing has to add up to anything else.You solve the puzzle with reasoningand logic.It's fun. It's challenging. It's addictive!Solving time is typicallyfrom 10 to 30 minutes,depending on your skill and experience.Fill in the grid so that every row,every column, and every 3x3 boxcontains the digits 1 through 9.

Sudoku is the most amazing strategic game I have ever played! If any of you people want to try it out then but "The Times" newspaper which has 2 ordinary puzzles and 1 killer puzzle in the weekdays, and Samurai Sudoku on Saturday.For the ordinary Sudoku puzzles, they are really easy once you get used to them. The trick is to not get frustrated and use logic and not maths to solve them! :)For Samurai Sudoku (5 ordinary puzzles joined together), they are quite hard at first but when you get used to it, you can begin to see patterns and tricks to solving them. Again logic is used.As for the latest Killer Sudoku, these require some math as they involve simple additions and calculations but again you need to use logic as well to solve it.

Hey! I know that one! I used to think that it wasn't that great, when my grandpa first told me about it, but then my math teacher started assigning them for homework, and I was, like, one of five in the class to understand them! So yeah, they are kind of cool! ;)

I have played this game a lot,it was a sort of passion for me at one point in my life ,i tried to minimise the time everytime i play it ,i remembered my highest record to complete it was 2minutes 15 seconds which was the best in my highschool ,until a girl defeated me at that ,but i yet love that game ,but after so many years i still play it and its really fun and a strategic game which makes your brain run like 100 km /sec ;)

I hav eto say I hated sudoku even though I am usually quite good at number combination games. My friends are all really into it and there is even a sudoku club at school. Needless to say its normally empty because everyone percieves playing sudoku in school is nerdy. However I don't find the game hard just fairly tedious with very little point or satisfaction when you win. Of course there are the books and the online games that have been raging through britain. I can't see the attractions of this game personally even if it brings loads of fun to other people,

I like soduko but I suck at it, I usually get so pissed of when I can't solve one that. I usually crumble them up and throw right into the trashcan.Maybe I should try to be more patient, or should I go and take anger management classes lol?

altsr ... If you are introducing a game could you... Umm lets say Explain the point of the game, How you play it. Rules (So on, so fourth) Because just by saying what you said might intrests us butyou don't have enough detail.

I hope this help you. I found it on this site https://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

How to Play Sudoku?

Sudoku requires no calculation or arithmetic skills. It is essentially a game of placing numbers in squares, using very simple rules of logic and deduction. It can be played by children and adults and the rules are simple to learn.

Sudoku Objective

The objective of the game is to fill all the blank squares in a game with the correct numbers. There are three very simple constraints to follow. In a 9 by 9 square Sudoku game:

Every row of 9 numbers must include all digits 1 through 9 in any order

Every column of 9 numbers must include all digits 1 through 9 in any order

Every 3 by 3 subsection of the 9 by 9 square must include all digits 1 through 9

Similarly, smaller Sudoku puzzles, such as the 4x4 puzzle, must have the numerals 1 through 4 in each row, column and subsection. Larger Sudoku games (16 by 16) must have numerals 1 through 16 in each row, column and region. The principles are the same whatever the size of the game.

Every Sudoku games begins with a number of squares already filled in, and the difficulty of each game is largely a function of how many squares are filled in. The more squares that are known, the easier it is to figure out which numbers go in the open squares. As you fill in squares correctly, options for the remaining squares are narrowed and it becomes easier to fill them in. The Sudoku games on SudokuDaily.net let you check your progress as you go, to help prevent going down a wrong path.

Sudoku Solution Techniques

Posted Image

The first things to do in tackling a Sudoku puzzle is to scan the rows and columns to see where a certain number might go, given the 3 constraints listed above. For example, the fact that a 7 is required in the top right corner can be determined by first analyzing its 9 square sub-region. The only numbers missing in the region are a 5 and a 7. However, putting a 5 in the top right box would conflict with the 5 already in the top row and the rightmost column. The 7, on the other hand, would not conflict with any of the given numbers.

Once the 7 is filled in, deduction requires that only a 5 can go beneath it as all digits from 1 through 9 must be represented in the region. From there, one can turn to the two remaining open boxes in the right column - these must include a 2 and a 4 as the column's digits must represent 1 through 9. One of these options, placing the 4 beneath the 1, would lead to a conflict with the 4 already in that horizontal row, so the only option for this box must be a 2.

However, options for boxes are often not that easy to deduce. Another technique is to "pencil in" possibilities and then follow the possible solutions that emerge until a conflict is found. Often these conflicts appear after 2 or 3 numbers are penciled in, and one can return to the start and try the next option until something clicks.

The Sudoku puzzles on SudokuDaily.net make penciling in options very easy. Just put a possible number in a box, click on it, and it is moved to the top left light blue area of the box. From there you can start considering possibilities until the solution to a box or two emerges, or until you need to pencil in another option and start again.

The great thing about Sudoku is that every step makes the next step easier by narrowing possibilities. Every solved box makes filling the next box a little bit easier.

Notice from WeaponX:
Use QUOTE tags if you want to copy other site's work...

I think sudoku is not a new game in fact it is an ancient game played by chinese of japanese though I am not really sure but the thing I am sure is that it will totally work your brain out. burning all the neurons and contracting all the muscle in you head

I started playing sudoku when I saw one of my classmates doing it. I finally asked my mother if I could buy one and she let me. Soon enough, I got my relatives to try it out. We've been solving sudoku problems for a while now, but I've stopped for a while.Sudoku is really great. It makes you think, which sharpens your mind.

Well Sudoku isn't exactly a new game :blink: but it's quite challenging and rewarding. The wikipedia page has some great strategies to help get you by. Definitely start off by cross-hatching to find the dead give aways then move up to counting 1-9 in areas, rows, and columns. You're on your own for the very advanced puzzles as I can stare at them for an hour and complete a very small portion hehe... Medium and some Hard ones are enough for me thanks.

Two good sites that have free puzzles

http://www.websudoku.com/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Count-to-nine also has a feature that lets you print out your own custom puzzles.