xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
altsr

Search Engine Website - What Makes Them Famous ? HOw come??

Why is Yahoo! and Google so famous?What makes them stand out among the rest of the search engines?There are some other search engines like catcha.com.my or even msn.com

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Google and Yahoo are some of the most famous search engines for a multitude of reasons..Some of which being:*They have indexed such a vast % of the internet that they can provide the best results depending what you're looking for.*They do not look like a horrible search engine: In the sense that they are nice and proper and have a little amount of advertising to good quality search results*Google is always trying to improve their coverageEx: Google pictures (google was the first to think of this)Ex2: Google beta movies...It'll search for movie clips and stream them through google*Not to mention google's extensive caching ;).And well Yahoo's got nice fine qualities too:*They've been around since almost the beginning, and people have always like em for that*They host a multitude of other things: Chat, vids, music, etc...*They basicly have alot more quality extractions and alot less crap like just looks :P.There's alot more reasons then what I've given, but these are the most general...Hope this clears things up a bit

Well in short google becasme famouse cause of its good search results and simple interfaceyahoo becamse famouse for its portal like nature.Yahoo used to syndicate Google's Search Engine a while back when they were not diurect competitorsAlso ...essentaqiily both of these companies are advertising companies for internet ..so they make them selves famouse ;)

Well in short

google becasme famouse cause of its good search results and simple interface

yahoo becamse famouse for its portal like nature.

Yahoo used to syndicate Google's Search Engine a while back when they were not diurect competitors

Also ...essentaqiily both of these companies are advertising companies for internet ..so they make them selves famouse ;)

1064329337[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies. SO which one would you prefer?

GOOGLE or YAHOO

I prefer google cos it is much more simplier and faster.

Thanks for the replies. SO which one would you prefer?

GOOGLE or YAHOO

I prefer google cos it is much more simplier and faster.

1064329391[/snapback]

Google became famous and popular initially for it's excellent search results.

Previously, relevance ranking was all based on page contents. That's when people started to manipulate their contents to gain a higher rank, and search results got screwed.

Googled figured out that by analysing the links to a page, it can guage it's ranking better. Of cos, it figured out a way to discount those links which were put in manipulatively.

That's when all engines gave crap results and it gave good results. Other engines have played catch-up, but google is far ahead now.

Google, I feel, that it became popular by luck I mean if you read the news you can see that the owners are surprised on how much they succeeded it's just that some people liked it and if you do compare it with yahoo it's seems so much simplar and easy to use so everyone started recommending it to all their freinds and it just turns out that, by luck, it became so popular I mean check out http://search.yahoo.com/ search teh same thing in both engines and see the results it's almost usually the same but it's just that google is more well known and now that thier adding extra features such as the 2 GB Gmail and the newly released online libary it's just going to get even more popular

One more thing why google and yahoo are one of the most famous search engines is that...They have advertised so muchHaven't you noticed that every web page you visit almost contains yahoo and google somewhere out there?I mean, google and yahoo are famous because they reached out to people they made themselves known by the service they deliver.They are also more accurate than other search engines. They display relevant web pages not unlike others who just display web pages full of trackers and bad stuff.

Google is so popular because there the Number 1 place to find Infomation , Web Sites They also have Gmail the e-mail service Google news & heaps of things it is viewed by so many because they put so much time into it!