xisto Community
WeaponX

Securing Wireless Network Slow Things Down?

Will giving your router a WEP/WPA protection slow down the speed of the connection? I have changed my SSID and disabled it from being broadcasted, enabled WEP 128bit encryption (that's the highest it will support ;) ), and enabled MAC address filtering. Is that overkill? Will I be just as safe if I just use MAC filtering?Just curious since from what I gathered all this time, 802.11g can transfer speeds up to 54Mbps but most internet speeds can't even be close to that. So will it still slow me down though in that sense? I have 3Mbps download speed...Thanks.

You should be pretty ok mate...But let's face it, all types of firewalls will slow your connection down a tad, and the more you have, the more it will be slowed down, but never to the point of lagging.It never hurt anybody to be too safe, so just try not to worry...And 3Mbps is incredibly fast as it is :/

Will giving your router a WEP/WPA protection slow down the speed of the connection?

WPA uses a lot more overhead WEP, and therefore the transfer of 'real' information will be slower. I imagine that for the same reason WEP will be slower than totally open communication, since every connection will have to be authenticated and every packet will have to include some encryption information, but I haven't seen anything authoritative written on the subject.
I also don't know if these slowdowns will be great enough to be noticeable. But they'll be there.

Will I be just as safe if I just use MAC filtering?

NO, NO, NO! MAC filtering in itself only protects against accidental of very childish attempts at illicit usage.
Every packet on a network using an Ethernet protocol includes the destination MAC address in the clear. That means that anyone with a packet sniffer can within a short time find out the MAC addresses of all of the active wireless cards on your system. Many wireless configuration programs allow one to alter the transmitted MAC address by hand, so that once the eavesdropper knows what MAC addresses you're using, it's no problem to impersonate them, and log onto your system as you.

On the other hand, encryption might not be all that important for you. If all that you do is play games, and you have no particular reason to fear that others are exploiting your system, you might want to leave MAC filtering on, hide the SSID, change the default name and password on your router, and leave your connection unencrypted. Are you that worried about your neighbors finding out what orders you give to your swordswomen?

All my internet traffic goes over an unencrypted WLAN connection and I'm not terribly worried about people listening it. I encrypt my email, use SCP instead of FTP, IRC on a server whioch I connect vie SSH2 and use encryption for ICQ connections and alike. I do not consider using these a burden, as I'd do it even if I used a wired connection (adsl). But if I had the option to choose, (I don't because I use a WLAN access internet connection, the access points aren't mine) I'd use WPA. Yes, encryption always increases the overhead and thus slowsdown connection, I consider the added security a worthwhile trade-off. Besides, the actual internet connection hardly depends on the 100m (or so) WLAN encrypted connection; there are way bigger bottlenecks elsewhere. The situation is naturally different if you use the WLAN for other than internet. For those who are not familiar with the WLAN encryption methods, WEP is practically useless on a bigger networks as it can be so easily cracked. This is why my connection provider doesn't use it. The reason for not using WPA is probably because some APs in the network don't support it. I am under the impression that once all the APs get upgraded to 802.11g standard, WPA might get enabled.

Thanks for the replies.Yep, I'm only using WEP since my router won't support WPA. I guess it's better than nothing, but I have taken all the other wireless security measures already with the SSID and MAC filtering, so that should stiffen up the access level.I don't do much online, but occassionally buy some things. I'll keep them all enabled then. Will try to get a router with WPA encryption. I didn't notice any slowdown myself but read things here and there about how encrypting the wireless using WEP/WPA can slow things down...guess it's just paranoia ;)Thanks.

Well I have wireless network and It was really fast for awile. But last month it got really slow and really gay. I have to keep reconnecting to fix errors and everything. I recommend using a cord because that almost never messes up. But if you like wireless use it, I am not telling you what to do. But I really do recommend the cord it is a lot safer.It may be a problem I am having with the internet you tell me. Whenever I am playing a game I lagg really bad with like a 500 ping and get kicked out by the game. I download stuff at like 30 kbs a second and I have a cable connection. Please tell me what you think is wrong.

I would use wireline also but with my room looking like a warehouse now, I probably won't do it. I'm sure someone will trip over it ;)

Regarding your gaming question, I think it would be better if you asked it in the Gaming Forum. Hopefully someone there will answer your question.

Im using a 802.11g D-Link card and my wireless BT router has to use WEP :) But although Nothing has happend to the speed is any way ;) But also try not to use MAC filltering that SLOWS down the connection by 2Also try thinking of puting the WEP to autothat might solve probrlems too Enjoy !!!Chris,.,.Why do people user wired lan when were in the 21st centurey using WIRELESS!!!! ;)

I like to use the MAC filtering since it provides another layer of security (even though I know a dedicated/persistent enough hacker can still get in easily by spoofing it).

WEP to auto? I can only enable/disable it and assign it a key value. No option for auto. Something just caught my attention (been curious about this for some time now already). What is 4x Support ? I have it on Disabled now.

Also for my Authentication Type, should I choose Open System or Shared Key? What's the difference?

Sometimes mine would really slow it down to death. Like I have 2 computer connected to the wireless router, mine and my brother's. What would happen is when it is connected, whenever one of us downloads more than 200kbps, it would lag like badly. But when it's not connected to the router, just a direct connect, I could download to my limit of 700+ kbps. I don't understand how it can be that bad really. Shouldn't it have been like 350 kbps for each computer at least if I was connected to a router? So weird I tell you >_<