xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jguy101

Xbox Linux

this is a bit random but ireally wonder why it isnt called 'linuXbox' sorry to be weird but i just would have thought it would be.i dont think id bother with a xbox but having a xbox 360 dual boot as both a pc for the tv and a game machine would be pretty neat. the old xbox is just so ugly and the new one so much nicer.

This looks nice.

I am already able to run linux on my xbox. I am using XDSL (xbox damn small linux) which can be found here: http://www.x-dsl.org/

*Unlike the linux jguy101 showed this one requieres a modded xbox.

Just follow the links to the download site - select the file version you wish to download (i choose .zip), unzip the file to a folder. The result is an iso.

I recommend burning the ISO with NERO BURNING ROM 6+ at 4x (on a dvd off course)

Pop the cd into the dvd drive and let it boot. Choose to run from the cd-rom (or just wait for a couple of mins)

-- DSL LOADS --

Choose screen Resolution: the last two options require you connect to a HD-TV with special component cables.

Now, either you have a usb-xbox compatible keyboard or you can use the VIRTUAL KEYBOARD that comes with XDSL. Use the analog stick or d-pad to move cursor and type on the Virtual Keyboard.

FEATURES: mozilla, XXM player, terminal, word prossesing, spredsheet, xpaint, free games download, free utilities download, free themes.

To use the internet connect your xbox to your network with an ethernet cable, compatible wireless card.

BONUS:
You can run a webserver from your XDSL, here is a tutorial: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/-
scene.com/lofiversion/index.php/t454803.html

*runing a webserver requires that you install XDSL into your xbox i.e does not run from cd, but from hdd

Wow a new version of a Microsoft X-box. :D I'm not really to keen on the idea myself. Okay, the specifications sound amazing but why would Microsoft, make a product with the name "Linux"? It just doesn't fit.

Plus, I don't think anyone's gonna bother getting the Microsoft X-box Linux if the new Microsoft X-box 360 is coming out. I know that for me, i'm just gonna get the 360!

But for those who don't want to get the 360 it would be cool to have a kind of upgrade version of the X-box.

1064328529[/snapback]

THE XBOX, considering it is a Microsoft product, It has an embedded os, to make it work FAST. this will be created by Microsoft.