xisto Community
Jguy101

Which Antivirus, Antispyware & Firewall You Use?

AVG free, Avast free, Sygate personal firewall, Spybot, Scotty & Avorax. Plus M/Softs anti-spyware thingy.I have the above running all the time, I also use yet another anti-virus once a week to triple check (Anti-vir).I haven't had any trouble for years, I don't know if that's because I'm careful, or lucky!!

hasn't there already been a topic with the same question ?Anyway, for Anti-virus, I use Avast Home for on-access protection, it works very good, I get a lot of virus warning on some sites, so that means he does work :P .From time to time I do a full scan using FreeAV and/or Bitdefender, only viri that got onto my computer is Eicar (allow it) and a worm (start.exe), but that one is in an zip folder and can't infect as long as I don't run it.For Spyware, I use ad-aware and Spybot S&D, sometimes I run A-squared and looong time ago I've run M$ Anti-spyware.For the rest, I have spywareblaster, but that's useless, since I don't use IE or FF (Opera rocks all the way), but I have a good HOSTS file.Firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall Pro, damned good one ;)

Indeed, this is not the first time this question has been asked...My father buyed Norton Internet Security 2006 a few days ago, we should get it in a few days or something. For antispyware I use: Mircosoft Antispyware, Ad-aware and Spybot: search and Destroy....

Heh here we go once again.I use the firewall on my router and windows service pack 2 firewall.Nod32 anti virus all the way ( on all my computers ) its simply the best out there at the moment.For spyware i use the combination most people seem to use which is adaware 6 personal and Spybot Search & Destroy.So my system i feel to the occasional script kiddie and trojans are pretty safe.

For antivirus, I use CA eTrust Ez Antivirus, it is small, powerful and fast, just what I need. I would recommend to anyone to get this, at only $20 (or so) for registration of the product (indefinately), it is not bad (plus the constant auto-matic updates).As for anti-spyware, I use a two, as they miss things from each other. I use Spybot S&D and Adaware. When setting up Spybot, don't use the immunize, I did and my system literrally went on super-defense mode. I couldn't even access java games.And for my firewall, I use the all-time favourite, Zonelabs Zonalarm. I think it is great, and nobody can change my mind.At one point, I did McAfee suite, but then I realized that haven't all your bases covered with one porgram set, can be useless. That is why I use a variety of software/freeware to defend my computer.

I use Avast Home Edition for antivirus, a combination of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot: Search and Destroy for anti-spyware, and ZoneAlarm for firewall (my router also has a built-in firewall.) It all works pretty well for me, and it was all free, with the exception of the router, of course.

I use Mac OS X ;) and feel pretty safe doing so. But I'm behind a router so that is a different deal. The only software I use is Little Snitch, which alarms you when an app tries to connect to the internet. Until now I haven't gotten anything suspicious until today, when "configd" a Mac OS X service constantly tried to access the net. I didn't do anything and when I pinged/traced/whoised the IP I didn't get anything with a name...

I am currently using avast! Home Edition on my desktop computer along with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro which I did not purchase but just got the serial somewhere ;) They both work very well for me but avast! is like Symantec products, hogging much of your memory. Sygate, on the other hand, uses only 8MB and you can actually terminate some services on avast!'s control panel such as P2P Shield or whatsoever. You don't really need it anyway since I don't really see the point of using it when you already have real-time protection by its Standard Shield. As for antispyware, I am using Microsoft Antispyware Beta, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition. I also have a hardware firewall in my 2Wire HomePortal modem.On my laptop, I use AntiVir Personal Edition, a reliable antivirus that doesn't take much of your memory away from you together with the Windows XP SP2 built-in firewall. The antispyware bundle is the same, excluding Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition. I do not run Warez P2P on this computer since it's only a laptop and I don't expect it to blow up in my face...heat is a problem since I think AMD processors heat up too fast in laptops.

Today my Norton Internet Security has entered my cd-drive :P It's installed and scanning now. There are really a lot of options to choos from.... I can't tell you now how save it is, but I believe Norton is a very good one. I've never had problems since i used it (if you don't count the one time i forgot to update it for a month and got a vires 53 times on my computer ;)) And now for a year i'm also using norton antispam and i don't even see all the banners on this site, and I never get pop-ups :P I love it.

Once again we come to the long debated topic. For over an year I've been using this product called BitDefender Pro which is AntiVirus+Firewall+AntiSPAM - all thrown in together. It hasn't given me any chances of complaints at all... It's quite surprising that not many people use it or even have heard about it.

They've been winning a bunch of awards over the past two years... here's a short summary and also the reasons WHY I use this:

Ease of Use: 

Softwin has given great attention to the small details of BitDefender, something that has been lost in the other major anti-virus products. BitDefender received a VB100% rating in Virus Bulletin's tests, the highest honor for anti-virus software. The product is well laid-out with an attractive, easy-to-use design that is consistent throughout the product and with the manufacturer's web site. Because it is simple to use and updates itself automatically, you can install it on your system then practically forget it's there; an ideal situation for the home user.

Feature Set: 

The Live! Update feature checks for product and virus definition updates at either a user-defined interval or manually (default is every 3 hours). When you do a manual check for updates, you decide which updates to install. When the software automatically checks for updates, it can update the files at that time or at a time you previously specified during setup.

BitDefender Standard Edition uses the ICSA Labs certified scanning engines, allowing users to feel secure about their virus protection. A very large folder, 1.5 gigabyte with over 12,000 files took approximately 10 minutes to scan.

Ease of Installation: 

This product is very easy to install. No problems.

Help/Support: 

When you purchase BitDefender you also receive one year of virus signature updates and scan engine upgrades. Technical support is offered by qualified support representatives live via Internet or telephone. An online database features answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs).

Effectiveness: 

The VB 100% logo is awarded to anti-virus products that:

* Detect all "In the Wild" viruses during both on-demand and on-access scanning in Virus Bulletin's comparative tests.

* Generate no false positives when scanning a set of clean files.

* Bitdefender Standard was awarded the VB100, the Virus Bulletin certification that the product is able to detect all the viruses which are currently existent in the wild. Once again, BitDefender passed with flying colors, and the test team noticed an improvement in the overall detection rates from previous tests.

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Although this is a paid product, it costs far less than most of it's counterparts from other companies and also has a Linux version.

It's worth giving it a shot ;) I am a paid user coz as I said, their prices are as low as $30 - and when it comes to protecting my system, I am not willing to compromise - especially when it's a matter of just a couple of bucks.

Regards,

m^e

My antivirus/antispyware/firewall programs that I use are all free and all work great ;) For antivirus I use AVG AV, which is a good program with a lot of features and detection qualities. For antispyware I use spybot search and destroy. I have tried another free program, ad-aware, but it does not work as well in my expierence. My firewall is Kerio personal firewall, which for some reason a lot of people dont use...I think its great, and causes me no trouble what so ever....heres where you can get the programs:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/