xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ebbinger_413

Wi-fi Connection Error, Cant Connect

i just got a free wireless access point from work...it is a measly 11mbs access point and i have a wireless 802.11b card in my desktop...i plugged an internet connection into the access point and the three lights...one for power, one for network, and one for wireless connection...all lit up...the power was steady...the network blinking when the internet was plugged in and not when it wasnt...and the wireless blinked steady...actually geting more steady as i got closer to my wireless card in my desktop...so everything is working so far...i go to my desktop and search for access points...and it picks it up...i go to connect it and it brings up a little box asking whether i want to continue even though it doesnt have a wep key...so fine...i check the box and click connect...doesnt connect....try it again...doesnt connect....checked all my connections they are fine...searched for the access point...still there...just wont connect....what is wrong...also a friend of mine told me that since there is a serial port on the back of the access point that it was managed and that it might be blocked....so that might be the reason i cant connect....what do i do...i got it for free...it works...just wont let me connect...please

i forgot to add in the model number and some other information...that might help ;)...sorry :P lol

anyways...here we go...

Posted Image

http://forums.xisto.com/
"">

http://www.symbol.com/AP4131/']Deliver robust interoperability with Wi-Fi wireless networking and support for demanding wireless voice and data applications

Symbol’s AP4131 Access Point delivers robust 802.11b wireless networking for your laptops, handheld computers and other mobile devices. With speeds up to 11 Mbps, the AP4131 provides robust support for voice and data applications, as well as interoperability with any Wi-Fi certified device. Scaling to accommodate additional capacity and coverage is as easy as adding additional access points. And a comprehensive suite of security options, combined with the ability to detect unauthorized access points protects your network, mobile devices and users against hackers and attacks.

Access Protocol: CSMA/CA

Can you configure the access point without a wireless connection. Meaning can you plug it to your computer with a wire? You mentioned the serial port, are there any other ports? I think the problem is that the access point is configured to accept connections from specific MAC addresses only. Only way to change this is by configuring the AP.

yeah...there is only that serial port...but i dont know how to manage it or if that is even what the serial port is for...i have seen other ap's that have serials and they are used for up/down connections to connect to other ap's to share that network....kinda like switches...but yeah...idk

I once wasn't able to connect to my router (neither WLAN nor LAN) because I set up the connection settings to interfere. I think I gave myself an IP, but the router expected me to use DHCP or the other way round. Try changing your IP distribution settings, ok?