xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TrianGulum

What Is VNC ? Need More Information And Help what is it?

My school is using VNC. I think its got something to do with the network.

What I wanted to do is check people's login and get info about them.

I was hoping I could do that with this program.

1064328122[/snapback]

VNC is short for Virtual Network Computing - a protocol used for remote control of computers on a network. It's best used on LANs and other networks where a decent amount of bandwidth is available. A lot of network administrators use it. It saves a lot of effort as the user sees the same desktop as would be seen if he/she were physically at that console. It's based on a client-server model -> the server is the machine that is to be controlled. The client logs in to the server and controls everything from keyboard key presses to mouse movements. The screen changes to reflect the changes made.

VNC as a protocol is under GPL and so the source can and has been modified by many projects to deliver improved implementations. Some notable projects that use VNC are TightVNC / RealVNC and UltraVNC

For more info - the Wikipedia page is a good place to start.

My school is using VNC. I think its got something to do with the network.

What I wanted to do is check people's login and get info about them.

I was hoping I could do that with this program.

1064328122[/snapback]

Now you know that this is considered hacking, right? Ohh well I hopefully will not stand in your way too much. When attacking a VNC machine you might consider some of the functions in Cain & Able. I don't know about the latest version but historically the password is kept in the Windows registry which is turn is not protected very well.