xisto Community
sazz

Renaming The Start Button In Windows XP

To rename the start button, you will need a hex editor.My preference is UltraEdit 1. Copy the \windows\explore.exe file to a new name (e.g. explorer_1.exe) 2. With the hex editor, open that file and go to offset 412b6 3. You will see the word start with blanks between each letter 4. Edit it be any 5 characters or less 5. Save the file 6. Boot to DOS 7. Copy the existing c:\windows\explorer.exe to explorer.org 8. Copy explorer_1.exe to explorer.exe 9. You will also need to replace the explorer.exe in the c:\windows\system32\dllcache file as well with the new one.Note: If the partition is NTFS and you can't access the files from DOS: 1. Start Regedit 2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon. 3. Change the value of Shell from Explorer.exe to explorer_1.exe

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

ooh, cool! I never think of things like that.so that means you can do that with... a pretty much unlimited number of programs?Yes! *rubs hands together* I've got some fun planned.

6. Boot to DOS

You will probably find that my question is really stupid, but ... How do you boot to dos on a Windows XP machine, with a NTFS system disk ?Yordan

You will probably find that my question is really stupid, but ... How do you boot to dos on a Windows XP machine, with a NTFS system disk ?

I think it's explained in the second part:

Note: If the partition is NTFS and you can't access the files from DOS:
1. Start Regedit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon.
3. Change the value of Shell from Explorer.exe to explorer_1.exe

This looks like a pretty neat thing. But I'm using HEdit and offset 0x412b6 doesn't have start, it has some silly characters. Does it differ for sp2?

It works!! Nice!! I put my "Start" to "Sleep", because my start menu is taking too much time to appear!! :unsure:

How much of a special difference will it make.?I really don't care about "Start" button, but having the word Start is quite self explantory, although if I could possibly chnage it to "Go"... or maybe an animation, "1","2","3", GO.How would I be able to do that?

Hehehe I used to do this kind of thing (changing programs' texts) with Ultraedit since it's version 5.0.But later I found out it was generally much easier to do (along with other more things, like editing real program resources) with Resource Hacker. It's a free program, just run a Google search for it. You won't regret.

by default rename new folder if a new folder created in win xp

Renaming The Start Button In Windows XP

By default name of new folder change if a new folder created in win xp

-reply by Asim

One thing to remember is that from a programming standpoint the start button is nothing more than another window and can be manipulated as such. Using a utility such as Winspector (http://purpleport.com/front.asp), you can see that it is a button class that is inherited from Shell_TrayWnd. Using the Windows API you can capture and send events to the window which opens an entire new world of options.After some research I found a great article explaining this in detail and as a bonus has a free program that does it for you (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). You can also break the limit of five characters and even add symbols that are in the Unicode library. This may be the only way but I don’t see what is keeping you from grabbing the button text with the Windows API and then setting a new string.

how I can rename start Button in wx sp3Renaming The Start Button In Windows XP

I need to rename my start button in window xp sp3 so I can change or rename please?

reply by Ahmed

Pc not workingRenaming The Start Button In Windows XP

Dear Sir,I was follow below links to rename the start menu. But now my pc has has not showing the icons on screen. Kindly advise as soon as possible.Note: If the partition is NTFS and you can't access the files frOm DOS:1. Start Regedit2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon.3. Change the value of Shell from Explorer.Exe to explorer_1.ExeRegardsPawan

-reply by Pawan