xisto Community
RomfordReject1

Rate This Please! CC welcome

Ok my mate has a web site and asked me to make an entrance page for him here it is rate it please!

Posted Image

What Do YOU Think!

I have got the background and the button seperate (put the together to show you) but dont know how to make the button go on top of the backgrounf using HTML(so i can make the button a link and not the whole thing) if anyone can help me please post You will be really heping me out!

( i have just noticed on the border of the button it is too big and you can see other stuff slightlly in it please ignore this for i will correct it when i get time Thanks :) )

Ok my mate has a web site and asked me to make an entrance page for him here it is rate it please!

Posted Image

What Do YOU Think!

I have got the background and the button seperate (put the together to show you) but dont know how to make the button go on top of the backgrounf using HTML(so i can make the button a link and not the whole thing) if anyone can help me please post You will be really heping me out!

( i have just noticed on the border of the button it is too big and you can see other stuff slightlly in it please ignore this for i will correct it when i get time Thanks :) )

1064328064[/snapback]

It looks good, but I have a few suggestions. First off, like you already said make the border fit around the button area better. Also I would either move the button slightly to the right maybe, because it is so close to being lined up with that vertical stroke that it is creating some tension in the composition. Also the little black space near the top left is a little distracting. Either move those circles back a little to hide it or pull the circles out more to make the space bigger. Right now it just looks like a mistake. I like the clean graphicsimplicity of the piece.

As far as the coding for the buttion, I think an image map would work well. This allows you to use the whole image as just one image, but designate a shape on the page, that is hyperlinked.

This page explains it well: W3 Schools: Image Maps

Another way would be to slice the image up in 9 pieces and just make the centyer one linked, but this might not seem as proffessional as the images sometimes look weird when they load in pieces.

Hello, I was recently reading a bit about CSS and found it is straight forward to make a button disappear on the mouse hovering over it. But I'm not sure how this works with your coding. I could find the address of the web site that had a demonstration?

i wish i could help you on html coding but i stink at it which is why i just do animations and still images haha.. anyhoo as far as your picture goes, i love it! the design is really cool and eye catching so people will definately not forget it :)

This has a clean and simple look. Overall, I would rate it highly, but I notice that some of the long rounded rectangles do not look quite right to me. The first, third, and fourth rounded rectangles from the right edge near the top, curve too soon as they go into the circle above. And the big one stretched horizontally near the bottom seems like it shouldn't protrude into the circle on the left at all.The black space which Foolakadugie mentions doesn't detract from the piece for me, but that's a matter of personal taste, I think.As for the HTML, image maps are definitely the way you want to go.

Ok thanks all i will try and have a look at these problems.The inmage map is a great help i knew it was called something like that!!Should soon be releasing the website (my mates no longer wants it so im using it)And will put it on here for rating!

i have to agree looks like a good splash page and if you vector design just a bit more it will look even better.

Posted Image

Hi Alljust posting an update this is the new splash for the site it has the enter frame redone and the bubbles moved. i like teh font i have for the minute might put a poll on the site to see what the users think!!

keep the coments coming much apreciated!

Romford are you designing this in ps (photoshop) if you are then its not the html you need to worry about for the link but the images themselves ;) let me explain. Once you have your image ex. your splash page ready ..grab the slice tool and for your picture you will need to cut in into 5 parts so that the "button" is left in th middle by iteself then click file > save for web and u can save both images and html format. then open up the html page ps created for you and edit it for example by putting the image in the center of the page or making the background colour black and most importantly placing a hyperlink on the "part number 3" (which should be your button). I did this to all my splash pages and it also improves loading time for low end internet uses as it doesnt have to load an entire image on the page at once but does them in parts.Good Luck

But Reaver, RomfordReject1's image has very few colors, all in monochrome, which means that if the image were optimized in GIF or PNG format (PNG would probably be best), it wouldn't be all that large in terms of file size. If my suspicion is correct, it would be more shrewd to use the image map.I just looked at the image's specs, only to find that it is a JPG. I would recommend that RomfordReject1 use one of the formats mentioned above. One of the strengths of those formats is that you can specify how many colors to include. You would probably need less than 16 colors for this image. JPG is best utilized when there are more than 256 colors, among other situations.

Reaver no i am not design it in Photodhop but in Gimp. There is something similar which you can do on gimp its called perlotine im in th emiddle of installing it into my scprits now so i wont be using the image map. Like photoshop it splits the image in to serveral sectios then puts them all back to gether using HTML.Clagnol i see what you are saying that it is pointless having jpeg when i use so little colors i will change this when i do my next edit on the splash ( soon i hope)Another Question though!Do you think that i sould use this them throughout my website?(use a similar back ground with a few more colors) or should i come up with a completey new theme for the rest? (just so you know the site is about skating so it has to have a sort of "punk" feel to it! thanks al keep posting!

Most designers would advise you to keep a consistent theme. The colors and shapes make a better impression on the visitor if they are consistent.That having been said, sometimes it's more fun to design lots of different things. And considering skateboarding's roots in the surfer and punk subcultures, it would be culturally appropriate to discard all the rules and do whatever the f* you want.

Hahahah excellent theory clagnol F* the System..But i think that you should stick to the same theme becos in any web design even tho u are targeting the punk audience u want to attract even more people to ur site and maybe if u are lucky convert them to punk ;)So a smooth website can also be a punk website...you know the whole organised chaos deal ..Good Luck

Yeh i like the F* the system theory too! But must agree with reaver on keeping the website to a complete flowing webpage. Although i was just messing about with using all the splash type baclgroung for the website and it is not really working. the reson its not working it becuase its TOO eyecatching and makes it hard to read anything on the page. This might mean i have to redesign the splash. ;):P I have a few ideas for the redesign and am putting them together as i speak, later on this month i might put a pole with a coulple of designs and then go from there!If any of you have a punk type web design idea could you please either post here or message me! Thanks