xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow X

Do Forum Posts Take Up Space On Your Host ?

Don't know for IPB3 precisely. However, if your forum shows the new post, and has way for answering, each thing kept in the forum must be somewhere, and this somewhere is precisely your space.Just have a look at your account, each byte of used space is tracked. Simply write down the number of posts in your forum everyday, along with the used space in your account, and you will see precisely the space taken by the posts.RegardsYordan

Absolutely so - whichever forum software you use, your posts+associated data (member logins/points etc.) all are stashed in some database. Most popular db for this is of course, MySQL but many forum softwares these days support PostGRE-SQL too. Anyway, storing data in a database itself means that the data is stored on your disk compacted in the database's own format. And wherever you're hosted at, your databases are located in your own alloted disk space. So any addition to this database, WILL DECREASE your disk space. However, how much space you loose out on depends entirely on the database software you're using and also influenced by the table FORMATS. Different table formats like ISAM, InnoDB etc. - all pack data differently and hence their disk space requirements are also different.

Wow! Thanks you guys. I've been wondering about this question for ages and it's good to finally know the answer. But it is slightly worrying though to know that if your members like your site and make lots of posts, then that could take up all your host space! :)

The fact that forum posts take space and using forums takes processing time on the server seems to be things that not all people realize. Although it shoudl be pretty obvious. So if allowed, people post completely useless stuff and attachments and such. So if you are concerned about usage of database disk space get a good moderation team to remove pointless posts and possibly ban people who post utter crap. Many forum software's contain methods for deleting or moving old posts. For high traffic boards archiving old stuff is a good idea. This saves space and prevents people from replying to old topics (the so called "thread necromancy") And people using the boards should rememver this too. The diskspace, the bandwidth and the processing time (in a way) is paid by someone.

yes its recommended you set the auto prune feature on your board, it will save loads of space, but if your a board thats need those archived posts like a warez board or a cheats board this isnt the best solution

yea i guess they do not count towards hosting space, but sql space also have a limit i guess?the space taken up when a user post up a message must not be much, a few kbs i guess? depending on the length of post and data/bbcode/smileys/images ?

SQL space has limitations and of course post length and BBcode determined how much space is taken on the database. Images and other attachments aren't usually saved on the database (although it can be done) but just uploaded to the web space, so they at least count towards the max web space. It's also wise to remember that complicated bulleting board systems save a lot of meta-data for each post/topic. Post time, editing history, poster address and of course information on which board/sub-board/topic the post belongs, is it a reply to a specific post and so on.

Unless you have a really busy board with lots of long posts you should not really worry too much about disk space I have one server with one database that operates two different bulletin board sofware systems running PHP-Nuke with phpBB and PHP-Nuke running Invision (same forums as this site,but different version). I am up to 90% file capacity and about 85%. I have 100MEG storage including the database.The main site has 45MEG of downloads so that leave about 40 meg being used by both sites, and unless you really need to keep really old posts, you can always delete the oldes ones by pruning them, so you really shouldn't worry too much about your disk space.

get to learning something everydat I guess, but yeah i don't know to may websites who rum forums to max out on space yet, but also you guys failed to mention that forums soak up alot of BW as well, meaning you have to keep on purchasing more of or suffer the wrath of the forum shutting down due to eating all the bw up.I know one website has over 1 million posts on it and hasn't had to many problems well of course it keeps shutting down on me when i try to get into it.But yeah best thing to do is be real strict on the posting, set the rules as need be and make sure everyoen follows them. Of course like it was mentioned that people like to archive their forums, professtional sites mostly. but if you got topics that are like 4 years old and people are still responding to them I think its time to delete some stuff.

get to learning something everydat I guess, but yeah i don't know to may websites who rum forums to max out on space yet, but also you guys failed to mention that forums soak up alot of BW as well, meaning you have to keep on purchasing more of or suffer the wrath of the forum shutting down due to eating all the bw up.
I know one website has over 1 million posts on it and hasn't had to many problems well of course it keeps shutting down on me when i try to get into it.

But yeah best thing to do is be real strict on the posting, set the rules as need be and make sure everyoen follows them. Of course like it was mentioned that people like to archive their forums, professtional sites mostly. but if you got topics that are like 4 years old and people are still responding to them I think its time to delete some stuff.

That is what the prune feature that most BBS Message Board etcetera have is for. Some posts are just junk anyway and should be deleted on a periodic basis. All Posts comsume some space and even though a database has features that help save space, let's face it my 3 year old site wtill has many old posts and some should be pruned (or removed) but it is like a tree or Rose you cut off old stuff to promote new growth. Important posts will be kept by a good webmaster, it is basically a decision of them or whoever is administrating the site. 150 meg which is offered by Xisto should last your entire lifetime provided you properly maintain it.