xisto Community
kenobi

DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs Could it be bad SW or is it HW?

Hello. I have bought a new DVD-ROM from LG recently. But after some days it stopped reading any DVD I try. And I tried the same DVDs that it read without any problem just few days ago. And another thing, it reads CDs normally, but this is normal I guess because it doesn't use the same technology to read CDs and DVDs. At first I thought that it might be a software problem because I have installed Nero Image Drive and also Alcohol120% in the time that it stopped to work but than I tried to boot not WinXP with SP2 but a Knoppix Linux from CD and it didn't work either, so I guess it is not a software related problem and therefore it can only be bad hardware. This is waht I think, but it is only my humble opinion. So I would like to know if I am right or if it can be something else. Thanks

Could be something else.I guess this hardware is on your own PC.So, there are two ways of having a correct diagnosis.1) try to put this piece of hardware on another PC. If it works on the other PC, this means the hardware is not faulty.2) make a backup of your Windows system. Then re-install Microsoft windows. if the new install is able of reading DVD's, this means that your software was faulty.3) If a fresh windows install is unable to use the device, this is a reason for going back to the shop and ask your money back or a free repair...RegardsYordan

Dvd Rom works properly on friends computer but not in my computer

DVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

My Dvd rom reads both dvd & cd on friends computer. But when attached on my computer it shows as cd-rw and doesn't read dvds. I have tried to obtain its drivers also but failed. I know it is not h/w fault because my friends dvdrom works properly on my computer. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem with my dvd rom. It is Sony CRX320EE model

Please Help

ThankYou

-question by Ankita Milind Kamble

DVD not read

Replying to Feedbacker

I have same problem that you are facing. My DVD rom read some of DVD's but failed to open DVD's which it read in past.

Still I couldn't trace the problem area.

Please let me know if you got to know something..

-reply by manoj

Hello. I have bought a new DVD-ROM from LG recently. But after some days it stopped reading any DVD I try. And I tried the same DVDs that it read without any problem just few days ago. And another thing, it reads CDs normally, but this is normal I guess because it doesn't use the same technology to read CDs and DVDs. At first I thought that it might be a software problem because I have installed Nero Image Drive and also Alcohol120% in the time that it stopped to work but than I tried to boot not WinXP with SP2 but a Knoppix Linux from CD and it didn't work either, so I guess it is not a software related problem and therefore it can only be bad hardware. This is waht I think, but it is only my humble opinion. So I would like to know if I am right or if it can be something else. Thanks

Put it in another computer, if that doesn't work, just return it and request a new one. I've had this probleem too with a LiteOn DVD writer, first it stopped reading DVDs and few days later CDs were unreadable too. Brought it back to the store and got a new one instead :)

Its also possible that the drive is dirty. I have noticed that Burners tend to be better at reading almost any disk. But I have seen a lot of cheap drives fail to read discs after heavy use. I have a BTC DVD-ROM that can't read any master dvds or cds but it can read any burned disc. Very strange. Drives have never been the same since the out source to Taiwan but I have been noticing a increase in quality lately. I would recommend just buy a new dvd burner; the new lasers read better, faster read/write rates, and they are cheap.

Can

I have the exactly same problem!I had Pioneer DVR 110D Burner which randomly Stopped reading some of my DVDs just Recently!THe thing is that most of those DVD play on other Burners that I tried!When I insert them on mine though they didn't work!Then I bought A SonyNec Optiarc 7200s or something Burner...Brand New but still the same DVDs Continue NOT to play on mine but they play on my friends burners!Beside that I Formated hoping that it may solve the prob but no luck..THerefore I reched the conclusion of Vista Being at fault and Specifically SP1!I seriously tried many different systems (XP,Vista without SP1 even Win98) and they worked but NOT to mine!so can anyone pinpoint the exact problem about Windows software causing that trouble?

-reply by Aftha

I have the same problem, my LG DVD RAM GSA-4167B do not read any blank dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw. It worked a few days ago, but now it just don't. Please help me.

-reply by Spilvuks

my problem is similarDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDsI have the same problem. I have a Pioneer DVR 110D Burner plus aLG DVD RAM GSA-4167B burner, they work fine when using Nero 8, but if I try to cut/copy and paste in windows the drives are not recognised, and the names change to cd drive. I have even gone as far as re-installing windows xp svc pack 2, and then windows svc pack 3 with nothing else on the computer and it still wouldn’t read the drives in windows. I have spent the last few months searching the net for an answer to this problem, and the most people just advise to replace the drives.It is not the drives as I swapped them into another computer, and they worked fine, and the one from the other computer had the same problem as mine when installed into my computer.Is there really anybody who has the answer to this nightmare, as it appears the are hundreds of people with this problem and as yet I have not found a solution.Thanking you all for your timeDavid-question by David

dvdrom drive DL +_RWDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDsI have the same problem like yours.. I have an ATAPI dvd drive combo(don't know the brand)

I use it before and works great installihg games, backing up dvd's and cd's but after a while for about one and a half year(no more warranty)  it wont work.

The display name suddenly changed to cd-drive (strange), and when I try to open it , it sais please insert cd into drive.. But when I put a dvd inside, it strarts to move and read but it only reads then nothing next. No diplay popups, nor any notifications.

I already tried cleaning, uninstalling and updating but none of them works.

Anyone knows if there is still a chance for my hw dvddrive to work?

Thanks in advance...

-reply by Denver

Hi everyone,I have a optiarc dvd+-RW AD-7640A ATA Device that had alway worked fine. Lately I can't play DVD's, because when a DVD is in the drive, all my software fails to recognize that anything is in the drive.If I put a blank DVD in, I can burn DVD images all day long. It also recognizes CDs and autoruns them. I've tried several different DVD playing softwares and none will notice that a DVD is in the drive.Windows Explorer does not see anything in the drive either, when I click on the drive letter, I can explore but nothing appears in the window.I've uninstalled the driver and rebooted. The 'New hardware wizard' finds and installs the device. The troubleshooter under computer management says the drive is working properly. I've reinstalled the latest ASAPI and no change.I'm at my wits end here. I'm thinking that its a software/config problem, since I can burn dvd's and read CD's. This has been a phenomenal drive and I really need to get it working again.Thanks a million times in advance for any help you can give me.Sincerely 

i have this tooDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

I have this too what happens is it wont read due to the computer hardware not letting it be used I have ubuntu 9.04 on mine and it wont let me use dvd's I tried it on every computer though I think its the laser try to use rubbing alcohol on the laser and try it good luck to anone I'm doing it right now if the laser is tiny use the very end of the toilet paper to gently rub alcohol on it once again good luck

-reply by askmii77

questionDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

I have a dell inspiron 1545 pentium daul core dvd+-RW AD-7640A ATA Device that ejcects every disk I insert or when it does read(rarely) itsee the disks as blank then ejects and ask to insert disk. Any insite is very much appreciated. I have checked upper and lower filters and my reg keys have none.They show quiet intall,no install etc but no filters. THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE

-reply by king

Dell dvd-rw doesnDVD-Rom Doesn't Read DVDs

My Dell DVD-RW seems to only read certain dvd's. I burned a video to a blank dvd, put it in the drive and nothing happens. When I click the icon for the drive, the drive box comes up but there is no icon indicating the presence of the contents of the dvd.

I'm not sure I explained this correctly, but that's basically it. Does the Dell DVD-RW only read certain dvd's?

Thank you.

Xhen 

-reply by Xhen