xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Herbert1405241469

Second Sight No, not the movie with Bronson Pinchot

Just picked this game up last week in a bargain bin, but it's a very good game. I found it for Gamecube thinking it was another game a friend of mine was talking about, but I was plesantly surprised. I hooked the 'Cube up to my computer's TV Input so I could play it in peace, but the picture was blurry, so I bought a PC version off ebay that should be here any day now.

It starts off with the main character, John Vattic, waking up with all sorts of stitches and bandages, and generally looking like he just recovered from a train wreck. He wakes up in an isolation ward strapped to a bed, but quickly discovers that he seems to have some telepathic powers... and he's forgotten almost everything that has happened up to that point.

The game is a third person shooter/sneaker that reminds me a bit like Splinter Cell in some of the moves, such as hanging from beams and whatnot, but the extra element of psychic powers puts an interesting spin on the game.

The plot is actually really well thought out, and it has an interesting twist. The voice acting is pretty good. The characters are generally memorable. It only took me about 9 hours to beat, but overall I recommend this game for the price. You can download the full version for a 15 minute trial, and if you like it, you can buy the key from Codemasters' site to unlock it ($14.99 I believe... Well worth it.)

Ooh, another thing, if you've ever played Silent Scope in an arcade, this has a sniper rifle that reminds me of that, where you stay in Third Person, but the scope will look where you look with it... really well done:

Posted Image

https://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.pngpc/second_sight/screenshots.html

That's pretty interesting, the psychic powers puts an extra twist to the game which kinda brings me back to Star Wars Jedi Academy. That was really fun. Although I'm not exactly a big fan of shooting-games, I think the price is pretty well worth it. I've found dozens of pretty fun puzzle games over the net (have nothing better to do) especially with realArcade and most of them take like $10-$30 to unlock. Quite a hefty amount if i should say.

Yeah, that's the full game, but it has a 15 minute timer, which isn't really even enough to get it all configured (controls and graphics) and get past the main cutscenes, and you get about 5 minutes of actual play time :) I bought the game off of ebay, so I'm having lots of fun :) But if you buy it off their site, you don't have to worry about shipping or anything, and it's well worth $15.I also just realized that this was done by the same people that made TimeSplitters, which I haven't played but heard it was a very good game.

Hmm... the screenshot does look appealing. Downloading the trial now. I've been looking around for a shooter for quite some time now. Didn't find anything worth my time after Doom 3, HL2 and GTASA.

Ooooh - I just bought this game for $5 :P off the Bangkok Roadside. I so absolutely love it. Anybody who likes the STEALTH genre of games will totally like this one.The psychic powers no doubt adds a totally different dimension to the game - but what I like best about it is how it keeps alternating between FLASHBACK levels where you were just a normal human being and used firearms in your missions.. and next moment you are back to present, where you're devoid the firearms but are equipped with AWESOME psychic powers. In a way it really tries out your patience and sneaking skills - almost as if it was happening in real life.Yeah - it gets kinda boring in some places, as you can save the game only at prefixed CheckPoints. Sometimes these checkpoints are at pretty long intervals and you die hundreds of times over before you can cross over. But nevertheless AWESOME GAME :oI'll try and post some screenshots too. Regards,m^e

This sounds and looks like a pretty interesting find indeed. Kind of weird that I've never heard of it bfore now... maybe I did and jsut dont remember..Regardless the premise sounds really cool. I love when games find ways to mix up gameplay (the flashbacks m^e mentioned) without making it something that is stupid and irrelevant to the story. Thios way you get storyline AND variety, good stuff.I'll have to take a look around and see what I can do about getting my grubby little mits on a copy.

yeah, I also think that it is great game (and it is game from PS2!), but for example that AWESOME psychic powers- few of them are only for few scenes and in other scenes you cant use then, physic is not so funny like in HL2 and you can lift things up but not throw..., and that savepoints, and few levels(for example that mental home or what) but thats all- anyway i think that it is great game and dont think that I dont like it , i just said all its better than 80% otrher games so... :o

Man, the demo is terrible :P.A 633mb download for just 15min. I mean, I got the hold of the controls and Pfft! It's gone.11 pounds (roughly 800 Rs) is a little too much for my skin ... especially for a game. My folks will have my head if I spend that much for a game! Wonder how I can still get to play it? :o

Edited by abhiram (see edit history)

This game is just terrible :o . From the start, the controls and mouse movements are just terrible. After all the trouble I went through to obtain a copy, the game seems hardly worth the effort. Let me elaborate in detail.First of all, there was something wrong with the sound. Every dialogue sounded like the Chipmunks. But, after glancing through the README, I updated my nforce2 drivers and the sound was fixed. Then for some very wierd reason, the game is very unstable on my system. I've infact, created a special gaming profile in WindowsXP and stopped all the services (even networking and CDRW) and closed all apps, reduced the graphics to 640x480x60 and switched off the music and sound altogether and tried playing the game. Even then, it restarted like 5 times! And because of that, I had to play the bloody training level 5 times ... from the freaking start because there isn't even a save option! And I can't skip the crazy cutscenes in between. Finally, with great difficult I could finish the training and came to the next level where he searches for the patient records. The AI is just terrible. There's this particular situation where a Surgeon sees me and starts running. But instead of running away or hiding, he runs to and fro between 2 adjacent rooms without even caring about me. I mean, he keeps running to and fro even whether I stand next to him or far away from him!The mouse movement is so bad! I just hate the locking system in the game. When they converted it from PS2 to PC, why didnt' they get rid of the stupid thing. It's so difficult to fire with it when it locks on it's own to whoever it wishes. And once you lock up, the mouse isn't smooth any longer. Switching from target to target is very difficult. Also, the mouse rotation while he's walking isn't free and feels very constrained even during free roam. The graphics are also not that great. I mean, of course the PSI effects and stuff are really cool, but the PDA that pops up when you press TAB is the shittiest looking thing I've ever seen. And the map in the bloody PDA doesn't even refresh if it's open. Everytime you want to refer to the map in the PDA, you have to first exit from the map mode and open again to get your current location. And no HUD map!On the whole, I would say this was one of the worst games I have ever played in terms of controls. The story is pretty cool and the concept is awesome. But everything else sucks!

Dude - something seriously wrong with your system. It plays at 800x600 on my system without a hitch. I use my onboard SoundMax card (since my SBLive Platinum popped) and a pretty cheap & old GeForce Video card. My game works absolutely smooth - and the graphics I get is really crisp. Not a single problem with mouse.. But yeah - as you said, that surgeon's got real bad AI - but that's about it. As you progress further - all other guards and cops can follow your movements real well. Starting 2 levels down you gotta be ULTRA-SNEAKY to make your way anywhere.BTW - my CPU is P4 3Ghz and I got 1.5Gigs RAM. That might make a difference.

That sounds like a game I'll have to pick up for my sibs. They're more into the shooting games than I am. *Grins* One of my brothers is pretty much a Splinter Cell addict.I like that the storyline is actually thought out instead of merely thrown together as an afterthought. That's my biggest complaint about newer-generation systems: so much effort goes into making the graphics rock that a lot of creators sort of forget that there's supposed to be some sort of story/point behind the game. *grins*

Yeah, I have no idea why you had so much trouble with it working on your computer. Had no trouble with it myself. I would recommend just buying it for a console cheap on ebay if you're having that much trouble with it.

I gave the Gamecube version to my younger brother and he blew through the first half of the game no problem. Then my parents told me to take it back because it was too violent for him hahaha. He was rather ticked at that. :o

Yeah I agree about the story. It actually has a really good twist to it towards the end that explains stuff.

I just got done reading a good called "Improbable" by Adam Fawer that I recommend. You can get the hardcover for the same price as the paperback from amazon.

Here's a brief summary I plucked from Amazon.com

"David Caine is not only a compulsive (and unlucky) gambler who owes a Russian mobster big bucks but he also suffers from violent epileptic seizures. In a desperate attempt to salvage what's left of his life, he agrees to be a guinea pig for an experimental drug. The medicine acts quickly to control his seizures, but it does have one frightening side effect: the ability to see the future. Thinking he has gone mad and being stalked by avaricious government scientists eager to use his power for their own gain, Caine goes on the lam. Teaming up with his schizophrenic twin brother and a rogue female CIA agent with secrets of her own, he must learn to use his new ability to survive against the powerful forces aligned against him. Although this brisk read is full of seat-of-the-pants and keep-you-guessing action, it occasionally gets bogged down in dry scientific explanations of probability theory and quantum mechanics (which can always be skipped over).This freshman offering from Fawer is highly recommended for both adventure and sf readers."

The whole thing reminded me kind of like the approach that the guy who write The Da Vinci Code took. You learn about stuff as you read. The "facts" though aren't as skewed as they were in The Da Vinci Code, but the ideas are interesting.

The problem is I don't have a console. In any case, here are my specs:AMD 2600+Asus A7N8XVM-400Nvidia Geforce4mx onboard (64MB shared RAM)Nforce2512MB RAM160GB HDD.Get continuous system restarts and mouse is very irritating, especially while firing. The problem persists even when I stopped all possible services for the current hardware profile including NET and CDRW.

Edited by abhiram (see edit history)