xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ronalddarcey

Msconfig For Windows 2000

In Windows 98 I loved using the MSCONFIG to set startup programs. However, they have taken it out in Windows 2000. Does anyone know if there is something like the MSCONFIG for Windows 2000? I know they reactivated it for Windows XP and it's a great little tool to have. Any info would be appreciated.

If you want a program to automatically start up when you log on, you can put a shortcut in Startup on the Start Menu (I think that works in 2000), or you can add a registry key (with regedit) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. (Again, I think this works, I don't know for certain under 2000.)

Windows 2000 doesn't have any MSCONFIG utility, but WinXP DOES. So you can easily grab the one off XP and run it on 2000. Runs without a hitch.

If you're too lazy to take it off someone's XP - you can download it right here: http://www.techadvice.com/specs/files_dl.asp?fnid=3398288

It's only about 147K - very small util, but lets you edit the:

Services List

Startup List

win.ini

system.ini

boot.ini

Let's you select the boot mode for next reboot (Normal, Diagnostic, Selective)

Pretty handy tool :)

Have fun,

m^e