xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

Cube Domain: A Word About Indians & Their English

Granted, that may be hard to do since you're from India but just try. I'm sure the Moderators will go a little more easier on you since your from India. USA people have zero tolerance.

Best,

Andy

57789[/snapback]

Cube Domain, man, how on earth did you get that idea that spelling mistakes are synonymous with people from India. In 99% of the cases I've personally seen (having studied in an american univ. myself) Indians speak & write grammartically far better constructed sentences than any given american - not to mention their extensive vocabulary. This happens to be a hard fact, my friend and this very fact never failed to elicit copious amounts of praise from all our american professors. :) Don't forget the fact that we learn to read and write english from DAY 1 of our Kindergarten School... Every single subject in our whole schooling career except, of course, our native languages, are taught in English. I wonder why the univs still consider english as our second language. Heh. Anyway.. funny to hear comments arising out of such misconceptions. I feel lucky that you didn't bring up the Snake charmers and elephants as yet :) So far I'd give you the benefit of doubt, as you might not be aware of our education system - but now that you are informed, I hope you won't make the same mistake again :)

No hard feelings and No flaming please.

Regards,

m^e

P.S. This comes as a response to a thread which was junked coz it had been started by a spammer.

Yes, I read that post and I now regret for not replying to it then. Anyway, I am glad, you bought over this issue. There are many people who still think, Indian people have a poor hold over English Language. Indians who have been learning English from day 1 will not have such problems, atleast If you ask me, I have never seen guys here speaking broken english. Exceptions are the people who learn English a bit late due to its increasing demand in commercial world. English is considered here as a professional language. I sometimes feel that the media is to blame for all this confusion. I've seen so many documentries who are usually interested in shedding light on the backward and underdeveloped part of India. When I talk to foreigners, Its is common for me when they are curious about my internet connection or my language. They feel, Internet connection is a privilege that I am enjoying here. When they don't understand, India even though being a developing country has major cities which are quite developed as any other cities in the world. The culture here is highly influenced by the western community.

Yeah - moreover there's one more fact to consider. Some of the very best programming brains in the world are from India, not to mention the millions of good and average coders. If english wasn't our strong forte, what language do we use for coding ? Hindi ?? :) :)

SANSKRIT is the best language suited for computers.

Its a fact, Don't belive me, Go Google It!

1064327217[/snapback]

Yup .. Call me crazy but i just did it :)

LINK

GOOGLE Search

Indian folks have a good knowledge of the english language, sorry .. but leaving the exception of 10% people who have a bad english grammar as well as accent, I guess most of us nowadays r brought up to study english as the first language. I speak english at home being a marathi. But any average indian would be able to communicate in english in a given situation PERIOD !

Living outside india makes it easier to see the way indians speak english. I had this friend from hostel, a south indian guy came a year n half ago to study in dubai. The guy got admission in an american university .. and hell i can see the difference. Except that he still pronounces "monkey" as "mungee" :)

The problem that shows here is ignorance, and stereotype. I apologize about my own conformity but you have to understand, I live in a country filled with hypocrisy. It may seem sad that I've actually come to say this but it’s quite true actually, if you think about it. While everyone here goes along and pretend we're all equal and stuff, we're all really racists on the inside. On TV, I’ve even seen a grotesque saying against a race. "I'm almost as dirty as a Frenchmen." It’s all in good humor of course but sooner or later, someone's going to believe that.Not much has been labeled here about Indians, but regarding Asians, they believe their vocabulary suck. While that's true in most cases (mainly due to dialect), you can't just say that about all Asians.Throughout all that, nowhere can you find racism more prevalent than in Indiana, USA. I mean, someone I know went there and was going to a gas station to buy a bottle of water. That guy's Asian, by the way. When coming up to pay, all the clerk told him was, "I’m sorry, but I can't help you." His reply was after thinking about what to say was, "Choosing between my own self-preservation, I would rather be selfish." Now there’s some food for thought.Having said that, I apologize for my stereotypical-ness. I'll try to avoid judging people throughout life from now on.

Naah.. we aint flaming here.. and its not about you. We are just clearing some of the misunderstanding that most of the people from the west have. We don't say that we are perfect, but when people start giving names, that is where things get serious.

Where fact is concerned, it is true that in India (and even in other Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore and now-a-days, even Korea), English is taught as the primary language in schools. A lot depends on the kind of school that one goes to though. For instance, within the freely available public educational system that teaches children through primary school, will usually teach subjects in the state's official language (https://a'>any of 22 official regional languages), leaving the national official languages of English and Hindi to be considered as second languages.

However, for the larger part, most if not all public schools and board affiliated private schools teach all subjects in English, while also teaching Hindi as a second language; and, allowing for an option, open to the student to learn another third language (usually a fireign language like French, German, Spanish or even a regional language of India).

The official https://l'>languages of India are English and Hindi, with most if not all central (federal) communication happening in English. Also, most legal communication is carried out in English, especially in the higher courts.

Also of interest, is the increasing presence, of people from Asia dominating in spelling and knowledge driven areas. https://s'>link 1, https://l'>link 2.

People from Asia generally put a great deal of emphasis on education (historically, only people of high standing were the ones who would educate themselves; this has lead to the common person aspiring to reach higher levels of social recognition through education).

I think it actually depends on people taking their time and putting effort into it. A lot of people, including the west and east do have very good English skills. However, it is the application of such that is often the illegible *crap* that we see.I have noticed on alot of forums, people often mix-up texting short-hand with typing, this also the case with IRC and IM.If people took their time and put the necessary effort into it, then much confusion across so many comunities wouldn't occur (as frequently).For me, it takes longer to type in short hand or in 133t, becuase I am not used to it. (If you don't know what 133t is, take a hyke to wikipedia). When texting however, I can only "type" in short hand/133t, because I am used to it.